Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, September 28, 2009

Lavenders, Taupes and Purples...oh my!

Do you ever walk up to a nail polish display, spot a color you like, and then desperately attempt to access your mental library of every similar color in your stash? I do this all the time, and I'm constantly amazed at how poor my color-recall is when I'm standing in the drugstore clasping a pretty bottle of nail polish thinking to myself, "Do I already own a color very similar to this??"

I'd like to share with you the results of my bad memory, because this recent experiment was quite different than most. Usually I'll say to myself, "No. I don't own a color similar to this red." Only to bring it home and discover that I already own THREE shades of red almost identical to the color I just purchased.

But I guess my color-recall for purples isn't so good, because I bought the following three shades on three separate occasions and I was convinced--seriously convinced--that I would get these home and find that I already owned the same shade from a different manufacturer. Boy was I off!







Um...yeah. So obviously these colors look nothing like each other, but in my mind, I really thought I was going to be purchasing the same color I already had at home.

So tell me, which shade do you like best? The violet-purple cream (Milani), the deep plummy-taupe cream (Pure Ice) or the lavender-putty cream (Carlo di Roma)?

The most surprising thing about these shades is that the one that cost the least (Carlo di Roma nail polishes retail for $1 at Dollar Tree) wears the best! I think I got six days out my last manicure with this color with no chips and very little wear on my tips. Amazing!
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. honestly I can't pick!!! But if I had to pick one, I'd pick the Carlos one :)

    http://babe333.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I do this all the time! I'll stand there, literally STARING at a bottle of polish going 'Hmm...do I already have something like this?' Maybe I should take a pic of my stash with my camera phone so I can take it wherever I go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the plummy 2nd one. Lemming born! Now I have to go hunt it down.

    I got that same Carlo di Roma at DT and it's one of my faves. And I just picked up that Milani yesterday. What a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Behold... the notebook page of blues!

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/evilplaidkitten/blues-1.jpg

    I did this in an effort to prove to myself the uniqueness of China Glaze's 2Nite, however looking at it now, I think I should start doing it for everything. I buy some polishes in the store, but I swap for a lot of it, and a lot of my polishes don't end up looking the same in the bottle as they do when they're painted. If I do this, I could at least look at my colors before I swap for something and hope it doesn't end up too similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm torn between the Milani and the Carlo Di Roma. I think I like them equally well, just for different occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All three colours are beautiful, perfect for fall! (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would def. wear the Carlo Di Roma. I love those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey ladies! Well it looks like most of you prefer the Milani or the Carlo di Roma. My poor ol' Pure Ice shade isn't getting much love. lol! That's ok though...that shade actually doesn't photograph well (it's much prettier in person).

    Thanks for all the great comments. As always I'm relieved to hear that I'm not alone in my anxiety about always purchasing the same shades of nail polish!

    Mimsy--it looks like we have the same taste in nail colors! Yay! :)

    PapayaBunny--what a great idea! If I were more organized I would totally keep a notebook like that. You're an inspiration! xo

    Hey femputer--that sounds like a great idea, but as you can probably tell from a lot of the pics on my blog, the colors in camera phone pics are totally unreliable. :( lol! Sometimes I think about just quickly swatching a color on my nail right there in the store, and then rushing home to see how it compares to the colors in my stash. But ew, that's just wrong! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love the Milani!!!! I think you may have convinced me- I think I have to go back for that one :) The Pure Ice polish is really nice too- my cousin bought that one and it's much more purple than expected.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Milani! You've totally created a lemming for me here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do this all the time! But only for a fleeting moment b/c if I like the color (no matter if there is a slight chance of having a dupe at home) it is coming home with me!
    All are great colors I think I like the Milani the best.
    But Carlo di Roma? Six days?? That's awesome! I saw these at my DT I think I might have to go pick them up!
    Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Tanya! You neeeeeed "Radiant in Purple"! Seriously, it's even better in person. :) And you're totally right--the Pure Ice has a lot more purple in it than expected. You know what's funny? I actually thought of YOU when I bought that one, because of the name! I was like, "I know Tanya's on a nail polish kick right now, and I wonder if she owns this one?" lol! xo

    Hey Laurie! lol! Sorry about that, but I must say, the Milani is gorgeous and even prettier in person. (get it! get it!) lol!

    Hey contests and such! Thank you so much for letting me know I'm not alone! lol! Yeah, that Carlo di Roma polish totally surprised me! I have a few of their shimmers and the staying power is good but not as great at that cream. I'd love to know what colors you find at your DT! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too funny - I like the Pure Ice the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Gloria! YAY!! We have one vote for the Pure Ice!! lol. Thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too love pure ice, so different from anything else, and can be glam and sophisticated all at once!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig