Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, January 22, 2010

Review: Softlips Pure Organic Lip Conditioner in Acai Berry

I told you today was Lip Day on Nouveau Cheap and I meant it! Nothing but lip product reviews, and lots of 'em!

Next up is the lip balm I bought last night (I had a Rite Aid gift card so it was free. Yay!), Softlips Pure Organic Lip Conditioner in Acai Berry.



The Pure collection is new for Softlips and so new, in fact, that there's no mention of it on their website. The flavors in this collection are Chai Tea, Peppermint Leaves, Papaya, and of course Acai Berry. Please note: I've looked around the web and noticed that there are two other Pure flavors, Honeydew and Raspberry, but I do not think these are part of the newest collection.

What sets this collection apart from other drugstore lip balms is that the formula is 100% natural and 95% organic. This formula of these balms is also pesticide, gluten, paraben and cruelty-free:



But that's not all (I sound like an infomercial, huh?). Here's something you don't see every day:



The packaging (not the plastic tube, but the paper packaging) is quite green!

So this balm is pretty fabulous right out of the gate, but does the balm itself warrant the $3.99 price? So far, I'm saying yes, yes, YES.

This baby is one smooth lip balm, and if you saw my other lip review today, you know my lips are severely chapped and in need of serious relief.  I'm delighted to tell you that Softlips Pure is helping keep them moisturized today and I am loving the texture of this balm so far. It's not heavy, but it stays put. It's not too waxy (I can't stand super waxy balms) but I can feel it really hydrating my lips while I wear it.

Let's talk about the fun stuff: the fragrance and flavor! I'm an acai berry NUT, so it was a no-brainer that I was going to buy this flavor. You don't see many acai berry lip balms at the drugstore these days so Softlips had me at hello with this one.  So does it smell like a real acai berry? I'm delighted to say yes! But please note: real acai berries aren't as sugary-sweet as a lot of the acai-berry fragrances out there in the marketplace today. I've had the pleasure of smelling real acai berries and, to me, they smell like a combination of several different tart berries, mixed with a teeny bit of chocolate. And I'm happy to say that this is exactly what this balm smells like to me. Awesome! As for the flavor, it's very faint, but it does have a slight nuance of acai taste to me.

If you're looking for a green product made with all-natural and organic ingredients, I think you will certainly enjoy the Softlips Pure Organic line. And if you're a Softlips fan in general, I don't think this collection will disappoint.
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. I have never had good luck with Softlips brand. Doesn't stop me from buying them when they look cool, hating them, and passing them on to one of my sisters or nieces, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this looks awesome! The list of ingredients sounds extremely promising. Lately I'm falling in love with jojoba oil and anything that contains it, so this is right up my alley. Have you tried the Aquafina lip balms? I bought a 4 pack of them from Walmart for about $2.50 (so cheap, and I gave one to my sister and to my mom) and have been neglecting all my other lip balms since, even my beloved Blistex lip medex. They have jojoba and almond oils and Vit. E, and they just melt into your lips and keep them moisturized for a long time. I even tested them on a snowboarding trip last weekend and they were awesome. Check them out if you haven't already and are a lip balm junkie like me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a time that I was severely addicted to soft lips and that was all I used. I have since branched out. =)

    Sounds great though! I'm dying to try the chai tea version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna have to try the Chai Tea one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandi: We are the exact opposite! This is my first Softlips product that I've used in a very long time and I LOVE it! lol. :) Maybe the natural, organic formula might work better for you than the other Softlips formulas? Keeping my fingers crossed. xo

    J: I looove jojoba oil too! I think I bought some Aquafina lip balm a loooong time ago when I saw them at Big Lots, but that must have been an old formula because they were pretty bad. After hearing your story, I think I need to check these out again--they obviously improved the formula! Great. I need another balm like a hole in the head (yes, I'm a huge lip balm junkie) but now I HAVE to try the Aquafina! lol. :)

    JT: That is so funny--I seem to have tried every single balm EXCEPT for Softlips lately (this is my first Softlips product in a very,very long time). lol! :)

    Cupcake: If these weren't 4 bucks a pop, I would have gotten the Chai Tea too. Sounds SUPER yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally a cheap lip balm that doesn't have Petroleum/Paraffinum!!!!

    I have to try this Acai berry, and if you say it has a hint of chocolate, this balm is priority number one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elena: You're right! It's about time more companies made easily accessible petrol-free balms! :) And yes, it's a hint of chocolate so...you NEEED this. lol. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am totally buying the chai one for my mum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautifulmonday: Oooh, I would LOVE to know what your mom thinks if you get this for her! (And what a sweet daughter you are!). xo

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig