Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, October 10, 2010

Review: Milani Baked Bronzer in Soleil

As is the case every October, I'm feeling pale and pasty. I've never been a tan person, but I feel extra ghostly every fall, which would be nice if I wanted to be an actual ghost for Halloween! But since I prefer a more healthy glow, I was extremely excited when I received one of the Milani Baked Bronzers for review recently.

These new bronzers are core-collection products so there's no need for you to worry about them selling out before you have a chance to get one. They're here to stay! (For a picture of what the display looks like, you can click here.)

Here's the shade I received:

Milani Baked Bronzer in Soleil (retail: around $8.99)

Let me get this out of the way right off the bat. I've heard complaints from some of you who own these bronzers that you don't exactly love the packaging. Fair enough. Based on the rumors, I prepared myself for the very worst when I first opened this bronzer. I was surprised to find none of the issues others have stated, but then again I haven't been using it for weeks and weeks so my opinion might change. But so far, I don't have a single complaint. I'm happy to report that this particular compact opens easily and closes tightly.

Second thing I'd like to mention: I've heard that these Milani Baked Bronzers are a wonderful, affordable dupe for MAC MSFs and Urban Decay Baked Bronzers. I can't personally vouch for that since I don't own the MAC or UD products (can you believe it?) but I love the idea that these are affordable dupes of those more expensive products, so all the better if they are!


The shade I received, Soleil, is actually the middle shade in this collection (with Glow being the lightest and Golden being the darkest). I love that this bronzer comes with a brush in a separate chamber underneath the powder. And guess what? The brush is actually quite nice! I find it soft against my skin, and I haven't had any issues with shedding. Nice job, Milani!

So let's take a look at some swatches:

Soleil photographed in various forms of lighting,
as well as on my cheekbone (over blush)

Please note that in the above swatches (on the left side of the collage) I used a heavy amount of product on my skin to show you the color of the product. In the picture of my cheek, I swiped Soleil on my cheekbone, on top of my existing blush (which, in this photo, seems to be applied too heavily--it didn't look this dark in real life, I promise!). The blush I used underneath Soleil was Neutrogena Healthy Skin Custom Glow blush in Berry Glow.

I'm torn because I want you to look closely at the above photo, yet I don't want you to see the cavernous pores on my cheek! So just look closely at the bronzer at the top of my cheekbone, but don't look at my pores, ok? Good. So I hope you can see the golden glow that Soleil leaves on my skin. Just a swipe or two with the accompanying brush is all I need for a lovely hint of golden shimmer and sparkle.

Speaking of sparkle, there is a bit of sparkle to this bronzer, but I've found that if you apply it with a light hand, and blend well, the sparkle isn't as heavy or noticeable as you think it might be. On me, it only really becomes visible if the light hits my face just so.

I think Soleil is a lovely golden-peach shade that would compliment a variety of skintones. I find myself reaching for it quite often these days because it's pretty darned effortless to apply. A swipe on each cheekbone, a swipe across the forehead and maybe a little touch on my chin and I'm looking all glowy and ready for the day (or evening). What's better, or easier, than that?

Do you already own a Milani Baked Bronzer? Are you thinking about trying one? I'd love to hear from you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. i think i want to try this =] lol thank u for the review!

    p.s. i think this is the most face uve shown gasppp =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Soleil and love it! I don't mind the packaging at all, it is kinda big and clunky but I only apply it once a day so it's not like I'm lugging it around. And I personally think the gold packaging looks luxe. As for the actual bronzer, it's one of the best I own with just the right amount of golden shimmer in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cutiegingerbread: It's really gorgeous in person--you should check them out! And yeah, that picture isn't really even that accurate since I photographed my face at a weird angle so that the camera would focus in on my cheekbones. Ha! :)

    Mocha Mish Mash: Thank you so much for that, honey! I'm so glad to hear you're not having issues with the packaging either. And I'm so happy you love this shade as well. Oh, and I forgot to mention but this bronzer lasts all day on my skin--sounds like it has great staying power on you as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one of these but the label on the bottom rubbed off so I can't be 100% sure the color I have. But knowing me, I got the lightest shade. :) I love mine...package & all. I swear there are so many "Milani Haters" online...no clue why. I looove Milani! Great job G! And I'm with Cute...more face plz! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh, I'm intrigued! but I'm still a little concerned because I've bought many drugstore versions of baked bronzers and they're usually too shimmery or chunky unlike the "original" MAC Mineralize Skin finish

    ReplyDelete
  6. bobbysgeel: I'm so glad you like this as well! I really love Milani and I've been super impressed with all these new core collection products so far. And LOL about the face pics!!! :) xo

    Connie: Yeah, well like I said, there is shimmer and sparkle in this bronzer, but I've found that the sparkle is kind of sparse, so it's much easier to control. I hope you love it if you try one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty :) I love that golden glow look - too bad it's Fall... I don't usually use highlighters in Fall. This reminds me of something I kinda have already too - the Physician Formula's Shimmer Strips. Obviously, that one isn't baked/dome shaped but I think it gives the same effect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's gorgeous! Def going to check this out at CVS. Nice to see your beautiful face :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post caught the attention of Milani! They linked it on their Facebook page! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty! I think it might even work on dark skin! (Yes, we women of color need the help of a bronzer too sometimes!)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig