Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, March 21, 2013

Review: Yves Rocher L'Eau Comme une Evidence

The product featured in this review was purchased with personal funds.
NOTE: There are two version of Yves Rocher Comme un Evidence. There is the original Comme une Evidence, and there is also a lighter, updated version called L'Eau Comme une Evidence. This review is for the lighter, updated version, which I actually wasn't even aware I had purchased (I just went for the travel size since I had never tried this fragrance before) until I sat down to write this review!
When I was a little girl, my mom wore a perfume called Sweet Honesty by Avon. I know that this perfume is still available through Avon, but I've heard that it's not quite the same as the original version which launched in 1973. Anyway, I haven't sniffed Sweet Honesty in decades, but when I ordered L'Eau Comme une Evidence from Yves Rocher back in December, I had no idea that it would evoke such wonderful childhood memories and take me right back to my mom wearing Sweet Honesty when I was little girl.

I have been searching for a fragrance that's in the same vein as Sweet Honesty, but somehow updated and more modern. And this, my friends, is it:

 Yves Rocher L'Eau Comme une Evidence Purse Spray

This fragrance, along with everything on the Yves Rocher website, often goes on sale. It's not on sale now, but I would wait for the next sale to swing around if you want to try it (the 2.5 oz bottle IS on sale right now for 45% off--$30 instead of $55, but I think that's a lot to spend on something you may have never tried before, so that's why I'm suggesting to wait until the purse size bottle goes on sale again). As you can see, I didn't photograph my bottle before I started wearing it, and I'm about halfway through this bottle now (purchased in December).

When I wear this fragrance, sometimes women stop me on the street to ask me what I'm wearing. I've had a waitress in a restaurant beg me to pull up the Yves Rocher website on her smartphone so that she would know exactly how to buy a bottle. It's definitely one of those fragrances that people gravitate toward because it's soft, feminine, and for lack of a better word, addicting. 

Keep reading for my full review...




The notes are simple and beautiful: essential oils of patchouli, bergamot and petitgrain, rose and jasmine absolutes.

If you're not a patchouli person, please don't let that scare you off--these notes all combine into a very soft, sheer, delicate fragrance, so you won't be blasted with patchouli when you wear this (although I do think the patchouli contributes to the stellar staying power of this fragrance).

  Made in France

I'm not quite sure how to explain this, but if you took Sweet Honesty from Avon and gave it a 2013 update, I think it would smell a lot like this. It's fresher and a bit more complex and sophisticated than the Sweet Honesty of my memories, but it still has that comforting feminine sweetness of Sweet Honesty that I remember loving when I would smell it on my mom back in the day.

To my nose, it's hard to pick out particular notes in this fragrance, because they all meld together so beautifully to create a distinctive (and addictive) scent. I do get some rose here, but I wouldn't call this a straight-up rose fragrance, because there's so much more going on. I have to admit, when I first tried this fragrance straight out of the box, I wasn't terribly "wowed" by it. But trust me when I say that the longer you wear it, the more addicted you might become. There's something about this fragrance that just evokes sweetness and femininity, but not in a heavy, cloying or syrupy way. It's soft like a comfy sweater, but it's also bright and uplifting. 

As I mentioned earlier, this one has terrific staying power--I can spritz a bit on my wrists and neck in the morning and still detect it in the late afternoon (thanks, patchouli!). 

FINAL VERDICT: This one can creep up on ya, Nouvettes. You may think, straight out of the bottle, that it's nothing special and it may even smell a bit familiar or boring to you, but you just wait! After an hour on the skin, you may be humming a very different tune. This is such a soft, feminine, comforting fragrance. Part floral, part citrus, part earthy, the notes combine into something I just can't quite put into words, except to say that it embodies femininity in the best possible way. It's not a brash or loud fragrance and I don't see it offending anyone, but it's also not so light that it will go unnoticed. If anything I've said here today intrigues you, I suggest waiting for the next sale on the Yves Rocher website and giving this one a shot yourself. You just might fall hard for this one (I know I did). 

Do you own any Yves Rocher fragrances? What are some of your favorites? If you missed my other recent Yves Rocher fragrance review, you can click right here to give it a peek.
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. Sweet Honesty was my first "grown up" scent! I wish I could smell it again! Your description of this Evidence really has me thinking I should try it! I haven't ordered from them in years! I am going to go the site tomorrow and see the offerings! Too tired tonight, it's bedtime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of Avon, Pavielle was an old fav of mine, I think its long discontinued though. It was sooo clean and soapy, and I remember having it in rollerball form when I was a kid. I guess Odyssey is kinda similar, used to love that one too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. G, thank you so much for your review of Yves Rocher Monoi Eau des Vahines. I ordered it, along with sample sizes of several other fragrances including Comme Une Evidence, as soon as I read your review. The shipment arrived today, and I immediately sampled all of them (like you do). I absolutely LOVE Comme Une Evidence! I didn't much care for it when I put it on; I thought it smelled nice, but it didn't have enough depth for my preference. Once it dried down, though, it developed into the most amazing rich floral scent. It literally smells NOTHING like it did in the bottle--but in the best possible way!

    I also really like Monoi; on my skin, it smells like rice pudding, and I keep wanting to chew on my wrist. Don't worry, I'll try to restrain myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought this and Monoi after your review and I am IN LOVE with both! IN LOVE! It only arrived on Tuesday and I already know that this is what I have been searching for and I so appreciative for you and this blog. Comme Une Evidence is the best smelling perfume ever in the world to me. I will never be without a bottle of it. Seriously, it is really divine. So feminine but not overly heavy. When I put it on I think "how pretty!". I am so glad I made this purchase based on your recommendation, G. Also YR gave me great customer service, so I am now hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my mom's signature scent :') she wears the original during colder months and this one during summer and fall, and I love it on her but can't wear it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a teeny bottle of this that I got when I ordered Monoi. With Monoi, I knew I loved it right away and it is a perfect scent for every day. I wasn't sure about Evidence when I first smelled it, and honestly I'm still on the fence about it. I'm wearing it today, and while it's pretty, I'm not sure if it's "me." I'll most likely wear it occasionally, when I'm in the mood for something different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got original for some gift from Yves Rocher and it is pretty scent... but i turns in my skin very bad, it smelled like rotten flesh (and I know how that smells unfortunately) and while I do love other parfyms on Yves Rocher this is not for me :) BTW have anybody noticed that Yves Rocher's Moment de bonheur is pretty good dupe for John Galliano Parlez-moi d'amour? It just needs to sit on skin little while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agghh, now I want this one! I bought the Monoi one after reading your review and I am really enjoying it. I also got a mini vial of the So Elixir Purple and I like that one, too. I'm really impressed with Yves Rocher fragrances so far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Honesty cologne spray from Avon was my first real "perfume" when I was a teen. I loved that one so much. That and the Hawaiian white ginger cologne they sold. This is going to bring back sweet memories and I can't wait to give this Yves Rocher a try.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig