Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, May 30, 2010

Review: New Revlon Just Bitten Lipstain + Balm

So as many of you know, I've had both car issues and computer issues for the past few weeks. This has not only kept me away from my blog, but also from the drugstores (the horror!). Yesterday I had a chance to finally get my booty over to CVS and I was totally blown away by all the new products I spotted! In addition to this review, please stay tuned because I also found the new Maybelline Color Sensational collection and FINALLY I saw the Limited Edition Salsa Sun collection too! I bought some goodies from both collections to share with you, so please check back soon for those reviews.

Of all the new goodies I spotted, THIS is the one I was the most excited about:

Revlon Just Bitten Lipstain + Balm collection (retail: $8.99 each at CVS)

This collection features ten shades, with something to offer for every skintone and taste:

L to R: Midnight, Forbidden, Flame, Gothic, Lust

L to R: Passion, Twilight, Frenzy, Beloved, Crave

Clearly, Revlon is playing off the current vampire craze with not only the name of the product, "Just Bitten", but also with the names of the shades (Twilight couldn't be more obvious, right?).

But what REALLY sets these lipstains apart from all the others on the market is the dual-end tube. One end features the standard felt-tip marker for the stain, while the other end features a lip balm. That's what totally sold me on this product and I knew immediately that I had to get one (good thing I had a $2 off Revlon coupon in my purse!).

Revlon Just Bitten Lipstain + Balm in Frenzy (retail: $8.99)

I love how the cap on this lipstain has an inner core that helps keep the tip from drying out:



Pretty much a standard felt tip applicator and, when applied, it feels like all of the others (Cover Girl, Palladio, etc.). In other words, it feels like you're running a Sharpie over your lips, which takes a bit of getting used to if you've never used a lipstain before.

Now for the part that I'm sure you're the most curious about (I know I was): the balm!


At first glance, this totally reminded me of a pencil eraser! It sticks out a lot from the tube (in real life, I'd say the balm extends about 1/2 an inch from the base of the tube, which is kind of strange).

Also, there is no way to retract the balm! I tried for a good ten minutes to twist the base of the balm and it does not budge. I also tried just pushing gently on the stick itself to see if it would retract into the case, but no dice. It's just a half inch worth of balm that juts out from the tube and stays there. So weird, huh?


The good thing is that this balm is VERY solid. I don't foresee it becoming so soft that it starts to break off from the tube, but you never know.

So, how do I like this product so far? I have to say, I've got mixed emotions. My biggest complaint is the complaint I have about basically *all* lipstains. what you see in the tube is never what you get on your lips. I was really hoping for a beautiful deep berry shade in Frenzy, but what I got is actually much more of a deep red. These pics actually make the color look REALLY red, but in real life there IS more of a berry hue to this shade (but it's still pretty red).


Here is the lipstain on my lips WITHOUT the balm. This is just after applying the stain (please excuse my very dry lips--they're super chapped at the moment).


As the directions indicate, you need to wait 30 seconds before applying the balm.


And here are my lips after applying the balm.

At first, I thought the balm was going to be like all of those balms that you get with longwear lipcolors (Cover Girl Outlast, etc.). But after applying it, I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised. When the balm mixes with the stain, it makes your lips feel like you're wearing a very plush lipstick. It's super moisturizing and creamy. I really love the feel of it it.

So how do my lips look after three hours? That's the big question, right?


Well, you probably know by now that I'm a chronic gloss-eater. I tend to smoosh my lips together a lot whenever I'm wearing lip color, so that probably didn't help the staying power of this product one bit. But even so, what I don't like about Just Bitten is that it seems to leave the dreaded ring around my lips, making it look like I'm in the 90s again with the dark lipliner. I cannot stand the fact that I will have to live in fear of the dark-liner-on-bare-lips look as this product wears off, but I am wondering if this has more to do with the balm than the lipstain itself?

I'm definitely going to have to experiment some more and try using the stain by itself, and maybe using less of the balm the next time around. I'm definitely not giving up hope on this product yet, because the stain itself is pretty darn good. What I REALLY love about this stain (aside from the berry fragrance) is that it doesn't have that sharp, bitter taste that all other lipstains seem to have. The taste of this stain is much more mild and less off-putting, so that's great. And, as you can tell, this stain is SUPER pigmented, which is also a plus.

Final verdict: I still have hope for this product. So far, I believe that the lipstain part of the product is of excellent quality. It's insanely pigmented, has a milder flavor than most other stains, and it wasn't drying on my already dry lips. The balm part of this product is very moisturizing and the texture is quite creamy and luxurious on my lips. My issue right now is when I combine the two products. I think that the balm might be contributing the lack of staying power (when compared to traditional lipstains that don't have an accompanying balm). I need to try using the stain by itself to get a feel for how long this product lasts, and hopefully I won't be left with dark-liner syndrome when I use the stain by itself. The worst case scenario for me right now would be using each product individually instead of together (the balm doesn't have a flavor or fragrance and actually would be a nice balm to wear all by itself).

I'm very curious to see what the other shades in the Just Bitten line are like, so I can't wait for the reviews to start pouring in!

In the meantime, what do you think of Just Bitten? Do you think you'll be picking up a tube when you spot this display? As always, I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

23 comments

  1. Oh, now this is completely different from the stain I had from the Dark Pleasures release, this one was a much much darker stain and it had a rollerball application! Also, it stayed forever - but it was drying, as are many stains, obviously. Huh, interesting that they changed it that much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably won't be buying one, but I'm so interested in the new Maybelline Color Sensational Pearl lipsticks. I saw a display at Ulta with at least 12 shades in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm I wonder if I'd like the color selection they have. Besides that, I think the Color Burst lipsticks are pretty good w/ staying power and not too drying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried a lip stain before. I will admit it, I am a lipstick-phobe. Lip stain? I'm running. Fast! LOL. See I didnt even know lip stains had a bitter taste...I'm a lip gloss girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this display today! I've been on the hunt for a mauve-pink lip stain but decided to wait on this until I heard some reviews (I was so happy to see your post when I got home!) To be honest, I didn't even realize there was a balm attached! I think I was too distracted by the obvious Twilight tie-in. :)
    I also noticed that Body Fantasies has a new fragrance called Vampire. Hehe, it looks like Halloween is early this year! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole: Yeah, it's weird that they took the name of one of their previous shades and used it for an entire collection. Kinda confusing! lol. :)

    Rebecca: I got one of those lipsticks, which I'll be posting a review tomorrow. :)

    ndoodles: Well, you know how I feel about the Color Burst lippies (the staying power wasn't so good for me but the shades are gorgeous) so I'm happy to see a stain from Revlon! Stains are notorious for being longwear (duh) and I hope I have better luck when I wear this without the balm. :)

    adorepink: Don't fear the stain! LOL! I actually think these are easier to wear than lipsticks (so much less maintenance) but yeah, if you're a gloss girl they'll definitely take some getting used to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather: Oh wow, talk about timing! So are you thinking about getting one? If you do, definitely try it with and without the balm layered over it! And I haven't seen the new Body Fantasies yet in any of my drugstores! Have you sniffed it? If so, I would LOVE to hear what you think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always top my stains with gloss to keep my lips moist, so this would save space in my bag. On the bright side, heavily lined lips are back in! I really noticed when I saw the lady gaga video for telephone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Recessionista!

    I really would like to try these stains, but I must admit that I really miss the stains from the Dark Pleasures line Nicole referred to. You can sometimes find those on places like allcosmeticswholesale or brigette's botique.

    Anyway, I just wanted to say that I love your blog and think you're doing a great thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow another new product from REvlon?! reminds me of MAC, they have a similar product.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PCS: LOL! I'm sorry, but that is definitely not a trend I will ever be revisiting. Too many nightmares and bad photos still exist. lol! :D

    Ashley: You know, I never tried those original Revlon stains from back in the day, but now you're making me want to get one. lol! And thanks so much for the kind words. :)

    Khymm: Oh really?? I am so behind on my MAC products--I haven't been to a counter in a loooong time. Interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this looks really interesting! I love lipstains and am constantly on the lookout for one that will last on me! I'm also fond of the Revlon brand in general. Thanks so much for the review and pictures!
    - Hebridean Sprite
    http://hebrideanspritebeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww. you should war more reds ^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just bought these and for some reason they don't look as dark on me as they do on you. I am going to give them another go though. Thank goodness for the 3.00 off coupon my store had.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hebridean Sprite: You're so welcome. I hope you like if if you try one. :)

    ammwiich: Awww, thank you! xo

    I BLEED PINK: That's very interesting! I only *wish* they weren't so dark on me, so consider yourself very lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a really interesting concept - too bad it's not that great in practice. Maybe the two products can be used separately, maybe each in conjunction with other things? I love the idea of lipstains but I've tried some horrible ones. The one I've stuck with is by The Body Shop, and it's a bright pink color that is very layerable. I actually pair it with a tinted balm (Nivea cherry) so that the staining power of the two kind of combine and I get a more even color, plus a bit of moisture that won't make the color smear around. Maybe Revlon should have gone for a waxier, tinted balm to pair with this stain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a really interesting concept - too bad it's not that great in practice. Maybe the two products can be used separately, maybe each in conjunction with other things? I love the idea of lipstains but I've tried some horrible ones. The one I've stuck with is by The Body Shop, and it's a bright pink color that is very layerable. I actually pair it with a tinted balm (Nivea cherry) so that the staining power of the two kind of combine and I get a more even color, plus a bit of moisture that won't make the color smear around. Maybe Revlon should have gone for a waxier, tinted balm to pair with this stain.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it. I love stains and currently like Lorac alot. I was a fan of early just bitten. I love the ease of applying, i love that the balm is not tacky and it seems to stay on for several hours. I am totally sold as I walked away from regular lipstick a few years ago and am always searching for the perfect lipstain, the natural look. For some reason this also puffs up my lips somewhat which is always good. I hope it doesn't dry out quickly but I have to say, of the 5 or 6 brands that I've tried, this is pretty easy, the color is great and I'm definitely sold. I just hope it's a permanent choice unlike the very watery Just Bitten from several years ago. Watery or not, it was a good product, a real stain

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was pretty excited about this product as well, I like to try all new lip products that come out. I got the color "Passion" and it stayed on my lips fine, I just reapplied one of my own chapsticks after my lips got dry,which was fairly quickly...unfortunately later that night, my lips actually look like they've been just bitten! They had an allergic reaction to something in this product which is weird because I have tried just about everything from almost every maker and never had this happen. :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have to ask. how do you apply the lipstain. Cause the one I have (Frenzy) does not have near as much color as your picture shows. Mine feels more like a dried out marker. I'm not too thrilled with this product and probably won't buy it again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm really not happy with these stains at all. I love the color, so I've tried to go back a few times to try it but not only does it wear off pretty quickly (for a stain, I have a mac lip liner that has more staying power) but it dries my lips up so bad that they hurt the next day. Super thumbs down for this product. Nothing should dry out someones lips like this does to mine and I do not have sensitive skin.

    Stay away ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I actually don't follow the instructions and I get better results. I'm a lipstick/gloss eater too, so I apply the balm first, then I apply the lipstain. I don't get left with that ring around the mouth, even after eating, and my lips look delicious for hours (even tried it overnight).

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just bought this for myself yesterday because I wanted to try something new instead of a lipstick, even though I love my lipstick. So I got the shade that closely matched it, Passion, and I have to say, it is really awesome! Just the right amount of color, the balm is great and I don't feel like I have anything caked onto my lips, like how I feel when I wear lipstick on a summer day. I just wish they could make a couple of more pink/coral shades.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig