Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, March 8, 2010

Breaking News: Payless Shoesource to launch beauty line!

This just in!

(From Happi.com):

Will well-heeled consumers shop for their cosmetics in a shoe store? Probably not, but that's not stopping Payless ShoeSource from stepping into the beauty category.

Payless, known for its affordable footwear, handbags and other accessories, will enter the beauty and body products category this September, the unit of Collective Brands Inc.


Payless said it will launch the new line through an alliance with The Maesa Group, a France-based company that is engaged in manufacturing and sale of perfumes and cosmetic products. Payless, which termed the alliance a "multi-year arrangement," however did not disclose additional terms of the deal.

"Our shoppers have responded very positively to our initiatives to go beyond footwear and democratize fashion and design in accessories as well, and this is one step further to bring consumers beauty products," LuAnn Via, chief executive officer of Payless, said in a statement.
The new beauty merchandise, to be sold under brands names "Zoe & Zac" and "Unforgettable Moments," will be available for as low as $2.99 an item, the company said.

The company, which also sells jewelry, belts, sunglasses and hats apart from shoes, said the new products will be available exclusively in about 1500 Payless stores and expects to expand into additional stores later.

Maesa has designed and manufactured beauty products for companies like Urban Outfitters, Forever21 and Ed Hardy in the past.

So ladies, how do we feel about affordable makeup and body products coming to Payless? I'm assuming that if you already shop at Payless you'll at least give these a good look when they arrive in September, but for those of you who don't already shop at Payless, will you be curious enough to pay your local store a visit and check out the goodies for yourself? I have to say, I like the idea that the prices will start at $2.99 so I'll definitely be checking them out in the fall. I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Very interesting! I'm definitely curious about this line. It does sound like an odd concept, but at the same time people love going to stores where they can purchase multiple things instead of just one type of product. It may just do well for them. They already do purses an jewelry and cosmetics are really just another accessory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Zoe & Zack line is awesome. Didn't they make flats for Payless? I don't remember but I am excited for it :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tropical Mind: I agree with you! It seems like a natural progression and I'm really only hoping that these products are a few steps up from the F21 makeup products, which generally do not seem to be all that well-received. Fingers crossed! :)

    Vickky: You know, I haven't been into a Payless in a while so I can't confirm that, but I'll totally take your word for it. Now I'm even more excited to see what they bring to the table. So thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, very interesting. I will have to check them out. Weird combo but it just may work for Payless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. adorepink: I know...I'm very curious as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, this seems interesting. Can't wait to check it out come fall. Thanks for the heads up. The blog Beauty Judy (not affiliated) mentioned a while ago that one nail polish brand sells through Payless. I've never seen them in person, but maybe they sold well enough to spur the store into selling more cosmetics? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a bit weirded out by this. I'll wait for the reviews; I don't have a payless in my area anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. colormepinkenblue: Wow, I had no idea they were already selling polish! I haven't been to a Payless in a while but I think I need to stop by and check that out! Thanks for the heads-up. :)

    PCS: Really? Why is that? I'm just curious because they already sell so many accessories (bags, hats, belts, etc.) that I guess it just seems like a natural progression to me. lol. I can totally see a counter display next to the checkout line in my mind already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so intriguing! I'll definitely be visiting my payless when this launches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really inclined to say no. I always find make up from those store brands that shouldn't necessarily be doing make up to be of poor quality, but something that you buy anyways because it's only $1-5. Then you get it home, use it once, and realize that it's garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. JT: I had a feeling you'd be intrigued (like I am) about this one! lol. :D

    PB: See, I totally, TOTALLY get your point (esp. regarding F21) but there's something inside me that just can never give up hope on stuff like this. I always think that one day there's going to be a hidden jewel in these collections that completely rocks my world. I'm an optimist, I guess. LOL! But no "I told ya so" if this line is less than stellar, ok? :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Payless forever for giving me Christian Siriano boots, so if they want to sell me cosmetics as well I'm willing to give it a shot-- providing the price point is reasonable, of course ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig