Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Review: Rimmel Stay Glossy Lipgloss in Fuchsia Fever

I spotted the new Rimmel Stay Glossy display at my local Rite Aid recently, and I WOULD have pics of the display for you if my cell phone was cooperating (it's not). So for now you can go to the Rimmel site to view all 24 shades in this range.

If my memory serves me correctly, this line came out at the beginning of 2010 (don't quote me on that) but then I don't really remember seeing it around in 2011, do you? Well whatever the case, it's back and although I don't know if the formula has changed or if there are new shades (compared to when it was around before), I do know that I was surprised to see a black gloss in the display (Black Diva). You don't see too many black glosses at the drugstore outside of Halloween, so that's pretty exciting, right?

I'm sorry, but I can't stop myself from thinking of Ron Burgundy whenever I see the name of this gloss:




Stay classy, San Diego.

If I had a dime for every time I've left on a trip and said,  "Stay classy, San Diego!" as I'm leaving, I'd be rich right now (for those of you who don't know, I live in San Diego).

Moving on, let's take a closer look at Fuchsia Fever:





Rimmel Stay Glossy Lipgloss in Fuchsia Fever
(retail: $4.99, 0.18 oz)

I stepped outside of my comfort zone with this bright fuchsia shade because all of the colors in the Rite Aid display were shimmers with the exception of Fuchsia Fever. So that's primarily why I bought it; I have too many shimmery glosses right now and not enough cremes, so I figured what the heck.

In the store, this shade looked like a straight-up creme, but it was only after I got it home that I discovered the subtle blue flash to this gloss (circled below):


PLEASE NOTE: My camera has a horrible time picking up fuchsia colors, so the pictures of this shade are NOT 100% accurate. In person, this is more of a deeper, darker blue-based fuchsia. In my photos it looks a bit lighter and a bit warmer than what you see in real life.


The applicator is lovely. It's flat and curved and unlike other applicators of this nature, this one doesn't have as much bend to it, which allows for extremely precise application. LOVE this applicator!




And as you can see, this gloss promises "up to 6 hours" of "last & shine".


The above swatch on my arm is a bit more accurate than the photos of the tube above. In real life, you can't really see the blue flash, but rather it makes the overall color appear more blue. It's a quite vivid and bright shade, but once it's on the lips it does tone down a bit:



Pigmentation and opacity:
Judging by the swatch on my arm, I thought Fuchsia Forever was going to be extremely opaque. Well if you look at my lips, it does have a nice level of opacity to it, but I wouldn't say it's like an OCC Lip Tar or anything that crazy. The pigmentation is nice as well--it's a bright, bold fuchsia in the tube, as well as on the lips.

Texture and shine: This is not a heavy gloss, nor is it a sticky gloss. It feels nice and creamy on the lips, with only a teeny tiny bit of stickiness. I also don't find it to be overly runny or slick. I'd classify it somewhere between a lightweight gloss and a medium-weight gloss. As far as shine level, I'd say it goes on with a standard amount of shine, but then the shine fades rather quickly and leaves more of a matte finish behind. A few times while wearing this, I noticed that the shine was gone in under 30 minutes. For something called "Stay Glossy" I guess I was just hoping that the shine would stick around longer.

Fragrance and flavor: You're either going to love it or hate it. To my nose, this smells sort of like roses and plastic. The flavor sort of tastes like roses and plastic as well, but everyone's different and I'm sure some of you are going to disagree with me. Do I personally dislike it? Not really. It's tolerable, although I don't find myself saying, "Oooh, I need more of that!"

Staying power: For a gloss that says (right on the tube), "up to 6 hours" of "last & shine", I wasn't expecting the moon with this, but I was expecting a good three hours or so. I'm very sad to report that I've worn this gloss a number of times in the past week or so, and I just can't get it to last more than an hour on my lips. The shine and color fade after about an hour for me, and what I don't care for is that this gloss tends to fade from the inside of my lips outward, leaving a ring of color around my lips as it disappears.

FINAL VERDICT: I don't know if it's the nature of this particular shade (which is pretty much a creme with subtle blue micro-shimmer) or if all of the glosses in the Stay Glossy range perform like this, but I'm sad that my lips did not "stay glossy" for more than 30 minutes to an hour after application of this gloss. I've worn it over a dozen times and I can't get it to last longer than an hour, even during those times in the day when I'm not eating or drinking anything. So if you don't go into it thinking this is going to a long-wear lipgloss with lots of shine, then you might not be disappointed with Fuchsia Fever. I think the color is gorgeous, the texture is quite lovely and I adore the applicator. I can get past the fragrance and flavor, and the price is certainly a selling point at $4.99 (even less if you wait for a sale and/or have coupons). I just think that if they didn't CALL it "Stay Glossy" and made the "up to 6 hours" claim, then this would be a very pretty gloss collection without any disappointments.

Have you tried any Rimmel Stay Glossy Lipglosses? If so, I would absolutely LOVE to hear about your experiences.
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. Hiya, G! I am so glad you tried one of these out! I picked up the shade Timeless Allure (well with that name, who wouldn't want it, lol!) I really like layering this over a deep berry colored lip liner and the color lasts longer for me. I really like the dimension this shade has. I have worn it in two of my makeup look posts (if you want to see what it looks like) Going out look for 2012 (over a lip pencil) & Maybelline Tattos Only Look (over a lipstick). I never did a swatch of it though, and probably should have. In my collection I do not own a shade like this, so that could be why I am so fond of it, and typically lipgloss doesn't last worth a hoot on my lips (I think I am an obsessive licker - haha) but I believe you on the staying power of this gloss on its own - definitely lacking, and definitely not a "stay glossy for 6 hours". Although this particular shade may leave behind a little more shimmer as it wears so over liner it feels like it isn't all gone, perhaps! ;)
    BTW, did you see the BLACK gloss in this line? Like seriously there is a black lipgloss! Not sure I'll rock that one! Heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought one of these at Walmart about 2 months ago, on an endcap.
    Roses and plastic is a perfect description of the smell! Not my taste, but I would have worn it if it delivered on its claims, but I had the same result. Didn't stay shiny and didn't last very long on me at all. I was bummed because I generally like Rimmel lip products!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YourBFF: lol! I actually mentioned the shade "Black Diva" at the beginning of this post. Nice to see a black lipgloss at the drugstore outside of Halloween, huh? :) I'm so happy that you had a good experience with Timeless Allure. I'll have to check out that shade the next time I'm at Rite Aid.

    jbrobs: I'm so glad you agree with my description of the smell. What a bummer that you also agree w/ my assessment of the staying power (or lack thereof)...I was hoping you'd say the shades you bought had better staying power (thus, giving me hope). Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I missed that you wrote about Black Diva at the beginning of the post! I thought about it before commenting, and re-read to see if you had mentioned it but missed it. GAH! :( Sorry I have committed the cardinal sin of commenting on a beauty blog -- appearing to have not even read the post before commenting!! :/ I'll blame it on my headache if that is okay with you.
    Again, sorry! <3 angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm dying to try Black Diva, but how black is it? Anyone tried it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have three of the Rimmel Stay Glossy lipglosses and I love them. They are so smooth and for someone who's lips are as dry as mine, I really appreciate the texture. I honestly have never tried a lipgloss that had any major staying power and just ignore any claims that they do. I am a lip junkie and expect my lipgloss to shine and look luscious! Thanks for your review and I really enjoy your site!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The color looks really pretty but personally I'm not a fan of lip glosses. Maybe I'll find one that changes my mind one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi, i'm one of your new followers on twitter and i really enjoy reading your reviews, you're very thorough which is greatly helpful. i read your posts everyday and i just want to say that you're doing a fantastic job.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been a believe that any lipgloss can stay shiny for any real length of time, I think it is the nature of the beast... I do appreciate when there is some lingering stickiness on the lips a few hours later. However I think the color is really pretty on you G.!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice review! I have this in color 'Unlimited gold'. I like it a lot, great use stand alone or with other pink lipsticks. I also felt that this cannot last for that long, however, they somehow kinda moisturize my lips even after those gloss are gone.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig