Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, May 8, 2014

Swatches and First Impressions: Wet n Wild Summer 2014 Limited Edition All Access Beauty Coloricon Bronzer & Blush Collection

NOTE: for my swatches of the Megalast Nail Colors that are also part of the Wet n Wild Summer 2014 All Access Beauty Collection, please click HERE.

I received the new Wet n Wild Summer 2014 Limited Edition Coloricon Bronzer & Blush Collection for review last weekend (click here to see what the display looks like) and though I haven't had time to give them a proper testing in the few days that I've had them, I wanted to give you a "first impressions" type of post and also show you some swatches since I know that many of you are quite excited about these. So let's get right to it:

Wet n Wild Summer 2014 Limited Edition 
All Access Beauty Coloricon Bronzer & Blush Collection
(retail: $3.99 each, 0.46 oz)

NOTE: These compacts are the exact same size as the regular, permanent Wet n Wild Bronzers (click here for my review of those).


Hold me Close


Hold me Close contains a bronzer with subtle sparkle and a matte blush.



My first impressions of Hold me Close:

The bronzer is actually more of a highlighter but on my NC20 skintone, the only thing that shows up is the subtle sparkle. I really can't see this bronzer on my face, no matter how much I apply. The blush is a nice shade of pink but it's very sheer on my skin. The pigmentation is not like the regular Wet n Wild blushes. I used my e.l.f. Small Stippling Brush for application and I could barely see either shade on my cheeks (whether worn alone or mixed together) after blending. I would suggest this compact only if you are VERY fair and want a hint of color. I couldn't get this one to photograph on my face (sorry). 

Dusk Till Dawn


Dusk Till Dawn contains a matte bronzer and a satin-finish blush.



My first impressions of Dusk Till Dawn:

No sparkle in this one--the bronzer is matte and the blush is satin. The bronzer is kind of a neutral terracotta with reddish undertones. The blush is a peach-leaning pink. The pigmentation of this compact is a little better than Hold me Close, but I struggled a little with getting this to show up on my NC20 skintone. I had to apply a few layers to get it show up, but it still wasn't pronounced enough for me to get a good photo for you (sorry).

Everything Under the Sun


Everything Under the Sun contains a satin bronzer (there is some very, VERY subtle, sparse sparkle present but you really have to search for it) and a matte blush.



My first impressions of Everything Under the Sun:

This is the only compact of the three that really shows up nicely on my NC20 skintone. Here's a pic:


I obviously would not wear this much bronzer on my face in real life, but I wanted you to see that the bronzer works for contouring (I suck at contouring but you get the idea). I applied the blush to the apples of my cheeks and along my cheekbone, with the bronzer below. Overall, this is a nice, warm-leaning terracotta bronzer. The blush looks warmer on my face that it appears in the pan--it's more of a peach with pink undertones than the other way around.

Additional thoughts: I wore the above combo around my house on Sunday for a full eight hours (over a BB cream and a translucent setting powder--no face primer) and by the end of the eight hours, I could still see traces of the bronzer and blush. Overall, the texture of these compacts is on the drier side--they are not what I would describe as silky or buttery, but they're not rough or grainy either. The blend well but they do kick up a bit of fallout in the pan when you're swirling your brush. Speaking of brushes, you would need to use a very small brush in order to pick up JUST the blush color in these compacts. I've been using my e.l.f. Small Stippling Brush with these and I've noticed that brush picks up a little bit of the bronzer color when I'm only trying to pick up the blush. On the other hand, due to the way these are configured, it's easy to pick up just the bronzer color and not any blush.

Pigmentation on the first two compacts is lacking for my taste, but could be good for those of you with very fair skintones (I know it's hard to find subtle bronzers at the drugstore if you're extremely fair). But if you are an NC20 or above, I would definitely suggest Everything Under the Sun over the other two. I actually like the sheerness of Everything Under the Sun because you can't overdo it unless you WANT to overdo it (see my pic above). I think that if you're new to bronzers and still trying to figure out placement, etc., Everything Under the Sun could be a nice, affordable option for experimenting.

I'd say that if you're around my skintone or deeper, you might want to consider Everything Under the Sun if those colors appeal to you and you like sheer bronzers that can be built up. If you're a bit more fair than I am, Dusk Till Dawn might work for you (but again, don't expect crazy pigmentation--these colors are sheer). If you're extremely fair, you might have luck with Hold me Close, but I don't suggest that one for anyone close to my skintone or deeper because I really couldn't see either the bronzer or blush on my face, even after layering. I was hoping Hold me Close could be a nice highlighting shade for me, but the only thing I see is subtle sparkle when I wear it (no color and it doesn't have the soft, beautiful sheen that you find in the permanent Wet n Wild bronzer Reserve Your Cabana). I think the best thing about this collection is that none of these bronzers contain a heavy amount of sparkle--even the sparkle that is present in two of these compacts is so fine and subtle it's barely noticeable after blending.

Do you already own any of these new limited edition bronzers? If so, I would absolutely love to hear from you!

NOTE: these bronzers are now starting to pop up in stores (along with the Summer 2014 Limited Edition Megalast Nail Color Collection). I will be posting an interactive sightings map here on the blog to help us track sightings. Please check back soon for that if you're interested in finding these.

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.Blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. I was fence-sitting on these and now I'm not--really helpful pics and review, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I need that Hold Me Close really bad lol! I wish they would start popping up at stores around me! Thanks for the swatches G!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought all three of them, and they were all quite sheer and stiff when swatched, but all of them actually showed up well on my face (NC20ish). They're definitely VERY different than the permanent ones though - those are so soft and buttery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! Sounds like Everything Under the Sun is the one for me. I've been stalking all the Walgreens around me with no luck. I'm glad I didn't find them yet because I would have bought all three, but now I know I only need the one. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. WooHoo!! Just found these today at Duane Reade along with the nail polishes. Super excited to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I am really surprised that they lack pigmentation! They look so bold and rich in the pan!!!! I love the artistry but since I already love Laura Geller Balance and Bronze, I will skip all of these! I haven't seen these in stores yet, and now I know I won't kill myself looking for them! (just the new polishes!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well thanks to this review I will scratch these off my list. Money saved :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought all three last week when I saw them. I was a sucker for the packaging and they were in sale at Kroger. Love them all!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig