Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, July 1, 2010

Review: Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstain in Feelin' Rosy

Well well well. If it isn't another new drugstore lipstain! It seems like just yesterday I was in a frenzy over Revlon's new Just Bitten Lipstains (click here and here if you missed my reviews).  And then last weekend at Rite Aid, I see one of the employees opening up a box with silver tubes that say "Color Sensational" on them. I had to immediately walk closer to see what this new product was all about (as so many of you know, I'm a nut for Color Sensational lipsticks and glosses and I've done several reviews on this blog of different shades of each). If you're a longtime reader, you know that I just about squealed when I saw that it was a lipstain! I'm freaking obsessed with lipstains (I can't even count how many I've owned over the years: Vincent Longo, Stila, Benefit, Cover Girl, Palladio, and so many others).  To date, Palladio lipstains are still my number one favorite of all-time, but I'll go into detail about that in other post (coming soon).

Let me get this out of the way before I continue: unlike most new drugstore products I review here, I do not have a photo of the actual display for Color Sensational Lipstains. Why? Well, because the employee at Rite Aid was still in the midst of putting up the display when I came along and very politely asked if I could purchase one.  She said, "Of course!" and let me choose which color I wanted, and it wasn't difficult to determine that Feelin' Rosy had to be mine.


I can't seem to locate my receipt as I write this review, so I'm going to tell you that these retail for $8.99 at Rite Aid but I could be off by a dollar either way. I do remember that I had a Maybelline coupon with me, so I got this for $1 less than retail. 

Anyway, let me cut right to the chase.  Maybelline has done it again! Everything I disliked about Revlon Just Bitten? It's not a problem with this lipstain.  The color isn't as deeply pigmented and dark as the colors I tried from Just Bitten.  Feelin' Rosy may seem dark at first, but within a few minutes on my lips, it levels out to the beautiful color that I always WANT from a lipstain. When I wear a lipstain, I want my lips to look like I've just eaten a bowl of cherries. And that's the exact effect I get from this shade.  It's not an artificial-looking rosy-berry shade, it's a natural-looking rosy-berry.  

The other thing I love is that, unlike Just Bitten, you can easily control the level of pigment you apply to your lips. One coat of Feelin' Rosy yields a soft, almost transparent berry color on my lips. Two coats and it's much more vibrant and dramatic.  Three coats and it looks like ONE coat of Just Bitten, if you know what I mean!

As for how this lipstain fades, well, that's the only downside for me.  If you look at the above collage, you'll see that after four hours, there is a visible ring of color around my lips, and this stain tends to linger on the areas of my lips that are the most chapped (my lips are dry, dry, dry right now).  BUT, I can honestly say that the ring around my lips after four hours was not as dramatic as the ring that was left after wearing Just Bitten.

Also, the flavor is very mild (not as bitter as other lipstains) and the fragrance is wonderful. To my nose, it's like a combination of watermelon and cranberry. I love it.  And the formula itself didn't further dry out my already-dry lips, which I'm very happy to report.

So no, Color Sensational Lipstains are not perfect.  But coming from someone who is totally lipstain-obssesed, I think they are superior to Revlon's version, because you can easily control the pigmentation and build for more intensity, and they wear a tiny bit more evenly (for me, at least). They smell heavenly and Feelin' Rosy is a gorgeous shade that is MUCH truer to the color on the tube than either of the Just Bitten lipstains I reviewed. I cannot wait to try out some other shades (click here to see the complete collection).

In short, Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstain has me feelin' rosy!

Have you seen these new lipstains at your local drugstores? Will you be picking up a tube when you spot them? I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen these in d/s near me yet but I might give the Maybelline Lipstains a shot.

    Oh, not sure if you've seen it in your area but, if not, here's a heads up :)

    I spotted a new NYC Limited Edition summer collection today. It's called Sun Soaked. The display includes 4 bronzers. Two of them are shimmery Color Wheel Mosaic bronzers called Starburst (lighter) and Sunburst (darker). The other two are Smooth & Natural Matte bronzers that come in a rectangular compact with triangle sponge (similar to their Smooth & Natural Matte Powder Foundation), and the shades are called Sun Glow (lighter) and Golden Glow (darker). There are also two nail polishes called Coral Reef and Pink Paradise, and two Kiss Glosses with the same names. Also, two waterproof eyeliner pencils in Turquoise and Bronze Gold, and two quads in Shore something (iirc, - I'm going totally from memory, didn't have my cam or pen/paper with me - a beige, two browns and a teal blue) and another another quad a purple shade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this lipstain! It's funny because of all the ones I have played with, this definitely has the least amount of staying power-- but I LOVE that it goes on smoothly and not all streaky, it smells good, and quite frankly I simply adore the Color Sensational line. I have about 6 lipsticks and 2 glosses so far =) Thanks for the review!! I always tend to agree with you so I love reading your reviews =) =)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig