Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Review: NYX Matte Bronzers and Illuminating Bronzers

Summer's here, and if you're anything like me, that means it's bronzer season. This is the one time of year when I really look to bronzers and highlighters to compensate for the fact that I slather sunscreen on my face on a daily basis. So today I'd like to show you the new NYX Matte and Illuminating Bronzers, which I received a while back for review.

You can purchase these products on the NYX website and they retail for $9 each. Please note that while I was sent all three shades in the Illuminating Bronzer range, I only received the first three shades in the Matte Bronzer range (there are two additional deeper shades in this range, which you can view here).

 NYX Matte Bronzers and Illuminating Bronzers
(retail: $9 each, 0.33 oz)

Ingredients - Matte Bronzer:


Ingredients - Illuminating Bronzer:


These bronzers come in sleek black compacts and they're quite generous in size. For example, many of my standard drugstore face powder compacts are between 0.35 and 0.34 oz, and these contain 0.33 oz of product:

 
Clockwise from the top:
Light
Medium
Deep




The Matte Bronzers are truly mattes. There is not one spec of shimmer or sparkle to these. The common thread that runs throughout the three shades I received for review is that they all have a yellow undertone to them, making them quite wearable and natural-looking for a large range of users. 


Light has a slight peachy tone to it, whereas Medium has more of a honey tone to it. Deep is, in my opinion, just a darker version of Medium; they share the same undertones.


For my NC20 skintone, the only wearable shade for me is Light. I find Medium and Deep much too dark for me to pull off, but then again I'm pretty pale. 

The consistency of the Matte Bronzers is quite nice. They're soft, nicely pigmented, they don't have much fallout, and they easily blend on the skin. I can get about six hours of wear from these powders before I start to see fading, and I like that, because of their matte finish, they can all easily double as contouring shades.


Next up, the Illuminating Bronzers:

 Clockwise from the top:
Narcissistic
Magnetic
Chaotic

Please don't look to the photo above for color accuracy. The photos below are much more accurate, and I ALSO want to show you these photos because, after breaking the surface of these powders with my brush, the TRUE finish of each shade became more visible.

Note: these photos were taken after several (dozens) of uses:

 Narcissistic

 I think the shade name for Narcissistic might be a little tongue-in-cheek nod to a popular, higher end brand. Indeed, all three of these Illuminating Bronzers remind me of NARS Highlighting Blushes (retail: $28 each), and they behave more like highlighters and blushes well (in fact, I wouldn't categorize them as true bronzers). Narcissistic is a beautiful, light peachy-golden shimmer with fine gold sparkle that I've been wearing on the tops of my cheekbones and above my eyebrows lately. It's very pretty worn in that way, as it gives the skin a luminous, sunlit glow. Staying power is good, not great, with this one. I can get about four hours of wear before it starts to fade.


 Chaotic

I tried to circle the sparkle in Chaotic (above), but it's still kind of hard to see in my photo. The sparkle in Narcissistic is finer--the sparkle in Chaotic is just a touch chunkier, though maybe not as abundant. When applied on the skin, you can see the sparkle though, so I want you to be aware of that. For me, this rosy-peachy-pink is the most blush-like of the three Illuminating Bronzers. In fact, I've been wearing it as straight-up blush for several weeks now and I love it in that capacity. I've tried wearing it as a highlighter, but it's got more of a satin finish to it, so it really doesn't read as highlighter on me. It feels like I've just run blush across my forehead when I try to wear Chaotic as a highlighter, so if you're around an NC20 like me, I'd buy this one if you're looking for a nice, warm pink blush. Staying power, when worn as blush, is good with this one. I can get between 6-8 hours of wear before it starts to fade.


 Magnetic

Magentic reminds me of a popular shade of blush (nudge-nudge wink-wink), with the additional of abundant, chunky gold sparkle. I think you can easily see how much chunky gold glitter is in this product, so if you're a glitter fiend, meet your new best friend for the summer.  Magnetic is a gorgeous shade of golden peach, and it behaves more like a highlighter than a blush on me. Worn as blush, it's a bit on the sheer side (though you can build for more intensity). But worn as highlighter, it gives such warmth to the skin, along with a very pretty sheen, and of course tons of gold sparkle. The finish on this one is more of a satin, but since it's sheer, it works better as a highlighter than Chaotic. Staying power is about 4-6 hours for me before I start to see fading.



All three Illuminating Bronzers have varying degrees of sparkle to them. You really must love sparkle to wear these, because I find that the sparkle sticks around on the skin even after the color starts to fade. Narcissistic's sparkle is fine, whereas the sparkle in Chaotic is bit chunkier. The sparkle in Magnetic is mega-chunky. 

As far as the consistency of the Illuminating Bronzers, I don't find them quite as finely-milled as the Matte Bronzers. There's some fallout with these, and if you don't blend well, they can sit on the skin and look a bit powdery. So be sure to moisturize well before application and blend, blend, blend.




FINAL VERDICT: If you're looking for pigmented, matte bronzers in shades that are quite wearable and natural-looking, then I think you might want to consider NYX Matte Bronzers. I think they're easy to apply, a cinch to blend, and the staying power is quite good. Plus, they can double as contour shades, giving you a bit more bang for your buck. If you're looking for highlighters to give your skin luminosity and glow this summer, I'd consider the NYX Illuminating Bronzers, but you've really got to like sparkle if you're going to wear any of the three shades in the range. Each shade contains varying degrees of sparkle: fine (Narcissistic), chunky (Chaotic) and mega-chunky (Magnetic). I think that all three shades would be wearable for a variety of different skintones, with Narcissistic probably being the most wearable of the three. Chaotic works best as a blush for me, and Magnetic can be used as either a blush or highlighter (worn as blush, you'll need to build for intensity though). Also, take note that the Illuminating Bronzers are a bit more powdery than the Matte Bronzers, so extra blending is required. 

Do you own any NYX Bronzers? If so, what shades do you own, and how do you like them?

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

19 comments

  1. i have been using the matte brozer for a month or two now and i really like it! i have gotten compliments on it and i think it looks really natural as a contour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear your experience with the Matte Bronzer is similar to mine! What shade do you own? :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent review! I would try the bronzers but I don't like NYX products :c Anyways, thank u for sharing! Regards, x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post! I have been looking for a good but inexpensive matte bronzer for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I would love to know what you think if you try one. What shade are you thinking might be a good fit for you? :)

      Delete
    2. Oh my goodness, Narcissitic looks AMAZING. I think I have to own it. The matte bronzer in light looks pretty great too. These are only online right now?

      Delete
    3. If you mean are they at Ulta, then i'm not sure...I haven't seen them at my local Ulta, but I haven't been there in a few weeks. Sorry!

      Delete
    4. I agree w E...I'm going to Ulta tomorrow for the Narcissistic..BTW..I just came across your blog today and I must say it's my new obsession!

      Delete
  4. I think the matte bronzers look lovely! I want to try this soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know what you think if you do!

      Delete
  5. I love my matte bronzer, gives me that subtle contour without looking over done. I need to look into the illuminating ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My experience with bronzer is it looks like I've rubbed dirt on my face - not pretty. But I want to find a bronzer that gives that sun kissed glow because Im certainly not going to allow the sun to do it! If I find these at ulta I'll give them a go. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a chance to try a couple of these. However, I'm too pale to make them look natural. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so what does magnetic look like? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where have you guys found the NYX matte bronzers? I haven't had any luck at ULTA and they are sold out on cherry culture. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you think NYX Matte Bronzer can be a dupe of The Balm Bahama Mamma?
    I am still undecided which matte bronzer to get.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I bought the nyx matte bronzer today in deep after reading this.
    I like it much more than my Benefit Hoola bronzer

    x thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Talc AND Mineral Oil? Sigh... I guess I won't be trying these.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig