Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, October 1, 2010

Review: NYC Rose Kiss and Mulberry lip glosses

I know I've been talking a lot lately about the limited edition NYC Berry Bloom collection, but darnit, this collection has such a lovely assortment of products and shades--it might be my favorite fall collection so far (considering the low, low prices of the products, it's no wonder). 

Over the past few weeks I've reviewed several items from this collection (click here if you missed my past reviews) and today I'd like to show you my most recent purchases. I bought these a few weeks ago when NYC was BOGOFREE at Rite Aid, and I also had coupons, which means I got these goodies practically for free. Yay for coupons and sales!

(click to enlarge, again to magnify)

NYC Rose Lip Gloss in Rose Kiss (retail: $2.99)
NYC Lippin' Large Lip Plumper in Mulberry (retail: $3.99)

I have to be honest with you and tell you that my expectations ended up being completely turned around with these lip colors. I thought I'd fall in love with Rose Kiss (like I did with Peony Kiss) and I thought I'd end up disliking Mulberry (as so often is the case with lip-plumping products for me).  Well dip me in chocolate and call me Sally! I never expected that I'd end up loving Mulberry and feeling "meh" about Rose Kiss.

Rose Kiss is gorgeous in the pot. Really, it's just a beautiful mid-range, cool-toned pink with very slight shimmer. I thought it was going to be one of those out-the-door-without-thinking-too-much shades, and while this does have excellent pigmentation (almost complete opacity with one swipe), it wears a little bit chalky on my lips. That's really the best way I can describe it. The pigment seems to settle into the lines in my lips, and it just doesn't look as flattering as I anticipated.  

I do want to note that this color might work better for you if you have less pigmented lips or a fairer complexion than I--so don't rule it out if you're fair-skinned.  But I think if you're an NC20 or deeper, you might be a little disappointed with this one.  But who knows--it could just be an issue with me and you may end up loving it, regardless of your skintone. You never know with these things. It just wasn't a love match for me.

But now let's talk about this Lippin' Large Lip Plumper! Wow! I was really, really hoping that this would be a wearable sheer reddish-burgundy, and that's exactly what it is! I love the just-bitten look it gives my lips, and if you look closely at the above swatches, you will see that while it doesn't really enlarge my lips too much, it does plump them up a tiny bit! I mean, the little lines on my lips seem to smooth out when I wear this gloss and I really, really love that.

As with most effective lip-plumpers, there's a tiny bit of sting to this gloss. If you read my previous post about this collection, you know that NYC uses cinnamon and ginger as "plumping" ingredients, and this gloss is also infused with Vitamin E. So the sting I feel on my lips does feel a bit like the sting of cinnamon, which is not too painful--but I do want to warn you that it's not a feeling that goes away quickly. I can still feel the slight sting on lips for about a half hour after I apply this gloss.

The one thing I do not like about this gloss is that, to me, it smells and tastes exactly like cherry-flavored cough drops. Sadly, this gets my gag reflex going a little bit when I apply it, because I absolutely cannot stand cherry-flavored cough syrup, cough drops, etc.  But you know what? I love the results so much that I power through and it hasn't stopped me from wearing this gloss at all.

I also found that for a sheer red gloss, that staying power is great. I can get three hours or more from this one, which is rare for me when it comes to sheer red glosses.  Oh Mulberry, how I love thee! I just wish you smelled and tasted differently, but I'll take you just as you are if you keep making my lips look like this!

That's it for this NYC review--I hope you found it useful! Have you purchased anything from the Berry Bloom collection yet? What are your favorites?

SHARE:

11 comments

  1. You'd think they would at least made it smell like mulberries. ;)

    That rose embossing would make it almost impossible for me to spoil it. It's soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I've never tried a plumping lip gloss before. I think I'll give Mulberry a try. It looks so pretty on your lips and in your swatches. And I'm so glad to hear it doesn't taste like the NYC Kiss gloss. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I actually agree with you about Rose Kiss. It does kind of settle into the lines of my lips. Shame, since it is so pretty in the pan! BUT, I actually find that it looks fantastic if I pair it with a bit of gloss; the addition of gloss makes Rose Kiss stay in place, if that makes sense. haha!

    I'm thinking I might just have to go back and buy another of Peony Kiss though! To die for! (Though, you don't have to since it's so cheap!) =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww too bad the NYC one is kinda chalky, because the color and the packaging are really pretty!! :)

    Gorgeous lips lady! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "dip me in chocolate and call me Sally"? LOL you are ADORABLE!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is disappointing. The peony gloss looked so moist, like a rich creamy lipstick. This one does look dry and chalky, it's kind of surprising since they are the same product, just in a different shade.

    That lip plumper really does work, or it does a great job of giving the illusion of plumper lips. I might have to go get some of that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Lippin' Larges so really looking forward to this one! Like you I'll have to power through that icktastic scent for this gorgeous shade :-x Has anyone on the West Coast seen this yet? I know it can't have been here and gone already, not the way I stalk the store, LOL! I swear when I finally see it I'm getting one of everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore the peony kiss lipgloss, although my sister says that it is "wrong" shade on me. It turns into a shade that reminds me of fresh raspberries. I got the rose kiss lipgloss, and was meh about it as well. It's a bit too cool, and shimmery for me. (also, the texture seemed a *lot* softer then the peony kiss lipgloss. The peony kiss lipgloss is much more like a solid lipstick in a tub, whereas the rose kiss lipgloss is much more like a gloss. Maybe it was just the package I got?) However, for me, the real star of this collection is the Berry Bloom eye quad. Seriously? NYC outdid themselves on the packaging. Four eyeshadows, a primer, and a highlighter? All for 5 bucks? Wow!The sponge applicator is a different type of material then normal sponge applicators, and seems to be of much better quality then normal drugstore ones. The colors look so pretty on my brown eyes, as long as I stay away from the bright fuschia-y color. I adore this quad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and the mulberry gloss looks so pretty! I will have to pick that up on my next shopping trip, when I go get backups for the eyeshadows, and lipgloss... I may be a new reader, but I've bought a few products based on your reviews, and you haven't steered me wrong yet...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoohoo! I found the display today and picked up Mulberry, Tu-lip and Rose Kiss (thinking it was Peony, whoops). Luckily, I haven't noticed chalky-ness but I applied over a lip balm rather than bare lips, if that matters. I was pleased to find it has a little shimmer, which wasn't apparent to my eye in the compact. I'm debating on going back for the Cherry Blossom blush, but it might be too cool-toned so I need to re-read your review on that and perhaps a few others to see if I should take the plunge on it or not :) The eye palette was lovely, but again, not sure I can pull of such cool tones, especially on eyes. Anyone tried it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading your reviews because I'm interested in drugstore products but can't test them. I really like the look of both, especially Mulberry.
    But, cherry makes me gag too! I'm a fragrance person but cherry cough syrup makes me gag (so does artificial banana). So, I'm torn...beautiful color but a fragrance that will most likely gross me out. My hubby says that artificial cherry smells like urinal cakes. Being that I don't spend time in men's restrooms, I have to take his word for it!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig