Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Review: Revlon Just Bitten Lipstain + Balm in "Twilight"

If this seems like deja-vu to you, it's probably because I just reviewed this product in the color "Frenzy" (click here for that review, plus pictures of the Just Bitten display and more info).

So if you read that review, you know that I had mixed emotions about this product. On the one hand, the lipstain part of this dual-ended tube is very pigmented and the product doesn't have that signature bitter taste that most lipstains tend to have. But on the other hand, while the other side of the tube is a very nice, moisturizing balm (made to be worn over the lipstain) these two products worn together don't provide me with the long-wear benefit of a tradtional lipstain.

So...I mentioned that I was going to try wearing the lipstain by itself for a while (without the accompanying lip balm layered on top of it) but guess what? The color of "Frenzy" was just too dark and too bright of a red for me to wear on a consistent basis, so I ended up going back to CVS and exchanging it for this shade:

Revlon Just Bitten Lipstain + Balm in Twilight (retail: $8.99)

For some reason I just could not capture the real color of this tube in photos. In real life, it's more of a neutral berry shade and not nearly as rust/brick red as it appears in these pics.


I was HOPING that, on my lips, Twilight would be a beautiful medium-tone neutral berry shade. Not too warm, not too cool, but just right.

But then...


I got RED. Again. Seriously, this is almost a true red, and just a tiny bit darker than Frenzy (Frenzy is a very bold, bright, cherry red).


In both of these pictures, I was wearing Twilight for about 20 minutes and I did NOT apply the balm after I applied the lipstain. As you can see, it settled into the lines on my lips (which yes, are dry and chapped again because I was out in the wind a lot over the weekend) and the application was REALLY uneven. I found that this lipstain takes to certain areas of my lips more than it does to other areas. So in the end, it just looks really uneven and spotty and it fades to look even MORE uneven.

Based on how many times I've tried not one, but TWO colors in the Just Bitten collection, I'm afraid that this product is just not for me. First of all, I am way too disappointed by the color in the tube vs. the color that appears on my lips. Second, it makes my lips look even more dry than they are. Third, I don't like the way this product wears off (uneven, spotty, and leaves me with a ring around my lips like I'm wearing dark lipliner). Fourth, the staying power decreases significantly when I top the lipstain with the lip balm.

Even though the taste is better than most lip balms on the market these days, I don't think that's nearly reason enough for me to return this and try to find yet another shade that might work for me. I've run out of options because all of the other shades in the display are either way too cool for my skintone or even DARKER in the tube than Twilight and Frenzy.

For my money, I'd much rather buy another Palladio Lip Ink (click here to see my review). In my humble opinion, they are more true to the color of the tube, they go on more smoothly, they wear better and the shades are prettier. I think the Palladio lipstains are the best drugstore-level lipstains on the market (and much better than even the Cover Girl Outlast Lip Stains--click here for that review).

So again, this is just my opinion, but if you're new to the world of lipstains, I would start with Palladio Lip Ink. I really do think it's the best affordable lipstain for beginners (and also veterans)!

So...have you tried a lipstain from the Revlon Just Bitten collection? Do you love this product or do you share my opinion? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. Have you purchased any other shades of the Palladio lip inks? Would you mind doing a lip swatch at some point? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lip stains are such nice ideas... too bad formulations haven't been the best! Oh well... please do let us know when there's an better one out there. I would try the Palladio one but I haven't been able to find it at Ulta. Maybe I'll stop by Sally's or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't and wouldn't because I absolutely, completely hate all things Twilight. Whether or not this is related, I refuse to buy anything even close.

    UGH.

    I also have not had good luck with lipstains in the past. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jenny, I wouldn't buy this just on the basis that they are jumping on all the Twilight/vampire hype. I dislike all things even remotely related to Twilight, and I can say that because I did actually read the first book, and it was garbage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought the "Gothic" lipstain and I love it! For me it has great staying power even with the balm. It was a very dark red, but that's what I usually wear so it didn't bother me.

    I will keep an eye out for the Palladio ones however! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was hoping I wasn't too harsh. :) Didn't mean to offend anyone. Just seems like everywhere I go I have to see that garbage.

    I can't even hide my disgust when I see all the Twilight crap in the stores anymore!

    But it is bound to stop sometime, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. J: Your comment made me bust out my giant box of makeup and dig through it like a maniac last night, trying to find my other shades of Lip Ink! lol. I couldn't find them, but I'll keep looking and get back to you! :)

    ndoodles: Hi, honey! Always nice to see you around here again. :) And yes, the Palladio Lip Inks are worth a trip to Sally, in my opinion. :)

    Jenny: I actually haven't read the books OR seen the movies, so it's hard for me to comment either way (the first time I saw a "Team Jacob" shirt I thought they were referring to the tv show "Lost"! lol!). But you are certainly entitled to your opinion! :) I am a True Blood kind of gal, so I don't think I'd enjoy the Twilight series (plus, I'm clearly not the target demographic for it!) but again, I can't really comment either way. :)

    chickadee1066: LOL! Like I said to Jenny, I can't comment because I haven't seen the movies or read the books. I love True Blood and I've read the first Sookie Stackhouse book, so I guess I just don't need another vampire saga in my life right now. lol! :)

    Avalon76: That is wonderful to hear! I am SO glad this product works for you, and even better that you can use the balm and have it work well too! This gives me so much hope that there are others out there who can use this with success. I just wish I were one of them! Thanks so much for taking the time to share this feedback with us! :)

    Jenny: Eventually, the hype will die down. It *always* does. I've been around for many, many crazes and, at some point, they ALL fade into obscurity, only to make way for the next new thing. Promise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was really curious about this lipstain especially because of the balm at the end.

    A few weeks ago I grabbed one on a whim and without any coupon and/or sales (the horrors! I am utterly ashamed) I got the pinkish shade. The name escapes me now.

    I went into my car and ripped the packaging off and started to apply it to my lips and noticed right away that it was sooo hard to apply it evenly to my lips. When I tried to even it out throughout my lips I was putting on more stain and the color intensified. I then applied the balm and it did feel nice going on.

    In my car mirror all seemed okay until I went into an office bathroom and was horrified when I looked in the mirror!!! There in front of me were lips painted in vibrant neon pink!!! I immediately washed it off and it took awhile to get it all off too.

    Meh, I'm with you, I'd stick with my Palladio Ink.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got the lightest shade and instead of applying it on my entire lips, I just put it on my upper lip, then press my lips together when the stain is still kinda wet. That gives me a softer stain, more of a subtle sweet pink, very youthful look. Will definitely look for the Paladio Ink. The color swatch is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LT: OK first of all, you paid for price for it? What? LOL!! ;) I had to laugh about you trying it on in your car. I like to call my car the "lip color dressing room" because I seriously have tried on more lip products in my car then probably anywhere else! Ha! But darn you, Revlon, for making you think the color was nice...until you saw it in the office bathroom! The horror! I hate it when that happens. :( I guess it's back to the lovely Lip Ink for both of us!

    Diem Ho: I actually tried using that method as well, and it looked great at first, but it still wore off inconsistently for me. :( I'd love to know what you think of the Lip Ink if you try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just for the record...just bitten brand was out WAY before twilight :)
    anyway, I just got the color passion ( pink) I love it!! I knew it was going to be bright but since that was what I wanted it worked for me. I do not like the lipbalm. It made my lips to sticky. I just skipped that part and used some burts bees over it. I like it a lot better than the maybeline ones. Just keep in mind the colors will be bright, maybe just put a little on at a time or blot it right away. It may not be for everyone but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crystal: I think you may be getting the Revlon "Dark Pleasures" collection confused with this new Just Bitten line. Dark Pleasures had a color called "Just Bitten" that did come out long before the Twilight movies, however this new lipstain collection, called Just Bitten, came out AFTER the Twilight movies. Hope that clears it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just tried Just Bitten, though in Passion, and I actually had a bit different of an experience. The colour of the tube was very similar to the colour on my lips (after about 4-5 passes I'm guessing? I just coloured like I would with a marker xD) though I agree with the lip balm. It just kind of sucked. And I also rub my lips together a lot and had a ring around my lips after about 5-6 hours. I haven't tried the Paladio Lip Ink, and actually hadn't heard of it until your reviews, but I am going to give that a shot next.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig