Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, July 31, 2011

Review: Freeman Feeling Beautiful Avocado & Oatmeal Clay Mask

I've got a few more products to review for you from the folks at Freeman (I've already reviewed the pomegranate body scrub and pink grapefruit facial scrub in case you'd like to check those out). 

So far I'm delighted to tell you that the Freeman products of my youth aren't just great in memory--they're still totally working for me today. Don't you love it when you revisit brands from when you were younger and they don't disappoint?

So today I'd like to show you the Freeman Feeling Beautiful Avocado & Oatmeal Facial Clay Mask:

Freeman Feeling Beautiful Avocado & Oatmeal Facial Clay Mask
(retail: $3.99, 6 oz)

Unlike the scrubs I showed you earlier, which can be harder to find in stores (I believe Ulta carries them), I have seen the Avocado & Oatmeal Clay Mask at my local Rite Aid, and I think CVS carries it as well.


I think I can count on one hand the amount of facial masks I've reviewed over the past few years on this blog. Why? Because when it comes to skincare, I'm straight-up lazy. There. I said it. Masks take some time and planning, and I actually have been burned a few times in the past with masks that have "purged" my skin a bit too much (aka left me with breakouts) a day or two after using them. So if I'm going to use a mask, it has to be pretty special. And this one, my friends, is pretty darned special (and super inexpensive, which is like hitting the jackpot for me!).

First of all, after water, the second and third ingredients in this mask are kaolin and bentonite, which are both forms of clay. Kaolin works extremely well with my very oily skin (it's the second ingredient in my beloved Black Radiance Shine Control face primer). I can't promise kaolin will work well for your skin, but for me, I just love the way it quickly absorbs oil and it doesn't leave my skin overly dry in the process.

And of course, what would a facial mask review be without a scary picture of the reviewer wearing the mask, right?


I love that this product is thick, but not TOO thick. I can spread it on my face quite easily, which is always nice if you're in a hurry. The pic above was taken before this mask had dried, but this mask doesn't take a long time to dry at all--maybe 5 minutes or so, which is nice if you don't have all night to do a mask.

I've used the Avocado & Oatmeal Mask about a half a dozen times so far, and here's what I can tell you:
  • It leaves my skin Oh. So. Soft. Really, my skin is ridiculously soft after I use this product.
  • It does an excellent job at absorbing oil, which is a welcomed relief in the heat of summer when my skin is at its utmost oiliest.
  • My skin does not feel dry or tight after using this product, and I haven't experienced any dramatic post-purging effects (i.e. breakouts).
  • Unlike other clay masks I've used in the past, this one is A BREEZE to rinse off. I am always shocked to find it's completely gone after my first rinse, with no lingering residue at my hairline.
  • This product smells amazing to me. It's got this warm oatmeal note, yet there's a fresh crispness to it as well. It's such an inviting scent--I can't really describe it but, to my sniffer, it reminds me a lot of the Coriander fragrance from Kiehl's, which I absolutely love.
FINAL VERDICT: During the heat of summer, I find the Freeman Feeling Beautiful Avocado & Oatmeal Facial Clay Mask to be the perfect remedy for a bad case of "the greasies". My skin gets so ridiculously oily during the summer, and I have been loving this kaolin-rich mask for helping absorb the oil and leave my skin feeling a bit more balanced. If you've got oily skin, I think you might enjoy this one. I love the ease of application, the ease of removal, and the fragrance is just so yummy it makes me not want to rinse it off. For $3.99 a tube, this one's a true drugstore gem.

You can purchase Freeman Feeling Beautiful Avocado & Oatmeal Facial Clay Mask at drugstores and online.

Have you used anything from Freeman recently? Does this mask seem like it might be a good fit for you and your skincare needs? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

19 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing! Looks like a great mask!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this mask and I love it. It is one of the few products availiable locally at walmart. How often do u typically use the mask? I also noticed that walmart had some samples of some of the new freeman products. they didnt have the pomegranate body scrub, but they did have the pink grapefruit facial scrub and the chochlate and strawberry mask(im eager to try both). I was a little short on cash so i didnt pick them up when I saw them but i definatly will next time. WOuld the pomegrante body scrub be with the freeman skincare products, or would it be with the body wash? Hopefully since they have some of the sample sizes they will get the ful size bottles in soon and I sure hope they get the Pomegranate body scrub in cause i really wanna try it but dont want to order online. Does anyone else know a place that carries the pomegranate scrub. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I have used and liked this mask in the past. I also have the Freeman Mint and Lemon Mask, which I am really loving this summer! It smells and works great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie: You're so welcome! I hope you love it if you try it. :)

    ashwillis: I mentioned in this post that I believe Ulta carries the Pomegranate scrub. I don't get to Ulta too often so I can't confirm, but I'd call Ulta and check before you go. :) And the Chocolate Strawberry mask sounds heavenly. Thanks for the great info--I didn't know these products were carried at Walmart! Oh, and I've been using this mask once a week, which is great for summer but I probably would use it twice a month during cooler months. :)

    Brianna: Thanks so much, hun! I'm so glad you like this mask too, and the Mint and Lemon one sounds divine! I must try that one next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. G., when i went to Ulta i do not recall seeing the Pomegrnate scru with the other products. I think usually most Freeman products are grouped together. but i guess it could have been with the body wahses/scrubs. But i live lie 45 min away fro Ulta, so i would definetly call before i went. Im gonna check Rite Aid to see if they have it. I think they had the Pineapple Enzyme mask in the full size and im eager to try that too. But i will pick up the choclate and strawberry mask and let u know if i like it. I think i will pick up a sample of the pink grapfruit scrub also and maybe a few other. I cant remember what all they had in the samples. they had like8 different things I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this mask, it's my favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought this awhile ago at Rite Aid but still tried to finish my other mask so I didn't used it until after reading G.'s review. I love this mask, so easy to apply, dry fast and easy to take off as well. The scent is light yet so wonderful. My skin feels so good afterward. Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought this awhile ago at Rite Aid but I didn't tried it until today after reading G's review. I love this mask. It is so easy to apply, dry fast and easy to take off as well. The scent is light yet so wonderful. My skin feels so good afterward. Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I can't wait to go out and get this mask!! I have been in love with kaolin ever since I found it a while back in Proactivs refining mask. It works wonders for my skin like yours. Thanks for yet another perfect review :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh and I am also very excited to check out the black radiance primer you mentioned above with kaolin as well! Thanks for mentioning that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First time I've seen this was in Walmart and a week after everything was sold out. I didnt know they sell these in Ulta, def will try these out after I'm done with my mask stash. thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really like the cucumber & ginseng peel-off. just cuz its fun~ lol. i have this one but, i think i like the queen helene mint julep better.
    i really want to try the chocolate and strawberry mask & mint and lemon mask & and the pineapple enzyme mask.. and basically everything else! :D i wish they were more easy access

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds great. I've never tried a mask freeman but it definitely go try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have never tried this brand, but with this price and this review..sounds kind of like a keeper. The only thing is I am super lazy when it comes to masks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bought this for $2.99 at Walmart a bit ago. I totally didn't NEED it, I probably never should have considered it since I wasn't exactly rolling in money at the time, but I did it anyways. I agree with everything you posted! It's amazing and cheap. No excuse to pass it up if you come across it.. even it you don't like it, it's not as though you've spent an arm and a leg on it. I got sunburnt really badly a couple weeks ago, too, and I put this on and rinsed with cool water and then put some aloe vera on my face and I felt one million times better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing I found 4 new Freeman facial mask and peel I bought them all back in June and I have to say they are all AMAZING I am 43 with now been using this company brand since a teen, ulta has all of these

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found this mask at Walmart on clearance! So I thought I'd give this a try and I think this is exactly what she described. My face feels soooooo smooth and it was a breeze to wash off!I'm 41 now and trying to take better care of myself including my skin and this is another easy weapon in my beauty arsenal.

    Try the egg mask also, it's really great and a brightener at that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I literally have the mask on my face now . Hopefully it does some good>!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, thanks for the review. May i ask if you use this clay mask at night or before going out in the day so as to make your skin look matte?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig