Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, December 18, 2009

Review: Revlon Matte Lipsticks (not your mama's matte, that's for sure)

Given the fact that I just turned 39, I can honestly say that I was around when the FIRST matte lipstick craze hit the nation. In the early 90s, matte lipsticks literally exploded onto the makeup scene and I was there for every last drying, caking, bit of it.

My matte lipstick of choice in 1991 was "Sexy Sienna" which was made by Ultima II (anybody remember that brand?). I did a google search and found an Ultima II lipstick in "Sexy Sienna" but the packaging has changed (it used to come in a long, thin, black tube) but the color kind of looks the same (click here to see it).

Anyway, my point is that I remember the first wave of mattes like it was yesterday. And I also remember that they were D.R.Y.I.N.G.! They had a tendency to get cakey, feel heavy, and they made your lips feel like every last bit of moisture was being sucked out of them. But at that time, we didn't care, because we all wanted to look like the girls on 90210:


Donna's deep wine matte lipstick ALWAYS looked perfect, damnit! lol.

So fast-forward to today, and lo and behold, mattes are back with a vengence! What a HAPPY day for me, because honestly, I never really lost my love for them. I have secretly wanted them to come back around ASAP. But I'm glad that it took so long, because now cosmetics manufacturers have the technology to make AMAZING mattes, such as Revlon Matte Lipsticks (retail: $7.99).

I have to thank two of my readers, Avalon76 and J, for raving about these new Revlon Matte Lipsticks in response to one of my Wednesday Questions a few weeks ago (click here to see it). They both said that they were loving this new line, which quickly prompted me to check it out. (And btw, this is why I LOVE it when you guys answer my Wednesday Questions, because I discover so many new products I would otherwise never know about!).

In case you're like me and haven't heard about the new Revlon Mattes, there are currently only ten shades, and they can be found in the permanent Revlon display where all the other Revlon lipsticks are located.

I had to pick up "In the Red" after J said that people are saying it's a good dupe of MAC Ruby Woo. It's been a few years since I've owned Ruby Woo, but I remember that it's a gorgeous blue-red shade, so I can definitely see the similarities. I also picked up "Mauve it Over" so that I could try a lighter shade (plus, Rite Aid was having a BOGO free for Revlon when I bought these. Yay!):





It's really difficult for my camera to accurately photograph reds, but this pic comes pretty close. Also, Mauve it Over is gorgeous, but it's totally NOT a mauve to me. It's really more of a nude, and I have to say that it's one of the few nudes that I can wear that doesn't make me look pale or sick. I freaking LOVE it and I've been wearing it practically every day since I purchased it.





The pic of me wearing Mauve it Over is fairly accurate (though it's not as pink in real life on me), and In the Red looks WAAAAY more orange in this pic than it does in real life. It is a true blue-red, so don't let this pic scare you off.



Let me just say that my readers were SO right about these lipsticks. They are creamy, creamy, creamy! I mean, they are HEAVEN to apply and they never, ever feel drying on your lips. I didn't have trouble with pigmentation, bleeding, fading, caking, drying, ANYTHING. The texture of this lipstick is, quite possibly, the best of any drugstore lipstick I have ever tried. And guess what else? They're unscented and unflavored! I really can't taste or smell this lipstick when I wear it.

Coming from an old-school matte lover, matte lipsticks just don't get any better than this. If you love your mattes, I think you need to try these as soon as possible.

Now if only Revlon would expand the color selection on these babies...

As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. Ok who've sold me the the red color and I was looking at in the store today and didn't get it. It's on BOGO too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I have been eyeing these for awhile ever since the raving about Nude Attitude came out... definitely gonna buy it w/ my Ulta coupon! WHOO HOO :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. very pretty! when I was a teenager, I was into mattes! YES. LOL does your camera have a "cuisine or food" mode? i use that & it more accurately represents the true color as I see it for my makeup/swatches. I also am experimenting w/ different light. sunlight (true), flourescent (blue), tungsten (yellow/warm). if u try any of these, plz lemme know how they work out. beautiful swatches girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm about to sound really dorky - but I'm so happy you took my recommendation, I'm such a huge fan of your blog! You even got the same two shades I have, haha! And I agree, Mauve It Over is horribly named, but it is basically my PERFECT MLBB color for my fair but warm-undertoned skin and medium-pigmented lips. It's funny because in the tube, In The Red looks super intense and bright, but maybe it's my lip color but that makes it turn out blue-red on me too, which is exactly what I wanted. I'm pretty new to makeup (still in college, don't want to spend my money at MAC while I'm still learning), so I'm thrilled that Revlon came out with this line right when I started getting into makeup! I just hope they never get rid of the matte collection. Sigh, this post really makes me want to go and get all the other matte shades (I have my eye on the brownish-berry shade and the deep wine shade).

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI!

    I like your blog very much! I follow you!

    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought matte lip was also big in the late 40's or maybe 50's? I don't think they called it matte, though. I will check out those new lipsticks at the drugstore, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these too!!! I got four of them on a BOGO at CVS and adore them! I have never been a lipstick girl, but I've worn it every single day for the past three weeks since I bought them. They don't even have the funky usual Revlon lipstick smell... there's no smell at all! The perfect lipstick! I must go out and buy that red now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always think I'll like matte, but then my lips get so dry I end up topping with a gloss! Have you seen Smashbox's new matte lip product?

    ReplyDelete
  9. raybeequeen: Oh I think that red would look GORGEOUS on you! Get it! Get it! lol. xo

    ndoodles: Oh I would love to know what you think of these when you get one (and let me know what color you get!). xo

    1xellus1: Unfortunately, my camera is super basic and I don't have that setting (I wish I did!). Lately I've been using a lot of florescent lighting because when I use natural lighting, the no-flash setting on my camera is SO hard to work with. My hands have to be perfectly still (I mean, I even have to hold my breath) or the pic will be blurry. It's just too much work for me right now. I need to invest in a tripod AND a better camera. Santa, are you listening? lol! PS: I'm so glad I'm not alone in my matte love! xo

    J: Not dorky at all! I am THRILLED that you took the time to suggest these--I can't thank you enough! IMHO, they are better than MAC mattes because they're far less drying to me. So it's a good thing you saved your money! I think the Revlon is the superior product and I really wish they'd come out with more shade options. Also, it sounds like we have the exact same coloring (fair, warm-toned skin with medium-pigmented lips) so it will be fun to see the other shades that work for us! Yay! xo

    Hi Magnetism: Why thank you, sweetie! xo

    Dee: Oh yes, the matte look was huge in that era, but I don't think they actually had lipsticks back then with a matte formulation. Pretty much all lipsticks back then were matte to some degree, but I don't think they were deliberately trying to make them "matte" per say. The same thing applies to shiny or sheer lipsticks--I don't think they had the technology to make a deliberately shiny or sheer or super shimmery lipstick back then, so I know a lot of women just put a lot of vaseline on top of their standard lipsticks. So what I meant was that I think the first specifically matte formulation was released in the early 90s and boy was it BAD! lol. Hope that clears it up! :)

    Mrs. Litz: Oh, you scored!! What colors do you own? And yep, I love that these are pretty much fragrance free. Revlon really stepped up their game with this formula, that's for sure! :)

    Peace.Love.Lipgloss: I think this Revlon collection will change your mind. I swear there is no drying effect to these AT ALL. I'd love to know what you think if you try one--I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised! And no, I haven't tried that Smashbox product. Do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, that's AWESOME!
    I lurv matte lipsticks!

    Thanks again!

    PS: I really like the red on you ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey neijie! Thank you, honey!! I love that red too, even though the boyfriend thinks it's a bit dark (what do they know, right? lol). I think he's just so used to me wearing neutrals that he forgot what I look like in deep reds. I told him he better get used to it because I know I'm going to be wearing this one quite a bit. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. great review! i didn't have any success with the shades i had. the two i bought i returned. the pigmentation wasn't even. ;( everyone else is seeming to enjoy this esp. nude attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, can I just say that I thought you were waaaaaaaaaaay younger based on the pics I've seen of your eyes and mouth???! You've taken care of yourself girl, you look gorgeous! Both those colors look hot on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. yummy: I am SO bummed to hear this! Did you try one of the reds? I swear, the pigmentation is smooth has butter for the one I have. I wonder if you got a bad batch?

    femputer: OK, now you're just talkin' crazy! THANK YOU for that, but I cringe every time I post a pic that all anyone is going to see is my wrinkles and dark circles! You totally made my day with that comment. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Honey, WHAT WRINKLES??

    And I tried out a trick to mattify any lipstick. Pat a bit of translucent powder (not the shimmery type!) with a foundation brush right over your lipstick. It works!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig