Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Review: Freeman Feeling Beautiful Pink Grapefruit Exfoliating Facial Scrub

Freeman Feeling Beautiful Pink Grapefruit Exfoliating Facial Scrub
(retail: $3.99, 6 oz)

I'm so happy that the folks at Freeman offered to let me try some of their products for review, because Freeman is a brand that I used to love so much when I was younger. I honestly don't know why I stopped using products from this line (actually, I do know why--I've got a wandering eye and I'm always looking to try new things. Duh!). But now that I've reconnected with this brand, I'm really happy to discover I love them just as much as I did back in the day (for proof, see my review of their fab Pomegranate body scrub).

So today I'd like to show you their Pink Grapefruit Exfoliating Facial Scrub, which is not new, but the packaging did receive a cute makeover.


I'm kind of obsessed with facial exfoliators and I've reviewed quite a few of them over the years. If you've read my past reviews, then you know I have some pretty strict criteria when it comes to my facial exfoliators. I don't like coarse, jagged particles (no apricot seeds or walnut shells) and I prefer my exfoliators to have a nice, thick consistency (think toothpaste) with scrubbing particles are that densely packed. If they're not densely packed, they have a tendency to be too gentle on my skin, and I like an exfoliator that I can actually feel.

I also don't like products that contain big round beads. I much prefer those fine, exfoliating crystals like the type you get in at-home microdermabrasion products, and I'm happy to report that Freeman Feeling Beautiful Pink Grapefruit Facial Exfoliating Scrub contains the fine crystals that I love.



 In fact, the crystals are so fine that I couldn't capture them in a photo. If you look closely at this photo, you can kind of seem them suspended in the base:


Speaking of the base, this product has a gel consistency, which is normally something I shy away from. Based on past experiences, I find that gel bases provide too much of a cushion between my skin and the crystals, and that gels sort of give a dullness to the crystals. But I'm happy to report that I didn't find this to be the case with this product. BUT, there's one tiny catch. For maximum "scrubbiness", I prefer to use this product at my bathroom sink and NOT in my shower. The reason is because, when used in the shower, there's too much water already on my face, on my hands, and in the air. Too much water tends to dilute this product and take away some of the "scrubiness". When used in a more dry environment, it doesn't dilute the product so much and it makes the particles a lot more robust. In the shower, this product is a lot more gentle.

So actually, it's nice to have two options--use in the shower for a gentle exfoliation, or use at the sink for a more intense exfoliation. I kind of like having that choice depending on the condition of my skin.

The fragrance of this product is YUM YUM YUMMY. To me it smells like delicious, sweet, tart, pink grapefruit lemonade. Such a pleasant scent to have on your skin in the morning.

One tiny word of caution though: if you use this product at the sink, beware of tiny crystals that may cling to your face after you rinse. If you use plenty of water to rinse your face, this shouldn't be a problem, but if you're in a hurry, I just want you to be aware that it could be an issue. If using this in the shower though, it rinses clean with no effort at all.

FINAL VERDICT: I officially have one more product to add to my stable of great, inexpensive drugstore facial scrubs! At just $3.99 for 6 oz, I think Freeman Feeling Beautiful Pink Grapefruit Exfoliating Facial Scrub is a fantastic deal, and I love that it's adjustable depending on the current condition of my skin. My skin feels incredibly soft after I use this product, and the yummy grapefruit fragrance and pretty pink color of the gel make this product both visually, and physically, a treat to use.

You can purchase Freeman Feeling Beautiful Pink Grapefruit Exfoliating Facial Scrub on the Freeman website, at Ulta and at various drugstores across the country.

Have you tried any Freeman skincare products lately? 

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. I used to LOVE Freeman products when they were sold in my country in the 90s. Specially the hair ones. They're no longer sold here in Chile, but i found a couple of online stores that sell them pretty cheap :).

    I'd love to try their enzymatic mask. I guess for the price i'm willing to give it a try!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love freeman products..have been using them for awhile and they are priced right. nice post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't heard of this brand before, thanks for the review! I love grapefruit-scented things, so I will definitely give this a look next time I'm at the drugstore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i saw this @ ralphs this monday and i almost picked it up. but i thought, wait, G hasnt done a review on this, so i should wait! esp b/c its not on sale. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a shame my face doesn't do well with intense exfoliation. I had a look at their website and it doesn't look like they have this scent for any other products, but I'm very excited by their line. And they apparently don't test on animals, which makes me extra happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should give this a try. I already loved the St. Ives Green Tea scrub and I hope I like this too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great review! I am looking forward to trying this and some of their other new face wash products!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig