Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Review: Wet n Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Single in Penny (with a surprise twist!)

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of Wet n Wild. And when they underwent their big 2010 makeover earlier this year, I discovered so many fantastic new products that I kind of had to step back and just enjoy the ones I had for a bit. So there are actually still many products in the core collection that I have yet to try, one of which was Penny. Even though I'm a HUGE fan of copper and bronze eyeshadows, I just never got around to trying this eyeshadow single. Until, that is, the lovely Yuliya (aka Cutiegingerbread) sent me that surprise gift a while back, and included not one, but two fabulous extras (the first being the best black liquid liner I've used to date, and the second being Penny).

I'm pretty much running out of ways to say thank you to Yuliya, because seriously, introducing me to a black liquid liner of that caliber was more than enough to rock my world. But now this? OK, let me just show you why this eyeshadow is so mind-blowing to me (and it's not going to be what you expect, I promise):

Wet n Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Single in Penny (retail: $1.99 at most drugstores)

My best way to describe this shade is pinkish-copper with gold shimmer. There is no sparkle to this shadow--only very fine shimmer. In certain lighting, the copper comes out more, while in other lighting the pink is more apparent. It's a stunning sort of rose-gold shade that I think would look lovely on many different skintones.

Here are some swatches taken in different forms of lighting:


I've done my best to illustrate the chameleon-like quality of the shade. I think the name "Penny" is very fitting, since it really does remind me of a brand new US Penny. You know how new pennies have that pinkish cast to them? That's exactly what you get with this shadow.

I thought I'd try using Penny as a wash from lashline to crease and blended upward. Unfortunately, as you will see in the following pics, it really doesn't work for me as a wash. I think, pardon the pun, it sort of washes me out and the pink in it makes my eyes even look a bit puffy. Perhaps if I had used a brown shade in the crease, it would have given my eyes more depth and dimension. I'm not giving up on using Penny on my eyes, but I'll let you be the judge:


But here's where I had my Ah-Ha moment! As I was applying Penny to my eyes, I kept saying to myself, "Wow, this color...it's so gorgeous...it really reminds me of something..." And then it hit me: NARS Orgasm! I'm not claiming this to be an exact dupe, but it sure does have that pink-with-gold-shimmer type feel of Orgasm!

So naturally, after I got done applying this to my eyes, I took out my blush brush and swiped a little on my cheeks:


Do you see that lovely pink shade on my cheek with the fine gold shimmer across my cheekbone? That's Penny and Penny only! I'm wearing nothing but Penny on my cheeks here! I don't know about you, but I think this looks pretty great as a cheek color!

Now, I do want to warn you that, on my oily skin, this color didn't last as long on my cheeks as it did on my eyes (but naturally, I applied way less to my cheeks than I did to my eyes). BUT, in the days since this first experiment, I have tried using a matte pink blush first, and then topping that off with just a light dusting of Penny and the results have been fabulous! It lasts all day when I wear it over a matte blush.

For fair skintones, I think you could get away with wearing Penny by itself as a blush (you might need a face primer first though, just to increase the staying power if you've got oily skin). But for deeper skintones (anything over NC30, I'd say) this would look STUNNING as a highlighter/bronzer on the forehead, cheekbones, etc. Or of course layered over your favorite matte blush.

As a highlighter, bronzer, blush or eyeshadow, I think $1.99 is a VERY worthy investment for this eyeshadow.

I'm officially calling Wet n Wild
Penny "The Poor Gal's NARS The Multiple".

Thanks again, Yuliya, for rocking my world not once but twice!

Do you already own Penny? Have you tried it as a blush or highlighter? I'm sure I'm not the first to try using it in this capacity and I certainly hope I'm not the last! If you have it, give your cheeks a little swipe and see what you think!
SHARE:

30 comments

  1. Love it! I'm going to get one this week - great review, and what a wonderful multi-tasker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I have this but never really reach for it as a shadow- but it looks so great as a blush! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought this last week! It really makes my blue eyes pop, too. What's great is it's a lot more pigmented than I thought.

    That's funny that you used it as a blush, I never would have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! I want Penny. I regret not using my WnW coupons a few months ago to get more singles and palettes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect timing! I've had this for a couple weeks now, and honestly never really touched it (mostly because I'm not super fond of warm eyes in the gloomy weather I've been experiencing lately), but this changes things! Will definitely be trying this out as a blush/highlighter! =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. this single was my first purchase from the new Wnw line back in the spring, and i adore it on my blue eyes (it looks especially awesome with a double-ended crease in chocolatey brown) but i never thought of trying it as a blush! cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's a great idea! I have this and like it on my eyelids (hazel eyes that go more green than brown). But I LOVE it as a blush/highlighter. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, but I think Penny looks really good on your eyes with the bronzey eyeliner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Penny is a Dupe of Mac Expensive Pink, also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Penny! I think it might be my fave wnw product.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww ur welcome <3

    and OMG wat a discovery =] yay for multitaksers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's a lovely dupe!!! thanks for your swatches and discovery :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love love love this shade as well! It's the only single I own from WnW, although I own countless other eyeshadows from them. It was actually PoorCollegeStudent, who commented above, that gave me the idea to purchase it! I can't wait to try this as a blush, I totally agree with you, it's such a chameleon shade!

    Love your great blog, thanks for all the great deals, products, and posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, great review, and thanks for the tip!

    Adele

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! I bought Penny (and all the other singles) during the Rite Aid BOGO/All You coupon craze a while back, but never used it! Guess what I'm doing tomorrow? :-) BTW, I think it looks fabulous on your eyes, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm going to have to go check WetnWild eyeshadows...It looks great! Thanks for the post ;-)

    http://meimeisbeautyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. As an acne-/clog-prone person, I have as yet been too scared to use eyeshadows as blush. But I bet if I looked at the ingredients in blush vs shadow, there would be no difference. Maybe I should pick up Penny and do some comparing, 'cause that looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It actually reminds me of MAC AMber Lights :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did not get this but got "Nutty"-great daytime color and applies like a dream.You need this, G.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I also love this eyeshadow and discovered that it was a great blush early on - glad you did, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Gang! Walgreens still has them for 50% off. My local store has the little yellow tags on the Wet and Wild and I believe the end date of the sale is 10/30.

    Also if you read All You magazine, they sent out another 5.00 off 10.00 purchase coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh mah gah! I love this! WHY haven't tried any of the new Wet N Wild stuff?! This has to change. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW! Thank you all so much for the lovely comments, and I really appreciate those of you who said you like this on me as an eye color. I still don't think it looks that great on my eyes, but i do adore it as a cheek color and I hope that those of you who already own "Penny" will report back if you try it on your cheeks! I'd LOVE to know what you think!

    And JoElla, thanks so much for the tip about Walgreens. I had forgotten that this was a month-long sale! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Why do you say it's like NARS The Multiple in Orgasm? Because you can use it on eyes and cheeks or because the shade/glitteryness is more similar to The Multiple than the regular Orgasm blush?

    I think I'll be picking this up the next time i stop by CVS though!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Penny is a MAC expensive pink dupe. I owned MAC e.p. and WNW penny at the same time, they are the exact same shadow. I swapped them both away, as I couldn't make them work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  26. lol what a cool post. it's pretty awesome that you used it on your cheeks too. It gave your cheek a golden sheen like nars orgasm. it looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just bought a blush today, NYX powder blush in Terra Cotta. The moment it caught my eye it reminded me of Nar's Orgasm. Thoughts or opinions?

    ReplyDelete
  28. can totally agree with you on it being sort of dupe for orgasm. i read your post and took out my mini orgasm illuminator and guess what. they have the exact same shade! :) now i can set my illuminator with penny and ti would be a great highlight for my NC42 skin tone! thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Penny is also a dupe for Mac's 'Expensive Pink' eyeshadow. Thought you might find that interesting ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig