Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, February 6, 2014

Beauty Bite: CoverGirl Flamed Out Shadow Pots

The CoverGirl Flamed Out collection came out last spring, and last summer I reviewed a few of the Flamed Out Shadow Pencils (click here) which I liked very much.  I received two of the Flamed Out Shadow Pots for a review a while back, so here's my quick take on them in case you haven't tried these yet!

CoverGirl Flamed Out Shadow Pots in 335 Charcoal, 330 Melted Gold
(retail: around $4 each, 0.07 oz)

The Flamed Out Shadow Pots come in twelve shades, which you can view here. These pots have a screw-top lid which I actually like, in an old-school type of way (anyone remember when MAC shadows came with screw-top lids?).  The one thing I don't like about the packaging is that the shade names are not printed on the labels--only the numbers:

 photo 060-2.jpg

 photo 007-6.jpg
335 Charcoal

 photo 006-7.jpg
330 Melted Gold

Both of these shadows contain a lot of glitter. I could only capture the glitter in photos taken in low-lighting AFTER I had swiped the surface of each shadow, so please note that the following photos are not color-accurate: 

 photo 063-2.jpg

 photo 066-2.jpg

The following swatches are color-accurate, but unfortunately you can't see the glitter (it's there though):

 photo 059.jpg

PROS
  • Nice pigmentation even without primer (primer doesn't do much to intensify the pigmentation)
  • Easy to pick up color with your shadow brush
  • Easy to blend
  • Good staying power (even without primer)
CONS
  • No shade names on the packaging--just numbers
  • No safety seals (I have heard that some of you have spotted these WITH safety seals, but I personally have not)
  • Both shades contain a lot of glitter, which leads to fallout during application
  • Texture is a bit powdery, which adds to fallout during application

THE LAST BITE: Do I love these? No. But I also don't hate them. The pigmentation is actually better than some of the CoverGirl trios and four-pans I own, and I like that I don't need to wear primer with them on lazy days. They can take me through a full day without primer but, on the downside, the glitter fallout means you have to apply them with care, so in that respect they're not good for a quick swipe-and-go, unless you've mastered the art of glitter-heavy shadow application (I haven't). I don't know if all of the shades in this range contain glitter because I only have these two, but I can tell you that you might not know if a shade contains glitter until you get it home and swipe the surface. I could not detect glitter in these shades until I started swiping them with my brush. CoverGirl goes on sale often and there are always coupons available, so I think that if you can get one for a good price, and you're drawn to any of the shades in this range, they might be worth a shot. Unless of course you don't care for screw-top lids. If you're concerned about glitter, definitely google some swatches before you make a purchase.

Do you own any Flamed Out Shadow Pots? If so, I would absolutely love to know how they're working for you. Also, I just noticed that CoverGirl has released Queen Collection Shadow Pots. Have any of you tried those yet?

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.Blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. What is up with CG not putting the shade name on the package? They did that with the eye pencils too. If you ever want to go back and see a shade name, you can't. So frustrating...I did buy two of these last time they were BOGO 50% off and I agree, nothing to write home about for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, but it is a pain to have to go to the website and check the name. :(

      I think I might like these shades more if it weren't for the glitter, but that's just personal preference. Did the shades you got contain glitter?

      Delete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig