Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, October 24, 2012

From the Vintage Vault


Today I bring you a "very special edition" of From the Vintage Vault. I"ll only be featuring one product in this post, which happens to be a product that is extremely near and dear to my heart. That product is MAC Nail Polish (they weren't called "Nail Lacquers" back in the day) in the shade Jungle Fever:

MAC Nail Polish in Jungle Fever
(2001)

Keep reading for more pics, comparisons and swatches (yes, swatches!)...


Jungle Fever was the first nail polish I can remember being absolutely obsessed with. Before that? Sure, I loved certain polishes, but it wasn't until Jungle Fever came along that I recall being so absolutely captivated by a nail color (much more on why, in a minute).

Jungle Fever was a limited edition Nail Polish from the Summer 2001 Eden Rocks Color Story (does anyone refer to MAC collections as Color Stories anymore??). This was one of my favorite LE collections from MAC--oh how I miss those China Markers!

(Since we're getting nostalgic here, allow me to reminisce about another MAC Color Story from yesteryear. Does anyone remember Peacenick from February 2002? That was my first introduction to MAC's Rosemary & Thyme Eye Kohl, which then  became another huge obsession of mine for a few years.)

Back to this polish:


Back in the day, MAC Nail Polishes (now Nail Lacquers) contained 0.47 oz of product. Now they contain 0.34 oz and of course the bottle is dramatically different:

MAC nail polish: then and now

I suspect that they got rid of the frosted glass bottles because it made it difficult to see the actual color/finish of each polish. But oh how I miss the caps on the old MAC polishes. They had little grooves on them which gave them a nice grip, and they didn't get dirty like the rubberized handles of today.


Brush width hasn't really changed.

A closer look at Jungle Fever:


What made this polish so special back in the day was that, in 2001, you just didn't see polishes that were this sparkly. We take sparkly polishes for granted now, but the finish of Jungle Fever was so unique back then, and the color was too. I certainly had NEVER seen a golden-tangerine sparkly polish at the drugstore before. Heck, I hadn't seen one anywhere before!

This color became a huge deal for my friends and me (this was pre-beauty blogs so I can only assume it was a huge deal for others as well). I remember that one of my roommates at the time tried to claim that this bottle was hers. That obviously caused a huge polish meltdown in the house, and after that blowout I decided that we all needed to grab a Sharpie pen and put our first initial on ALL bottles of polish in the house. 

It's a little faded but you can still make it out:

This polish is MINE, damnit! See that "G"??

Sidenote: It's been years since I wrote my "Gs" like that. I hate that little line that comes down on the right-hand side and I cringe whenever I see old papers where I signed my name with a "G" like that. So ugly. Ugh.

Now for some swatches (I don't wear this polish anymore because it's achieved "covet" status, but I made an exception for this blog post):

Three coats, no top coat. Picture taken with flash.

The rest of these swatches were taken indoors without flash and are much more true-to-life:



This color is sheer even after three coats, but LIKE I CARED?! 

It was stunning to me then, and it's still beautiful to me today--look at all that tangerine goodness with all the beautiful gold shimmer and sparkle. Juicy and yummy!



Thanks so much for taking this stroll down memory lane with me! Do any of you remember Jungle Fever? Did you own and love it back in the day? I"d love to hear from you!
SHARE:

43 comments

  1. That is a really pretty polish--have you found any dupes for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! I've tried and tried and I have yet to find an exact dupe. :(

      Delete
  2. Pretty. It reminds of of Wet n Wild's quick-dry orange, the 9021-Orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're similar, but the wnw is darker, more orange and the sparkles are chunkier. :(

      Delete
  3. This is gorgeous! I miss the old MAC NP bottles:/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I LOVE these VV posts, G!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh G. no wonder you put your initial on that. That is exactly the type of mystical vintage polish I adore. This is simply scrumptious eye candy.

    I adore these vintage treasures so!

    You are inspiring me to pull out some of my oldies but goodies to share with my readers.

    This is a really fun post! I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg you totally should!!! I would LOVE to see all your old goodies!! :)

      Delete
  6. that is so beautiful! but i have to ask you! i have polishes from 2 years ago that have gotten thick and ruined ? :( how do you keep your nail polish from becoming thick? and if they do, how can you fix it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can bring just about ANY polish back from the dead with nail polish thinner!! Just add a few drops at a time and shake....if it's still too thick, add some more!

      I buy mine at sally:

      http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/mProduct-Show?pid=SBS-163400

      But you can also buy it at Ulta and I think maybe even Walgreens! :)

      Delete
  7. i love the polish and i love your makeup stories, G. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! So glad you enjoy these posts, honey! :)

      Delete
  8. Nice! I definitely didn't know about Jungle Fever back in the day, though. I was 9 and I wouldn't know about the wonders of MAC for another six long years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making me feel reeeeeally old! Lol!!! ;)

      Delete
  9. so pretty, I always love your VV posts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post! I remember back in the day maybe 1999 taking a trip to New Orleans I was so excited partly because there was a department store with a MAC counter! I couldn't buy it anywhere with in a day 's drive! I bought lip liner and a lipstick and gloss! My husband was such a good sports while I perused! Have you ever found a dupe or something close?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it the Canal Place counter in Saks? I practically lived there during college!

      Delete
    2. I loved that story, Robin! :) And sadly, I've never found an exact dupe. :(

      Delete
    3. OMG I heart Canal Place. Many memories...especially seeing its state after Katrina. I was only there a short time, and moved away about 3 years ago, but it still holds a special place in my heart.

      Delete
    4. I used to get my makeup done at the mac counter at Canal Place for dances! I think everyone in my high school did! This was around 2001-2002.

      Delete
  11. I say "you only live once, wear the polish you love!!" Lol

    I think it's great that you still have and can use a product you loved so much. I don't have lots of old products but I love these posts bc I totally remember the old wnw bottles you featured in another post. I just remembered I have an OPI lipstick in "I'm not really a waitress"... Need to find out if OPI still even makes lipstick lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, I totally remember those OPI lipsticks!!!

      And I love your motto. :)

      Delete
    2. I googled them after posting this comment and realize they don't exist. I have about half the tube left but don't wear it too often because it is an intense red. Thinking about getting the polish now so I can have matching "lips and tips" Then I realize I do have a few older products a duo of shimmery eyeshadow sticks from the body shop, an older revlon lipstick with the gold rings on the tube and a maybelline lipstick that was in the brownish bronze tube that I don't even have a sticker on. I purge my makeup regularly so it's cool to see that I do have some older products that are still usable :)

      Delete
  12. I love these posts! And this color is LOVELY! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey! I write G like that. Thanks for knocking my penmanship, lol. :P

    I love these posts. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! So does my boyfriend! His look cute, as i'm sure yours do, but mine on the other hand, look ugly! ;)

      Delete
  14. That bottle looked SO familiar, but I've never had a MAC polish. Pure Ice used to come in similar bottles, right? I think my last one ended up smashed on the bathroom floor after an incident with my cat, so I can't check.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, that is gorgeous! I have a really old MAC polish in that style bottle... I need to pull it out and see if it's usable, it would be fun to revisit it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely! Reminds me of a really pretty polish from back in the day, "Tiger Eye" from Natural Wonder. (and now I've dated myself. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, that brand sounds so familiar! Was that around the same era as Flame Glow??

      Delete
  17. These posts really make me smile. I am a hugely sentimental person and love walking down memory lane with you!! This is a stunning color! I had to LOL at your story and putting your initial on it! Too funny! I will be sure not to mess with you and your polishes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have you done a comparison of this with China Glaze Harvest Moon (from the Hunger Games collection)? I have that on my toes right now and it looks very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They remind me so much of Pure Ice's old bottles with the frosted glass

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have this nail polish. It is a pretty shimmery orange color. I would sell it to you if you want it.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig