Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, May 14, 2010

The Glorious Return of the CVS Beauty Clearance Sale (pic heavy)

[UPDATE: I just added a "Things I've Learned About the CVS Beauty Sale" list at the end of this post. If this is your first time shopping this sale, I highly suggest reading this list before you make a purchase--just scroll to the bottom of this post for the details.]

If you've been checking the new feature on my blog, "Great deals YOU have spotted" (on the right-hand sidebar), then you might already know that my lovely reader Jessica commented about how she found the "Get it before it's gone" signs and 50-75% off stickers on assorted makeup products at her local CVS (thank you SO much, Jessica, for posting that!). Well yesterday, another lovely reader, Taj Acosta, informed me that she spotted the clearance sale at her CVS too. Yay!

I also just saw that the wonderful Jeweled Thumb posted yesterday about the sale too (with a fantastic itemized list of everything she spotted--click here to see it).

Well, you know I had to get out there and check my local CVS locations, but to my disappointment, none of my regular CVS stores had anything on clearance yet. Boo! BUT, yesterday, I was out with my brother and we happened to be near a CVS in a town that I rarely frequent. Of course I told him I had to pop in and see if I could spot anything on clearance, but I NEVER expected to see what I saw! It was as if I was the first one to encounter the sale at this particular location, because EVERYTHING was fully stocked, and there were tons and tons of the all-too-familiar green 75% off stickers. It was like seeing an old friend again! (If you have no idea what I'm talking about, let's just say I went a bit nuts at the beginning of the year when CVS had their last huge beauty clearance sale).

I'm not going to get that crazy again (I think I posted every day for a week or two straight about that darned sale!) BUT, I do have to tell you something SUPER cool (that I see Jeweled Thumb noted as well). CVS is currently printing out $3 off Borghese coupons at the slot machine. Well, as you can see in this pic, there are a TON of Borghese shades that are now 75% off, which brings your total down to $1.99. In other words, use that slot machine coupon and you're looking at a FREE Borghese polish!


I also noticed that ALL Sally Hansen Lacquer Shines are now 75% off:


So I bought one Borghese and one Lacquer Shine (and of course used my slot machine coupon):

L: Borghese Roma Scarlet (sale price: $1.99), R: Sally Hansen Flair (sale price: $1.62)


Nevermind the bottle of Cactus Cooler (I never ever drink sugary drinks like this but I had a weird craving for it yesterday). Anyway, as you can see, I got the $3 off my total, and had I not purchased that drink, my total would have been less than a dollar!

Before I go any further, I want to tell you that, during this clearance sale, the regular BOGO sales do NOT apply to clearanced merchandise. So don't even think about. BUT, if you've got coupons (CVS slot machine or manufacturer's coupons) then you are good to go! You can get some SERIOUS bargains if you play your cards right, so definitely gather all your cosmetics coupons together and make a plan to optimize your savings. You could potentially score several items for pennies on the dollar or FREE (even if you don't have coupons, you're still going to get some crazy deals).


So let's play our own little version of "Where's Waldo?" and look for the green 75% off stickers in these pics, shall we?





Remember: the BOGO1/2OFF sale does not apply to the items with green stickers, but who needs that when you're looking at bottles of nail polish for just 50 cents!






If you are familiar with what CVS had on clearance during their last big beauty sale, then you know that a lot of the same products are on clearance this time around. However, I did see some different products on clearance this time, which is great news for those of you who did major hauls last time around. There are new products to choose from this time around, people!

By the way, I just have to show you the gorgeousness that is Sally Hansen Flair. I am wondering why I never tried these Lacquer Shines before (can you believe this was my very first Lacquer Shine purchase?). It's bad timing for me to fall in love with a line that's clearly being discontinued, but at least I can get them for an excellent price ($1.92!), right?

(this color's even prettier when you click to enlarge)

So let me conclude this post by offering you up the things I learned about the CVS beauty clearance sale the first time around:

1) BOGO sales do not apply to clearanced merchandise but coupons DO.

2) If you see something you want, buy it now. It WILL be gone if you leave and come back later.

3) If your CVS location doesn't have the green and pink stickers on any of these products yet, SCAN THEM AT THE RED SCANNER ASAP because the sale price could very well already be in the system. You don't have to wait until you see the stickers on things to take advantage of these prices, so SCAN, SCAN SCAN before you buy.

So, have you found the CVS beauty clearance yet in your town? If so, I'd love to hear about what you've purchased (assuming you've purchased something, and I don't think that's a huge assumption if you're reading this blog!). :)
SHARE:

24 comments

  1. I'm so chuffed for this sale! I'll be hastening to my CVS this weekend to see what I can scrounge up on the cheap...thanks for the update! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG i'm so excited! i need to check my cvs stores =] thank u for the info!

    btw i found those coupon scanner machines haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the heads up! i'll be looking for those green stickers, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I need to hit up CVS this weekend anyway to grab one of their mini Sterilite drawer sets for the eyeliner collection I'm accumulating. :P

    That SH polish looks SO pretty! Can I ask how many coats you applied? I've had an obsession with purple nailpolish lately but it's hard to find one that doesn't require 5 coats to not be sheer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this post!! I went yesterday, but then read in your comments that you would do a feature on this so I waited, and I'm glad I did b/c my CVS had things that were part of the sale but the sticker had not been affixed yet! But they totally scanned to be 75% off, combined with the coupons I've been saving, and I saved a ton. I totally enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally going to scout out the local CVS tonight! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww thanks for the link love. You're the best. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kon: You're so welcome! I hope you come away with some great goodies. :)

    Cutiegingerbread: Yay!! I'm so glad you found the scanner machine! lol. Good luck on getting some great deals, sweetie. :)

    Niki: You are so welcome! I can't wait to see what you get (I know you'll post about it!). xo

    JenJen: LOL at your ever-growing eyeliner stash! I used two coats of this polish and it was PERFECTLY opaque after just two coats. Incredible, right? You neeeed to get a bottle! :)

    Lily: You're so welcome! Oh I am SO glad you waited and scanned the products without stickers! Based on my experience from the last CVS sale, 99% of the time the price in the system WILL be the clearance price even if there's no sticker on the product. So YAY for you!! :D

    Ashley: Go for it! Can't wait to hear about what you find!

    JT: You are so welcome, honey. And YOU are the best for so meticulously listing everything you spotted! That is SO helpful, for all of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i saw those too- i thought i was hallucinating because we just had that huge sale a few months ago!

    i only bought a Revlon cream click-pen gloss. which is usually about $13 (yikes!) but i got it for $3.25. (it's a glossy nude blush colour, i love it.)

    i also used a $5 off $25 coupon since i needed a bunch of small things all together. and i used my $8 extrabucks to buy hair dye for 56 cents after the Bucks were applied. lol. fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guess who's making a trip to the CVS that's half an hour away...umm ME! Ha - another great post about great deals, thanks...but I have a question...and maybe a heads up if it's possible...

    Revlon's offering their $3-Off coupon for their Colorburst lipsticks on their website. And Sunday, Walgreens has Revlon on BOFO1/2OFF. Does that still apply if you buy a lipstick w/ the coupon? How will that work - or will it work?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl, don't EVEN apologize for Cactus Cooler. I buy a 2 liter of it maybe once every summer and we enjoy it very quickly before it goes flat. We don't even make buying cans an option because they would be stocked here 24/7 in our fridge. I'd rather eat my calories than drink them myself, but there is something SO RIGHT about a Cactus Cooler on a hot day. Long live high fructose corn syrup in moderation. *hee hee*

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't even tell you how excited I got when I saw this post :D

    I've gotten really into nail polish lately, so it's the perfect time to take a trip over there tomorrow. Just wondering, were any of the Sally Hansen Salon Manicure (I think that's what they're called.. haha) polishes or the Milani polishes discounted?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went looking for it yesterday but to no avail! I'll stop in today though, I still need to buy twix for a teacher so I can get 100s on my performances!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know you go to CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid too often when the employees there know your first name. I'm gonna have to come into those stores in disguise now and pretend they're like the paparazzi or something. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. i was at cvs yesterday but didn't see any clearance...lots of bogos sales though

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautifulmonday: I know! I thought I was hallucinating too! lol! And 56 cents for hair dye? Color me impressed! (Ahhh, that was cheesy, huh?). :D

    audrrri: OK, here's how it will work if you use that coupon: Let's say the lipstick is $8.99, which means 2 for $18. If you buy two and they're BOGO1/2OFF, that brings the total to $13.50. And if you use a $3 off coupon on top of that, your grand total will be $10.50 (before tax), which means you'll be paying $5.25 PER lipstick. Not a bad deal! Of course it would be better if you waited for a BOGOFREE sale (your total then would be $6 or $3 per lipstick), but if you can't wait, it's a pretty good deal!

    Amber: You just obliterated any guilt I had for chugging that Cactus Cooler. :) And why does it not surprise me that we both have a secret love for this drink? xo

    casey: Sorry hun, not Complete Salon Manicure polishes were on clearance at my location--just the Lacquer Shines and Hard As Nails. :( Also, I didn't see any green stickers on any Milani polishes, BUT, I did see some Milani shades on clearance during the last sale, so there's a chance some of them are going to be on clearance this time around. My suggestion: take a few Milanis to the CVS Scanner and see what the price is in the system. :)

    PCS: Oooh, even if you don't see the sale, be sure you grab a product from one of the displays in my pictures and see if it rings up with the sale price! :)

    LT: I have no idea what you're talking about. HAHAHAHAHA! Actually, I'm quite sure my friendly drugstore employees think I'm nuts by now. :D

    Joyce: Don't let that stop you! Take some products and run them under the CVS Scanner box and see if they come up with the sale price! I'm betting they will!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. R, that's amazing that your nails look that great after just 2 coats! That sealed it - I must get it! There's a printable $.50 off SH coupon on Redplum right now too - every little bit helps! :)

    Also, now you two are making me want to try this Cactus Cooler! I'm intrigued! I've never even heard of it before; I wonder if it's in my area?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I tried calling 2 CVS' to see if their beauty clearance sale had started. I only got one reply that the store did not receive their stickers yet.

    Buuut...

    I took your advice! I went to a CVS and didn't see any stickers. I took a NYC eyeliner to scan and found out that it WAS discounted in the system. :]

    Lesson: Listen to Ms. R when it comes to the CVS sale. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. those 75% off stickers on the rimmel foundation make me nervous. I really like that foundation! do these sales only happen to products that are being discontinued?

    ReplyDelete
  20. JenJen: LOL! I think Catcus Cooler is made by Pepsi (I could be wrong) and it's always located with the other soft drinks (it's carbonated). But my advice? If you've never tried it before: don't! You might get addicted and that would be a bad thing. lol!! And thanks for the great heads-up about about that SH coupon! That will bring your total down to about $1. Awesome! :D

    JammingJen: YAY!! I am SO glad you took my advice and just scanned the product you wanted! That's awesome! :D

    Gracie: I can't say for sure, but during the last big CVS sale, a lot of products they had on clearance did eventually become discontinued. So I'd say there's a good chance that foundation is going bye-bye. :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. I went to CVS today. No stickers. I checked the prices of some Rimmel items. No dice. I'll try again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My CVS doesn't have the stickers on anything nor the signs, but I did the scanner game and scored some goodies. Ok let me break it down, the L'Oreal HIP crayon: green & blue color are $2.49 and the L'Oreal HIP Lip struck are $2.99. Milani f/d was somewhere in the $1.72 (dnt remember) and Rimmel l/s was 75% off: Precious color. My CVS didn't have the NYC liquid liner, they are all gone, sucks. Because I wanted a backup. The scanner was my friend today and I will keep checking back this post on updates because if I had the time to scan everything I would...lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. no luck yet in national city's cvs' :( which ones have you gone to? i think i'm going to check a few tomorrow :) maybe ill get lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Rimmel Long Lasting Finish Lipsticks (the dark burgundy round tubes with a crown on top) are 75% off at my locak CVS!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig