Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Review: Japanese Dollar Store Products

First let me start by saying THANK YOU to the three readers who posted about some great beauty deals they've spotted recently! This makes me feel like my new "Beauty Deals YOU have spotted" feature (located in the right-hand sidebar) is going to be a success, and I cannot wait to see more comments from you as you find great deals in your town and/or online. Please, please share what you're finding with us so that we can all benefit! If you haven't seen the great deals contributed by Nouveau Cheap readers yet, click here to check 'em out (they're fantastic!).

OK, onto my review. This review is a long time coming, because I purchased these products from my local Japanese dollar store back in February (click here for my original post).

First up, the Japanese version of the L'Oreal Scrublet:


I purchased this scrublet-type facial cleansing tool for $4.98 at my local Marukai Living store. Marukai Living is not actually a dollar store, but let me explain. Marukai is a chain of different Japanese retail stores. In San Diego, Marukai has a dollar store (called Daiso), a home-furnishings/beauty product store (called Marukai Living) and an Asian grocery store (called Marukai). All three stores are in the same strip mall (which just so happens to be across the street from Mitsuwa!) and this strip mall is a bargain shopper's paradise! Especially Daiso, which also carries beauty products (nail polishes, makeup, beauty tools, etc.) and everything in Daiso (unless otherwise specified) is $1.98. If you have a Diaso in your city, you will go nuts in this store. I promise.

So anyway, I purchased the scrublet-type cleansing tool at Marukai Living for around five bucks, but I have heard that similar products are also available at other Japanese stores (in the US and in other countries) and that you can also find them on ebay. So if you don't have a Marukai in your area, but you want one of these, you can probably find one pretty easily.


The first thing I noticed about the Japanese version was that the surface area is bigger. Also, the fish-type shape made me go, "Huh? How is THIS going to work?" But honestly, it's pretty freaking fantastic once you get the hang of it.


Check out the other side of each product:


The number one complaint I hear about the L'Oreal Scrublet is that it's hard to hold (especially when it gets wet). I can't count how many times this little sucker has popped out of my hand when I'm washing my face. In fact, I told you in my original review of the Scrublet that you can really only hold it a certain way to ensure that it doesn't go flying out of your hand (click here if you missed it). But with the Japanese version? Form and function come together beautifully, my friends. There are two "straps" on this product, and you just slip your fingers inside of them (I put my index finger in one strap and my middle finger in the other). How brilliant is that? This will never, ever slip out of your hands, period.

And do you see the little suction cup on the right side of this tool? It's GENIUS! This little part of the tool is for use on those little crevices of your face that are too small for the larger part of the tool. It's ideal to use on the sides of your nose, around your hairline, etc. Think of this as the part of the tool you use for "detailing" your face.

Another thing I LOVE about the Japanese version of the scrublet is that, despite the fact that it's made from essentially the exact same soft, pliable, rubbery material as the L'Oreal Scrublet, the actually scrubby nubs are more exfoliating than the L'Oreal version. If I were to rate the exfoliating power of the L'Oreal version on a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 5, while the Japanese version is about a 7. Don't get me wrong--neither tool is harsh on the skin AT ALL, but the Japanese version just ha a little bit more "oomph" when it comes to cleansing my face and getting every little bit of makeup off.

I have found myself reaching for the Japanese version almost every single time I wash my face these days. No, it does not come with a bottle of cleanser like the L'Oreal version, but who cares, really? You can use this tool for a very long time so it's a great investment. It's just too bad that I love the actual Sensitive Skin cleanser in the L'Oreal version, which means I'm going to one day end up with more L'Oreal Scrublets than I know what to do with. Maybe I'll be forced to do a giveaway for just the Scrublet someday!

Moving on to this little wonder:


This caught my eye when I was shopping at Diaso (remember: that's the nothing-over-$1.98 store owned by Marukai). At first I thought it looked like a pink plastic ear. LOL! But then what really captured my attention was the tagline at the bottom of the package: The Raid Article of the Nail. What the heck? Something definitely got lost in the translation, because I can't even infer what they were trying to say. But that doesn't matter because the photo at the top of the package totally explains its use. It's a nail file for your keychain! I had to have it.

The Raid Article of the Nail (retail: $1.98 at Daiso)


I'm totally going to admit to you that I had a "Doh!" moment with this little gadget. I kept it on my desk for a few days and every single day I'd pick it up, run it across my nail, and NOTHING. It felt like I was running my nail across smooth plastic. I mean, every time I felt that one of my nails was a bit jagged or rough, I'd run and get this thing and try again. Every time, it did nothing. Finally I just totally forgot about it and I figured one day I'd write a review and tell you it was a total waste of money.

But then one day, I felt a little jagged edge on one of my nails and I reached for it again, but I noticed that there was something weird about it. The metal edge had something stuck to it. Wait, was that a protective coating? OMG. Yes! There was a protective coating on the metal strip the entire time I was trying to use it, and I guess all my repeated uses finally made the coating start to peel off on its own. So I peeled the rest of it off and PRESTO! This thing totally works. All together now, let's say it: Doh!

It's not a true nail file, but it's perfect for those times when you're out and about and you feel a little roughness on the tip of your nail, and it drives you crazy because you don't have a nail file to smooth it down. I know that's happened to all of us, and this little "pink plastic ear" is the perfect thing to have on hand for that very situation. Hey, it was a $1.98, I'm keeping it in my purse whether I use it or not! Ha!

I hope you enjoyed my little adventure at the Japanese dollar store. Do you have any Japanese stores in your town? Do you have any favorite beauty products you'd like to share with us? I'd love to hear all about them!
SHARE:

22 comments

  1. That is the funniest thing I've heard all day! Sounds like something I would do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh the Japanese scrublet sounds good and really does look like a fish.
    ...and the nail file REALLY looks like an ear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a Japanese dollar store. I'm so jealous. Do they sell washcloths? Omg, I was raised on those. If you find them, pick them up. You will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Asian stores! Wish there were better ones around here...all we have are supermarkets (and the "super" part of that is debateable) with tiny health and beauty sections. Last trip though I did find a little scrubby like yours except it's for the nose, and I got a lovely, minty Shiseido lip balm called Water In Lip - gotta love translation, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha i still cant figure out why it has to look like an ear! they could seriously remove everything but the part just around the file.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can't stop laughing at the shape of the stuff you posted. i don't often go into those japanese discount stores but looks like i should have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, the raid article of the nail! Cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, I wish we had Japanese stores in my town. *Cries*
    I always love seeing what you get there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually found a different version of the mini-nail file at TJMaxx OR Marshalls in the beauty section (some item that probably belonged in a packaging box but fell out) so they are out there, just harder to locate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sephora has their version of the scrublet too, and it's only $5: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P262041&categoryId=C17427&shouldPaginate=true

    i bought one last week and i've been diligently using it twice a day. i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. DEF going to be getting the scrublet next time I'm at Marukai... or the dollar store version of it haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL The Raid Article of the Nail

    I wonder if article was meant to be cuticle?

    Not sure what raid means. Haha.

    Love the Engrish on some of these packages.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh how cute are these purchases! I want to go to a Japanese dollar store now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. PCS: lol! I'm so glad you found the humor in that! xo

    Lillian: So glad you agree (on both accounts!). :D

    lisa: OMG, a good friend of mine gave me some of those wash clothes and I know that SO many people love them! I am ashamed to say I haven't tested them out yet, but I will, because I definitely want to review them here on the blog. Thanks so much for the reminder! :)

    JenJen: OMG, I am OBSESSED with Water in Lip!! I see those ALL the time at my local Asian shops, and I always want to buy one but I haven't yet. Pleeeease tell me: are they as good as I imagine them to be with a name like that?? :)

    Giselle: The only thing I can think of is that it's super easy to grip because of its ear-like shape. lol!

    jojoba: Girlie, you need to stop in those stores and have a look around ASAP! You never know what kind of awesome little things you might find, and I KNOW your readers would enjoy a post about your haul! :D

    adorepink: LOL! Me too. :)

    Heather: Awwww man, I'm sorry you don't, but you can always live vicariously through my little hauls, right? :)

    Bunny: Wow, that's very interesting! Thanks for the tip! :)

    Jennifer: What a great option for those who want the scrublet but don't want to have to purchase the cleanser! It looks *exactly* like the L'Oreal version! wow! Thanks so much for sharing that. Oh, and does the bottom look the same too, with the little suction cup?

    Amy: Yes!! And if you get it, pleeeease let me know how you like it! :)

    LT: Hum...cuticle...article...maybe? But then again, this would be impossible to use on your cuticles so...who knows! All I know is that I wish I knew what they were trying to say, because maybe it would help my understanding of the product better. :)

    Ashwini: Do you have one in your area? If so, get over there ASAP because you never know what little gems you might find! I'm absolutely addicted to all things Japanese, so I literally am a kid in a candy store whenever I go. lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha R, that's pretty funny! I like the Water in Lip, but it won't be replacing my favorite. It's kind of a thin formula and it doesn't layer very well. I know that's kind of hard to do with a stick-style balm, but my trusty stick of strawberry Carmex does it quite well. You'd also think with a name like that, it would be more hydrating than it is. But it's really minty and tingly, and I do like that! I think you should try it since you're obsessed with it, but I doubt that it'll become your favorite. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah man, that's what I was totally afraid of. You are so right--with a name like this, you'd think it would be the most incredibly moisturizing lip balm ever made! I guess I was hesitant because I didn't want to be disappointed! lol! Thanks so much for the great info. :) PS: Carmex rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. o man i wish there are japanese dollar stores around here! another reason to move to SD :)

    the scrubbie looks awesome i have to go find one now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Daiso in my area sells things for $1.50!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Joyce: Awww, I'm sorry! I wish you had a Japanese dollar store in your area too. They are too fun. :) And good luck w/ locating a scrublet--please keep me posted, ok? I hear they're on ebay. :)

    Alyssum: You know, I have heard that from others! I wonder why it's $1.98 in San Diego only?? Hum...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just letting you know that the Japanese "scrublet" came first. L'oreal just copied it. I've been getting them for years at a local Japanese market.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sonia: Oh yes, I'm totally aware of that! After researching these online back when the L'Oreal version first came out, I quickly discovered that Japanese beauty brands have been making these for years. lol. So you were totally ahead of the game! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just saw the little You May Also Like icon for Japanese dollar store and got all excited! I have a Daiso in my city. I don't know why I like calling it The Japanese $1.50 Store, but I do. Not a fan of stores like Dollar Tree but I love Daiso. I could spend hours in there. I love reading the packaging and looking at all the clever items. And so many things are cute just because. If you need a clip for your potato chip bag, why not make it cute. My store doesn't carry a lot of nail polish related items but does have plenty of cosmetic items. I'd love to see more reviews of Daiso items. And now I want to see a Marukai Living store :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig