Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, February 3, 2012

The lotion that saved my face (seriously)


I realize that the title of this post is a bit dramatic, but allow me to explain...


I received this bottle of Curel Skin Nourishing Deep-Conditioning Lotion ($7.99, 13 oz) for review a few months ago. As with most lotions I test for review, I like to use them for a good, long while to see if they can improve the texture of my skin over the long haul. After using this product for a few weeks, I was pretty astounded by the results. Specifically, this lotion seemed to really work on the areas of my body where I'm prone to dry patches (my elbows, knees, etc.). So I was perfectly content with writing a review letting you all know that this is a great lotion if you have stubborn dry patches on your body, especially if you've tried other lotions that don't seem to really do the trick. I own a zillion lotions and sometimes even my tried and true favorites don't really work that well when I've got REALLY dry skin.




But then, the unspeakable happened.

One day I decided to wash my face with a product that contains salicylic acid, and then follow that with a product that contains glycolic acid. Well, my usually sturdy skin just couldn't take the double-dose of acids, and within 24 hours practically all of the skin on my face became red and started to sting. It was painful. In the days that followed, my skin started to look like the skin of a 90-yr-old woman. I'm not kidding when I say that. I had the driest, scaliest skin and the fine lines around my eyes were accentuated 100x because my skin was just so dry. I actually didn't even want to leave my house or let Mr. G see my face for two days.

In those two days, I used every moisturizer I own to try and soothe my face and take away the dryness. I tried rich, heavy creams, I tried all-natural shea butter, I tried everything. And nothing seemed to give me anything other than very minor relief, with the dry patches showing up just an hour or two after application.

Right when I thought there was literally no hope, I remembered something that I had read on the back of this bottle of Curel lotion:


See that last bullet point in the photo above? "Gentle enough to use on face." Well geeze, if this product worked beautifully to combat the rough, dry patches on my body, why WOULDN'T I try it on my face? At that point, I literally had nothing to lose.

So I started with a light application on my face, taking special care to really work this product into the extremely dry patches on the top of my forehead and on the tops of my cheeks and under my eyes. That's where things were really bad, and so rough to the touch that my skin almost felt like low-grade sandpaper.

Within minutes, I could literally feel the difference. And within hours, I could SEE the difference. I'm telling you, I have never used a lotion that so completely transformed my dry skin. I'm not sure how it works (I never was good in science) but the combination of ingredients in this product literally work magic for me.

To wrap up my littler skincare nightmare story, I proceeded to apply this product to my face once in the morning and once at night, and within TWO DAYS, my skin was literally back to normal. Granted, it's a bit heavier than a traditional moisturizer and I wouldn't suggest using it as a daily moisturizer if you have oily skin (it's kind of sticky), but if you have rough, dry skin that you want to soothe and heal QUICKLY, I just can't think of another lotion that worked this quickly and effectively on my skin, and that's why I'm telling you this little story.

Here's a small dab of Curel on the back of my (dry) hand:


And here's what the same hand looked like about 30 seconds after working this lotion into my skin:


The texture of this lotion feels almost watery at first. When you start to work it in, it glides over the skin very easily and it's pretty effortless to rub onto your body. But after the watery feel dissipates, this lotion becomes a little bit more challenging to work into the skin. It gets a little waxy and sticky in texture, but it's not greasy. I don't really know how to describe it, but once the texture turns heavier, that's when I know it's time to stop working it in and just let it do its magic.

When applied to my body, I can literally go 24 hours or more without feeling the need to reapply it, even on the driest areas of my skin. Over time, this lotion has pretty much cleared up the dry patches on my knees and elbows (with continued use). I do notice that when I stop using this product, the dryness has a tendency to come back but, to be fair, that happens with any lotion I own.

The fragrance of Curel Skin Nourishing Lotion is sweet like shea butter and honey. I don't find it extremely strong, but I do smell it every time I use it, so those sensitive to fragrance should be aware of this.

FINAL VERDICT: If you suffer from extremely dry patches of skin and none of the lotions in your arsenal seem to give you the relief that you crave, I think you might be pleasantly surprised by Curel Skin Nourishing Lotion. This product is what I like to call "the big guns". If all else fails, this is my go-to product to combat dry skin and it literally saved my face. Would I use it every day, even on the areas of my body that don't contain dry patches? No, I wouldn't. That's because the texture can be a bit heavy, waxy and sticky. But for me, that's a perfectly fine trade-off if I need fast relief and healing. This one's now a staple in my household when nothing but "the big guns" will do.

You can find Curel Skin Nourishing Lotion at most drugstores, grocery stores and mass retailers across the nation. For more information on this and other Curel products, visit their website here.

Have you tried any products from Curel? Do you have a favorite? I'd love to hear from you.

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

24 comments

  1. I was just looking for a good skin moisturiser! i may try this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am getting that and I ain't even kidding!!! I'm taking a new medicine that is making me dry and it's bothering me most on the palms of my hands. Nothing is working. I'm gonna hit walgreens tonight or tomorrow and grab this magic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you're being dramatic at all! I also have a savior product, Burt Bees Primrose Night Cream! It has the consistancy of crisco and is only for REALLY dry skin, but I love it, so I completely understand!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I depend on Curel Advanced Therapy Ultra Healing Lotion. I refuse to use anything else for my hands and when my face is really dry, I routinely use it on my face and it works great. I can put it on at night and in the morning, my face is soft and velvety and hydrated. I love that stuff. Curel is the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! That looks super effective. A great moisturizer and/or body lotion is a must for me. Props to Curel for having a great product like that. My hands are ALWAYS very dry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg i dont think youre being dramatic. as i was reading your blog im like oh on she didnt!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dramatic title but from what I see in the before and after photo, I can understand your melo-drama.

    It appears great and I'll recommend it to my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need this in my life! My hands are always so dry, especially in the winter time. Will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use curel on my kid's skin for their eczema as recommended by my pediatrician. It's wonderful. Any time I try a different lotion I regret it as their skin gets so dry again. It's a little price but I haven't been able to find anything else that works as good. Curel is good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this post. I would probably try this if there is some type of sale at drugstore. I suffered dry patches, break out, and oily skin on my face this winter. It annoyed me so much because I thought my daily face moisturizer would work to at least cure the dry patches. But that was not the case. Then I found out that Cetaphil lotion actually work well!! A little goes a long way on the face. Within 2-3 days, my dry patches gone too. Though my oily skin does not work well with this because it cause a sticky oily layer on the skin. But I'm glad I got one thing to cure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Curel is great! A lot of their products are good for dry skin. Especially perfect in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I should look for this. My hands are so dry from work my knuckles are splitting :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went out and bought this last night after reading your review for my dry knuckles and wrists. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Curel lotion! The anti-itch lotion for excema has saved my son's skin. Also, these are BOGO 1/2 off right now at Walgreens! Including the 25% more bottles. It's a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Curel makes some great lotions. I have the Ultra Healing one and though it takes a while for it to soak in, it's really, really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you. Seriously! I have been fighting these awful dry patches of skin on my arms and back all winter. I think I've tried at least a dozen different lotions and nothing helped. Based on this post, I decided to give this lotion a shot and within 2 days my skin started to improve. This stuff is my new HG lotion.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE Curel. I've tried their Targeted Therapy Hand & Cuticle Cream as well as the Skin Nourishing Lotion. Best lotions ever.

    I haven't tried using the Skin Nourishing Lotion on my face though, but I plan on trying it now. Thanks! :)

    --- Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is my first time posting, but I felt like I had to leave a comment about this product. I have been looking for a good and affordable moisturizer for a long time. I've even used higher end brands, like Clinique's Dramatically Different lotion, and Shiseido's White Lucent cream, and I still ended up with dry patches on my cheeks no matter what the season. So, when I read your blog, I figured I would give it a try. I bought the Daily Moisturizer as this one may be a little too heavy. I wanted to wait a couple weeks to post, and I have nothing but praise for Curel. My skin actually feels different. It is smooth and hasn't broken out. They do have a Fragrance free formula for those with sensitive skin, but this works do well for me. I am do glad I made this purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have messed my face up!! I have the same dry, sandpaper skin you described but I had a reaction to a face primer. I am going to try this..I hope it works as well for me as it did for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have messed my face up! I had a reaction to a face primer. I have the same dry, sandpaper skin you described. I am going to give this a try. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm 34 and from time to time I get dry flaky patches on my face that don't go away for at least 2wks. I've tried all kinds of lotions, serums, scrubs and oils and nothing has gotten rid of it (it would show up again within a few hours). My mother had a bottle of this exact lotion so I decided to give it a try. IT WORKED!!!! NOOOO dry flaky fish scales and I'm on day five and not a single dry flake on my face. Just purchased a big bottle at Walmart for $5.49.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have the same exact problem! I put two different things on my face that have gycolic acid in it. My face is a wreck right now! My sk8. Feels like sandpaper! I am going to try the Curel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you write this comment from future ?!😋

      Delete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig