Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, March 29, 2012

Review: New Beverly Johnson Go Curly

Whenever I hear the name Beverly Johnson, I immediately think "stunning, iconic supermodel". For those who don't know, Beverly Johnson was the first African-American model to grace the cover of Vogue magazine. But if you missed my previous post, then you might not know that Beverly Johnson also recently launched a new line of multi-cultural haircare products that are now available at select Target locations (click here to access the store locator at the very top of the homepage).


A little while ago, I received a few products from Beverly Johnson's new line to try for review. Today I'd like to show you Go Curly, which I've been using for a few weeks now:

 Beverly Johnson Go Curly
(retail: $19.95, 8 oz)



Long-time readers of this blog know that I have long, naturally wavy hair. Although I'm not a Woman of Color, I do battle with dryness on my ends and also frizz. I'm always on the lookout for a product that can enhance the natural wave pattern of my hair without making it look or feel crunchy. My ideal product would give me long, beautiful, soft ringlets that stay soft and uniform all day.

This product has a consistency that I would call "soupy". It reminds me of the texture of something like split-pea soup, if that makes sense. It's not watery, but it's also not thick or pudding-like.


The fragrance is AMAZING. To me, it smells like tropical coconut with maybe a little touch of gardenia. Whatever it is I'm smelling reminds me of summertime and warm, sandy beaches. I love it.



I realize that $19.95 seems a bit steep or Nouveau Cheap readers, but trust me when I say that most of you will probably only need a very small amount per application, and the tub is huge (8 oz).  The method that's been working for me is that I'll take two of my fingers and literally "dip" them into the tub. Then I take the product that's coating my fingers and apply it to my hands, almost like I was applying hand lotion. Then I work my hands through my wet hair and that really seems to do the trick.

The first time I used this product, I was literally stunned after I scrunched my hair. I had a head full of curls that went on for days. Just a few "scrunches" and BAM! In fact, the first time I used this product, I ran out of the bathroom to Mr. G and just pointed at my head and said, "Can you believe THIS?" Of course his response was, "What? Did you change your hair color or something?" Men...

Anyway, I could certainly tell the difference, and I've been extremely pleased with the results I've seen in the weeks since I've been using this product. Applied in the morning to my wet hair, I can scrunch a few times, let my hair air-dry, and my curls are abundant and uniform all day and into the night. 

The one thing I do want to warn you about is that if you use too much, you will get "the crunch" as I like to call it. A few times I got overzealous with this product and about an hour after my hair dried, I noticed that my curls were crunchy. So just remember: less is more.

Also, I've noticed no flakes or residue in my hair after it dries. Used sparingly, my hair is soft to the touch and this product delivers what it promises: "soft flowing frizz free curls".

Have you spotted the new Beverly Johnson haircare collection at your local Target yet? Thoughts? For more information, or to find out which Target stores carry this line, click here.

 A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. This sounds great! My current favorite hair product is TIGI curls rock curl cream, but I'm always looking for the next, better thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this part of a hair care line, or just a single product?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have naturally curly hair, but I can't use this stuff. It has Cyclopentasiloxane, which is a silicone that builds up on my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you think this compares to other curl - enhancing products you've recommended (e.g., Dove nutri-oil shampoos & treatments, Creme of Nature Argan oil, and Suave whipped cream curl enhancing mouse)? Particularly for the higher price point, do you think it's better, and, if not, which do you like best?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I will have to check this out. I have coarse, dry, wavy hair that is very long, and unless I blow-dry it, it gets frizzy-curly. This might be a way for me to let my hair air-dry successfully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be on the lookout for this! I have been using the Curly Sexy Hair Curling Creme and really like it, but I'm almost out so I'll try this next if I can find it! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. :( I was looking forward to a before and after picture. Great review though. Might be worth looking into!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. please post a before after pics! would very much love to see the results!

      Delete
  8. so only people with curly hair can use this product? if a person with straight hair used this product, would their hair become wavy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. so you can only use this product if you have curly hair? if a person with straight hair used this product would their hair become wavy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. How would you compare it to the Andalou Naturals Styling Cream you posted about on February 24th?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How would you compare this to the Andalou Naturals Styling Cream you posted about in February?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was hoping you would include a photo of that amazing hair of yours! I have wavy hair that I usually flat iron but I can coax (takes some real effort) it into a pretty good amount of curl so I would be interested in seeing an after shot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds great! I have naturally wavy hair and am always on the lookout for new products that will make my waves look good! But, I really can't justify that price point even if their IS alot of product in there!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig