Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, October 11, 2009

The results of my "Lay It On Me" layered nail polish experiment

So if you read my last post about the new products I spotted at Rite-Aid on Friday, you know that I was particularly intrigued by this new line of layered nail polishes called "Lay It On Me". These polishes retail for $3.99 a bottle and I just had to pick one up to see how it works:




I purchased "Lay It On Me Ra", which is a bright neon pink shade on top (photo makes it look orange), a black cream in the middle and a medium blue cream on the bottom:



Now the display clearly states: "Do not shake! Just dip and apply for a surprise color and a very special effect!"

So I took special precautions when I drove home with this polish. I made sure it was sitting upright on the passenger seat next to me, and I wedged it in between my purse and the back of the seat to make sure it wouldn't fall over and accidentally mix the shades.

When I first opened the bottle, I thought I better experiment on a piece of paper first, just to make sure there wasn't some sort of technique I needed to practice in order to swirl the colors just right. Here's the result of my practice session on paper:



Hum...not too promising, is it? No matter what I did, I just couldn't seem to get the blue to show up at all, and I definitely couldn't get the colors to swirl. In fact, I even tried painting in a circular motion, but all that did was blend the colors.

Finally I just decided to plunge right in and put this polish on my nails. Are you ready to see the results?

Drum roll please.............here you go:



Yuck, yuck, yuck! As you can see, some nails look a bit more "marbled" than the others, but for the most part this polish ended up blending into a weird shade of dark brownish-red with little streaks of black here and there. Also, on my pinky you can see that the neon pink that was there from the first coat is showing through on the second coat.

Oh, and did I mention that this polish is matte? Yep. The picture above is after one coat of clear top coat. I just couldn't stand the look of this matte so I had to add a top coat. Also, the polish itself is thick and quite hard to work with--it didn't spread easily on the nails and when all was said and done, I was left with a very goopy, bumpy, matte, brick-red color that took forever to dry.

Oh and let me show you what the bottle looked like while I was in the middle of this manicure:



As you can see, the black gets pulled to the top and quickly mixes with the pink. There's just no way to prevent this from happening, no matter how quickly you work. I tried very hard to pull the blue from the bottom but it was impossible (you were right, Halifax!). By the time the brush reaches the middle layer (black) the blue gets dominated by the black and you just cannot not see it by the time you pull the brush out of the bottle.

Sorry, ladies, but I just can't recommend this one. It's funny that they call this line "Lay It On Me" because I just kept thinking to myself when I was using this, "They really should have called this polish 'Lay It On Thick.'" If you're not familiar with the term "lay it on thick", here's the definition from thefreedictionary.com:

lay it on thick Informal
1. To exaggerate; overstate.

See! That's a way more appropriate name for this product, right? :)

PS: And congrats to Papaya Bunny who predicted that this color would end up muddy brown. You totally called it!
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. Wow - that's disappointing! That was just an awful hideous color. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the idea sounds really cool though. Its kinda dumb of them to even put this product out in the market. I'm pretty sure they've tested it out. man, that sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found these at my local Jewel, but they didn't have names on them, very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's just something about the polish that's so familiar. I think I must have had something like it in one of the many craft kits that my parents would buy me every Christmas growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ndoodles: Thanks for feeling my pain! lol. xo

    Becky: I know...it's crazy, but maybe there's a super secret technique that I'm lacking? I doubt it, but maybe. lol.

    contests and such: How strange that you saw these but they didn't have a label? Did you get one?

    Papaya Bunny: Hum...well either way, do you remember if you had similar results when you tried this type of product? I'm wondering if anyone has ever made these work? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok i swear you are in my brain! i peeped this a while back (and twittered it) but couldn't get over the blending aspect of the polish. i knew it looked cute and innovative, but like lip glosses, what happens when this polish mixes? we wouldn't be certain of getting a marble effect.. but as your experiment shows.. a terrible mix! .. which is why i didn't buy :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey sweets! OMG, that is too darn funny. See, your wisdom told you this product just wasn't going to work, and your wisdom was 100% on target. Unfortunately, I was a silly optimist about this product when I should have known better. lol. Oh well...you win some, you lose some. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one not liking the layered polish thing. I bought what looked to be a super cute layered polish of a different brand earlier this summer. No matter what technique I used I could not get the bottom color to show up, I tried at least 4 different types of brushes of varying lengths, with no luck. It wound up looking really yucky on my fingers & nothing what it looked like in the bottle. For me it was just a total waste of money & a big disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought a bottle myself, and I too expected it to come out in cool swirls. I must say, your paper samples came out better than mine! Mine came out a dirty pink. I think it may have been if the makers did not include the color black. I think white would have given better results.

    www.naturaldetoxes.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kimberly! Wow, on the one hand I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in my results, but on the other hand I just don't understand how the manufacturers can knowingly release a product into the marketplace that just plain does not work. Such a bummer. Thanks for taking the time to share you experience with me. :)

    Hi Jahidas, thanks for sharing your experiences with this product! I'm bummed that it didn't work for you either (but if you've read the comments you can see that we're not alone as I have yet to hear anyone tell me that this product gave them great results). Sorry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought the the same thing Lay it on me nails and it all looked like one color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This stuff is crap. BRING IT BACK, DON"T BUY IT. I DID>

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen similar polishes at Claire's. I've always thought they wouldn't work but a small part of me was curious. Now I know never to waste money on it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen them in Claire's too and my first thought has always been that can't possibly work, Can it? Now I'm glad to know that I shouldn't waste my money! Thank you for saving us :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig