Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Review: Walgreens Revo Grape and Wild Cherry Lip Balms (On Sale this Week)

Before I get into this review, I want to mention that I noticed an unadvertised sale at my local Walgreens this week (now through 2/27 or it could be a month-long promotion) on Walgreens Revo Lip Balms. They are regularly $2.99 each, but I got them for 2/$5 this week. Hopefully they'll be on sale at your local Walgreens too.

When it comes to the Walgreens Revo "beach ball" shaped lip balms, for the longest time my local Walgreens stores only carried the Strawberry flavor and Watermelon flavor (they also have the "beehive" type Revos but that's not what I'm referring to today). But recently I noticed that they added the Revo "beach ball" flavors Grape and Wild Cherry to the permanent lip balm aisle, so I thought I'd give them a try. I think these two new flavors were added to the permanent line a few months ago, but please let me know if you've seen them in-store even longer than that?

IF YOU'RE NEW TO REVO LIP BALMS: Revo lip balms are made by the company OraLabs. OraLabs makes Revo lip balms under their own house brand (ChapIce) as well as for house brands for Walgreens, CVS, and Rite Aid. Revo and OraLabs have absolutely no affiliation with EOS (in fact, the two companies were in litigation recently regarding patents), and their formulations are completely different. I know that some of you have expressed concern about this, given the lawsuit involving EOS (that lawsuit was recently resolved, in case you haven't heard; read about it HERE), so I just wanted to be clear and confirm to you that the two companies are not related, and the ingredients in Revo lip balms are different from EOS lip balms.

You can compare this for yourself:

EOS Strawberry Sorbet Lip Balm ingredients (from the Walgreens website):

Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil Organic , Beeswax Organic , Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil Organic , Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil Organic , Natural Flavor Aroma , Shea Butter Organic , Stevia Rebaudiana Leaf/Stem Extract Organic , Tocopherol , Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil Organic , Fragaria Vesca (Strawberry) Fruit Extract Organic

Walgreens Revo Lip Balm ingredients:


So now that we have that out of the way, let's get to this review!

Walgreens Revo Lip Balms in Wild Cherry and Grape
(retail: $2.99 each, 0.25 oz.)






In my past Revo reviews I have discussed formulation, so I'll just give you a quick recap on that in case you missed my other reviews. These lip balms glide very easily on to the lips, and they have a slick feel to them. They are not as heavy/waxy as original EOS lip balms (I prefer the EOS Visibly Smooth formula to the original EOS formula, because the original EOS formula feels quite waxy and a bit dry to me).

Revo lip balms have a lighter, slicker feel to them than the original EOS lip balms and, probably due to the lighter, slicker texture, the staying power isn't as good as EOS for me. However, these feel great on my lips, and I don't mind reapplying a few times through the day because, for the most part, Revo flavors and fragrances are downright yummy. Revo tends to do a great job at both flavor and fragrance, which is a big selling point for me (especially in their limited edition collections like this one). I also want to add that Revo lip balms don't deposit any real color to my lips--for the most part, they're colorless no matter the flavor.

Wild Cherry
As a cherry lover, I know that cherry flavors in lip, bath, and body products are hard to pull off. They run the risk of veering into "cherry cough syrup" terrain, and very few cherry-scented items actually smell like real cherries to me (VitaBath does the most realistic cherry fragrance I've ever encountered, by the way). Sadly, Revo Wild Cherry veers into "cherry cough syrup" territory, and it's definitely not working for me. The scent is sort of a mix between cherry cough medicine and that "waxy cherry" note you find in Cherry ChapStick. And the flavor tastes a bit like cherry cough syrup to me as well. Such a bummer, because I had high hopes for this one given that I LOVE the Walgreens Revo limited edition Valentine's Day 2016 Cupid's Cherry Cordial lip balm. I think that the addition of a chocolate note in that one is what sets it apart and makes it better than Wild Cherry.

Grape
Now we're talkin'! If you love grape candy or Grape Kool-Aid, you're probably going to love this one. The fragrance reminds me of Grape Kool-Aid powder (before it's mixed with water) and also a bit like Lik-M-Aid Fun Dip. So basically powdered grape candy. Such a fun, sweet, tart, nostalgic fragrance, and the flavor is spot on powdered grape candy as well. Love it!

FINAL VERDICT: Skip Wild Cherry and head straight for Grape, baby! Well, unless you don't like the scent/flavor of grape candy. In which case, skip both. But if you love grape candy, meet your new favorite lip balm. I highly recommend this one for the nostalgia alone.

What's YOUR favorite Revo flavor? 

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. I found some Christmas themed ones on sale and I got sugar cookie and I love it! I am now obsessed with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I love that Sugar Cookie flavor too! :)

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, I'll have to pass on these. I bought the mini version of the cherry Revo and a grape one from the Halloween 2014 collection and I found out I'm allergic to both flavors. I like their chocolate/mint flavors, especially chocolate mint and mocha mint. They should come out with more mint flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mini watermelon I got at Big Lots was nice. I saw some Vday flavors at Walgreens for half off right after Vday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who is *severely* allergic to any kind of artificial sweetener, the fact that these contain sucralose makes them a big no-no. I'd be worried that any that I ingested simply via drinking/talking would trigger a violent headache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that, too. I can handle saccharin in a lip balm for some reason -- like just a touch won't irritate me -- though I try to avoid that, but I have to avoid sucralose and aspartame like the plague because they trigger migraines in me. And they put that stuff in so many products, from bagels to cough syrup to lip balms!

      Delete
    2. Yes! I have to constantly look at ingredients in foods I buy for that reason, but beauty products...I had no idea. (And beware Emergen-C vitamin powder- I learned the hard way with that stuff a few years ago.)

      Delete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig