Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, October 8, 2012

From the Vintage Vault


Over the past few months, I've received many, many requests to bring back my Vintage Vault series (thanks so much, everyone!) and I took some time over the weekend to get things in order and I'm delighted to tell you that the Vintage Vault has been re-opened!

For new readers, the Vintage Vault series came about after I discovered a long-forgotten box of old (aka: vintage) makeup in a spare room of my house. I had completely forgotten that I had this makeup, so I posted some pics of some of the products here, as a sort of "walk down memory lane". I had no idea that you all loved looking at older makeup as much as I do, so that's how the Vintage Vault series came to be. 

If you'd like to take a look at my previous Vintage Vault posts, click here (and when you get to the bottom of page, click "older posts" for more!). 

Today I'm focusing on two products that were in the "2004-2006" part of the box. These aren't quite vintage yet at just eight years old, but hopefully they'll bring back memories for at least a few of you!

Keep reading to see what I've taken out of the vault...

Physicians Formula Pearls of Perfection in Lavender Pearl
(circa 2004)

Pearls like this are nothing new when it comes to blush or face powder, but do you remember this eyeshadow pearl experiment from 2004? 


Physicians Formula has never been one to shy away from innovative, unique products, and I remember grabbing this one the minute I saw it at the drugstore (I believe these came in earthtone colors too, but I was still convincing myself that I looked good in purples back in the early 2000s, so I know that's why I chose this color).


As cool of an idea as this was, I'm afraid these pearls were kind of a bust. The color was flat (almost matte) on the eye ("pearl" makes you hope for a shimmery, luminescent finish, right?), and they were impossible to use with a brush. Running an eyeshadow brush across the pearls didn't pick up much color--I remember that vividly. So you had to use your fingers for application, which was pretty messy. You can see how messy it was just to open this jar:


Sigh..  These were a great idea, but not so great in reality.

And finally, we have a gloss that I'm sure many of you remember:

Mary-Kate and Ashley Liquid Color Ultra Wet Lip Gloss in Natural
(circa 2006)

Oh MK & A, what happened to you? You grew up and decided to put the kibosh on your drugstore makeup line. Sad!

I remember there were a few hidden gems in the MK & A line, and this was definitely one of them. I had a friend who told me I just had to pick up this gloss in Natural, and I remember thinking it was quite pretty on my lips when I bought it. I think that the color has "turned" over the years though, so the shade you see in these pics isn't quite what it was back in the day. I think it was lighter and not so orange...



Thanks so much for taking a peek inside the Vintage Vault. I hope this post brought back some happy memories for you, and I'll definitely be back with more vintage makeup goodies in the weeks to come.

If you remember and/or owned either of these products, I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

32 comments

  1. I didn't know about PF's Pearls of Perfection, but it did look like a cool idea. Pearls are pretty to look at. :)

    Wow, I remember my MK & A lip gloss! xD
    I seriously have no idea where it is now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA the pearls. Yeah I remember that. :/ LOL

    So... just curious and you may have answered this before but what is the oldest piece of makeup you still have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, that is a good question! I really don't know! I'll have to look and get back to you. :)

      Delete
  3. Ha! I still have my Mary Kate & Ashley lip gloss, AND a backup! Mine is a very pale baby pink/beige with a black lid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg when i was a teen( which wasen't too long ago, since im born in 1990) i use to wear the mary kate and ashley makeup brand all the time! i love it. and their movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, now I feel old! You were born the year I started college! Lol! ;)

      Delete
  5. Ngl I wish the twins didn't totally get rid off their line. I enjoyed some of their products when I was younger. I could only imagine what it would be now with their present style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had some of the MK&A makeup! I still have one of their polishes - it is chrome and my mom thought it was so tacky. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember having a blush in the "pearl" version. Application basically sucked! I got so frustrated with it one day that I took the end of a sturdy blush brush and crushed up all the pearls in the jar...kind of like a mortal and pestle. Ended up working out in the end but I never bought that kind of blush again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, I considered doing the same thing with this eyeshadow! Lol!!

      Delete
  8. I <3 the Vintage Vault! When you run out of old things, maybe you could feature some from readers? (Sadly, I handed down all my unwanted stuff to my mom and sister :/) I remember MK&A makeup! I had a few of their body sprays and I loved one of them so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a GREAT idea!! I will definitely do that! :) Thanks, Jen!

      Delete
  9. I had several Mary Kate and Ashley lipglosses! They were really nice for the price! I had a really sparkely plum that I loved! I do miss them! I had a PF Pearls of Perfection that I did not have any luck with, I think the pearls were a pinkish color

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Vintage posts are my faves! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw, thank you, honey! So glad you like these posts. :)

      Delete
  11. yep I remember those! still have a backup or two of the PF highlighter pearls, just in case haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you remember these! And wow, so you still use them? Are they better than the eyeshadows?

      Delete
  12. I don't remember either product.... But I definitely love this series. I think it's a great idea to do reader submitted posts of vintage vaults because I would love to see what people are still holding onto.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a MK&A duo perfume; NYC and LA. I loved the LA one. Of course, I can't find it, it's somewhere in this house. And, of course, I found the NYC which is OK but not the better of both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, I always wanted to try those darn perfumes!! Lol!

      And don't you hate it when you're looking for something and you find everything BUT the thing you're looking for??

      Delete
  14. I just looked at some old Vintage Vault posts. I cannot believe it. I used to love Revlon Street Wear nail enamel. I had a charcoal. It was my go-to polish. I also had Revlon Super Top Speed Firecracker. It was so pretty. Does anyone remember a LE Maybelline polish that was clear with red hearts in it? I miss that one too. So many memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad these are able to bring back some memories for you! :)

      Delete
  15. Lol the pearls!! I had them.. After fighting with them a few times I decided to keep them just bc they were pretty - but knew deep Dow. They were useless!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! So glad I wasn't alone with these! ;)

      Delete
  16. I remember the MK&A line, I don't recall the shadow pearls, but I really didn't do much in the way of makeup as a teen except lipgloss and mascara.

    G, why do you think purple don't suit you? I think it'd look lovely with your eye colour- you just want a richer shade than those pearls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet of you to say. :) I've actually tried every shade of purple known to man and, inevitably, someone always asks me if i'm sick when I wear purple near my eyes. I think it has to do with my yellow undertones or something, but they just do not work for me. Same thing with pinks. So sad! Pinks and purples make me look jaundiced! Lol

      Delete
    2. that's a shame. i wish i could do your makeup- i have some rich purple liners that might look really awesome, and i'd pair them with a purpley taupe or a nice pewter shade to minimize the undertones. i have yellow undertones too, believe it or not- hard to tell in photos but you can see them IRL.

      Delete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig