Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, February 20, 2010

Review: New Neutrogena Healthy Skin Custom Glow Blush & Bronzer

I first spotted the display for the new Neutrogena Healthy Skin Custom Glow Blush & Bronzers a while back at Walgreens. Here's the pic of that display in case you missed that post:


So anyway, I've kind of had my eye on them ever since. What attracted me was not the bronzer side of the duo, but the blushes. They're all so pretty and wearable. So finally, when Rite Aid was having a recent 40% off on all Neutrogena products, I snagged one for myself for about 7 bucks.

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Custom Glow Blush & Bronzer in Berry Glow 
(retail: $12.99 at Rite Aid)



Even though the lid is clear, there is a mirror inside, which is nice:


As far as brushes go, while this one wouldn't be my preferred tool for application, it totally works and isn't too scratchy. If you were travelling and didn't have another brush (or wanted to re-apply this product on the go) you could get by with using this--which is more than I can say for most brushes that come in drugstore compacts.

Enough about the packaging, let's get to the product! And oh what a lovely product it is. First, the blush. It's GORGEOUS. It's got just the teeeeeniest amount of shimmer to it, which actually just gives it a sheen, rather than a full-blown shimmer. If you are a diehard matte cheek color person, I think you might be surprised at what the subtle sheen in this blush can do for you. On me, it makes me feel like my skin is just naturally glowing. And the color, which is a pinkish-berry, has just enough pink in it to give my cheeks that rosey glow that I'm on eternal quest to find in a drugstore blush.

Also, since I'm a very devoted powder blush girl, I can confirm that this is exactly the type of formula that I think my fellow powder blush girls will love. It's smooth and it blends so easily--you'll think it's a $30 blush, I swear. No chalky, crumbly powder here. And the staying power? It ROCKS. I hate--let me repeat--I HATE blushes that are gone in a few hours. What's the point of wearing blush unless it's going to stay put all day? Blush is the last thing I want to worry about having to reapply when I've got lipstick and an oily T-zone to contend with all darn day. And this blush delivers for me. I put it on in the morning and I can still see it at 5PM. That is something I don't come across too often in drugstore blushes--believe me. I've got oily skin and a lot of drugstore powder blushes either turn orange on me before end of day, or they just simply disappear from my cheeks altogether. Neither one of those things happens when I use this, and I've been using it for about two weeks straight now.

Let's take a look at some swatches:



Now please note that I really put a heavy dose of both the blush and bronzer on my hand so that you could see the colors in these swatches. You can totally control the level of pigment with both of these shades and go from super subtle glow to intense pop of color just by layering. So don't get scared by these pics--these shades do NOT go on this pigmented on the first swipe! They're sheer but buildable and they've got excellent, controllable pigmentation.

Now, let's talk about this lovely bronzer! Do you see how, in the above pics, this bronzer looks like it's almost glowing with a golden hue? That's because, blended into this very wearable light bronze shade, there is the most baby-fine golden micro-glitter running through it. Think of this bronzer as a matter bronze powder mixed with super fine golden faerie dust. That's just the best way I can describe it.

One of the things I loved about Wet n Wild Acapulco Glow was that you could never, no matter how hard you tried, apply too much. It was just one of those shades that you could build and build and not scare yourself when you caught a glimpse of your face in full sunlight. Well, I am very happy to report that this Neutrogena bronzer is exactly like Acapulco Glow, in that I can swipe it on my cheekbones, forehead, wherever, and if I'm not satisfied with the color, I can calmly go back over the color again, and even a third time to intensify it and it will still look natural, beautiful, and glowy (I know "glowy" is not a word but I'm using it anyway!).

I tried a zillion time to capture the look of this blush and bronzer on my face, but because it's so natural-looking, my camera simply could not pick it up as well as in the above swatches. So I'm afraid you'll have to trust me when I say that the bronzer is worth the full $12.99 in my opinion (which is steep, I know), because it gives my skin one of the most natural, glowy looks that I've been able to achieve in a long time. I'd say the only skintone that wouldn't work with this is those of you who cannot pull off any shade of gold at all. Because this bronzer definitely has a golden hue, so if you just can't wear gold period, I'm going to say skip this one (or just buy it for the blush, which is also well worth the price tag alone--especially if you spot a good BOGO sale).

But if you CAN wear golds, then seriously, I am begging you to try this (but be sure to buy it at a store that has a good return policy for opened products, just in case). I don't want you to be out the money if, for reasons unimaginable to me, this doesn't work for you. Not to sound like a broken record but honestly, this duo is amazing and I really hope you love it as much as I do.

So...what are your thoughts? Have you tried one of the new Custom Glow Blush & Bronzers duos yet? Are you tempted?
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. Those colors look gorgeous! I think I'll pick it up even though I just bought the N.Y.C. blushable creme stick. I guess you can never have too many blushes. Or at least, that is what I will say to justify it

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like these duos are everywhere! And I LOVE THEM. I have the ELF and Milani ones.... I'm thinking the Neutrogena one too... dare I??? Well you totally convinced me! Just have to wait for the right sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may try this if you like it so much, as I have always been too scared to try bronzers! I feel like they will look very obvious on me since I'm pretty pale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks gorgeous! Love things with sheen. I prefer matte bronzers to contour though, since contouring means you want to recede that feature, while shimmer brings forward. However, maybe I could use it as a blush?

    Wet 'n Wild Acapulco Glow was just a misnamed product. It was totally a highlighter shade, I don't even count it as a bronzer. It was my favorite thing from them though, as well as the creme liner. I'm so sad they discontinued it, their new bronzers look so dark. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. i used to use blush from neutrogena and i definitely loved it! i agree with everything you said! the only reason i don't use it anymore is because i was too lazy to go back and also it was a little pricey. do you know if cvs has it on sale? and how i can check whether my local cvs has a sale on it online or something? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it loooks PRETTY! I've been thinking about buyying some neutrogena face products, they look good

    ReplyDelete
  7. PoorCollegeStudent: lol! Well, according to *me* you can never have too many blushes, but since you just got the NYC, I'd probably wait for a good BOGO and then definitely try this one out. And of course you have to tell me what you think of it! :D

    ndoodles: Yep, if you see these on sale, I HIGHLY suggest picking one up, honey. :)

    Heather: OMG, these are a pale-girl's dream! I swear! I am so pale right now and this product is perfect for just giving my face a little extra ooomph! I think you'll love it. :)

    Ariana: To me, there are two kinds of bronzers in this world: ones that you can use as a contouring powder (like how you use yours) and ones that are designed to go on the parts of your face where the sun would naturally hit you (on your forehead right above your eyebrows, the tops of your cheek bones, tip of your nose, chin, etc.). And I would definitely consider this part of the latter category. So no, it wouldn't work if you use your bronzer as a contouring powder, but then again the WnW wouldn't have worked for you in that way either! lol.:) But actually, since you use your bronzer to contour, I think you might really like the new WnW ones (I have Princess and I'll be reviewing it soon). I don't think it's too dark for contouring. :)

    nicole: I have a link to IHeartCVS on the left hand side of this page, near the top. If you click on that, it shows you all the sales at CVS for the week and it's updated every week so you'll always know what's on sale. Hope that helps. :)

    Tiff: Hum...well if you were already thinking about buying some Neutrogena face products...allow me to twist your arm and beg you to try this one! lol! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. The packaging looks like the palettes from Mark! Pretty colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this blush/ bronzer duo and absolutely adore it! The bronzer is a gorgeous light golden brown with light shimmery. It is NOT at all orangey like other drugstore bronzer. Physicians Formula also has a golden shimmery bronzer but unfortunately it makes me break out :( I am so excited that you have a review on this! I think the blush is quite a common shade, similar to Milani Luminous or Wet n' Wild Pearlescent Pink, albeit very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BRB... gets in car... peels out... speeds to Walgreens. j/k.

    Thanks for the review. I'm soo excited. Will buy as soon as it goes on sale in my area! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wet n' Wild Acapulco Glow is available at drugstore.com!

    I swear I'm not trying to advertise, lol, I was just shopping around on just now and saw it and thought of your blog!

    Link:

    http://www.drugstore.com:80/products/prod.asp?pid=194432&catid=48032&cmbProdBrandFilter=56656


    I love this blog, by the way. It's turned me onto some fantastic low-budget makeup!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Suri: how funny! That's EXACTLY what I said when I first posted pics of this display! Great minds... :)

    Anon: Glad you are loving the bronzer as much as I am! But I have to ask--did you get a different duo than I did? Because the blush in my review is NOTHING like Milani Luminous or WnW Pearlescent Pink to me. It's actually quite a unique shade, and in my opinion, I haven't seen a similar shade from any other drugstore line.

    Susie: LOL!!! You're cracking me up! :) Please please please let me know how you like this if you get it, ok? ;)

    Anon: Oh yes, WnW Acapulco Glow is still available in tons of places (I just saw some at my local Rite Aid and Walgreens). My point was that is has officially been discontinued, so after it sells out in stores, that's it forever. So we need to snatch 'em up while we can! lol. I hope that clears it up--and thanks SO much for the kind words about my blog. So glad you're enjoying it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Khymm: Thanks! I think so too. :D

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig