Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, March 3, 2011

The ten products I'm LOVING right now...

I've been getting some requests to do "holy grail" and "favorites" types of posts lately (I'm so honored you would even want to know my favorite products!). But since, like many of you, my favorite makeup items tend to change with the wind, I thought it would be fun to tell you what I'm loving right now and using on a daily basis. (If any of the products mentioned  are indeed holy grail, I will let you know that.)

So let me show you what I'm loving at this moment, and what would go right into my makeup bag if I had to suddenly pack for a spur-of-the-moment trip:


1. EOS Tangerine Medicated Lip Balm (full review here). The more I use this lip balm, the more I adore it. It contains shea butter (unlike other varieties of EOS balms) so it REALLY helps moisturize my sad, chapped lips. I put it on at night and by morning my lips are 10x better than they were the day before. Love love love it. Plus, it tastes like tangerines!

2. Maybelline Define-A-Brow Eyebrow Pencil in Dark Blonde. Though I have never formally done a review on this product, I've mentioned it a zillion times here because it is my true holy grail eyebrow pencil. In just about every eye look I've posted on Nouveau Cheap in the past year, I'm wearing this pencil on my brows. I simply adore the shade, the fine tip, and the way it really gets down inbetween your hairs. Also, the staying power is wonderful, even on my oily skin. Oh! And BIG bonus: it never needs sharpening!

3. Physicians Formula Organic Wear Jumbo Lash Mascara in Ultra Black Organics (full review here). It was love at first swipe with this mascara, and I might even go so far as to say this is a holy grail product for me. Be sure to click my full review for the details. If you crave volume from your mascara, this one is definitely worth considering.

4. Hard Candy Glamoflauge Heavy Duty Concealer in Medium (full review here). While this doesn't work well for under my eyes (it's a bit too heavy for that region on me) I simply love it for the rest of my face. It does a fantastic job covering all of my flaws (even birthmarks I'm not too keen about) and it lasts all day on my oily skin. I have even used it as foundation in a pinch! I find I can do this if I use extra moisturizer beforehand, blend like crazy and set it with some powder. One tube will last you forever because you only need the tiniest bit for a large surface area. Great stuff.

5. CoverGirl Lip Perfection Lipstick in Rush (full review here). At last, a nude that's not too nude. I just can't pull off the concealer-as-lip-color look, and now I don't have to! The formula and pigmentation of the Lip Perfection lipsticks are ah-maze-ing. They're moisturizing it's hard to believe I'm wearing lipstick. Click my review for swatches!

6. Maybelline SuperStay Concealer in Light (full review here). I am a broken record about this under-eye concealer because it's just the best that I've found at the drugstore level for helping to conceal under-eye darkness. This is a true holy grail product for me and it has been for over a year now. I don't wear anything else underneath my eyes. But I do want to tell you that there's a bit of a learning curve with this product if you've never tried it. I find it works best if you don't allow your moisturizer or eye cream to set first. Try applying it immediately after you've applied your eye cream and blend quickly. When I do this, I find this concealer never settles into my fine lines and it literally lasts all day without looking cakey. I ADORE this product. And it's one of the only peach-based concealers I have ever found at the drugstore (most are yellow or pink-based).

7. Physicians Formula Healthy Wear Powder Foundation SPF50 in Translucent Medium (full review here). In case you're not aware (insert sarcasm here), this is my holy grail foundation. I love others, don't get me wrong, but I always go back to this little orange compact. I've been using this product consistently since 2009 and, for my oily skin, I just have not found a better powder foundation (and yes, I've tried MAC Studio Fix, etc. etc.). It conceals, it doesn't make my face look cakey, it evens out my skintone, it's got great SPF and I can use either Translucent Light (when I'm more pale) or Translucent Medium (when I want a bit more color). Both work well for my NC20 skintone. If you suffer from oily skin and you enjoy medium-to-full coverage, I say give this one a shot! Also, I always use the accompanying sponge applicator, which I think works best for this product.

8. Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Blush in Pink Glow. This is one of those hidden gems that I picked up for under $3 during the CVS beauty clearance sale based on recs from YOU. And boy, I can never repay you gals for recommending this one to me. This is hands-down, my holy grail drugstore matte blush.  In fact, I love ALL of the various shades of this blush, but right now Pink Glow is giving me a very soft and pretty peachy-pink look and I'm loving it. This blush is perfection if you love matte powder blushes. It's finely milled, goes on like a dream and blends so easily you'll be shocked. Oh! And for those of you scared that this might have been discontinued, I spoke directly to Physicians Formula the other day and they told me that this line is NOT being discontinued (and neither is the Healthy Wear powder foundation). Yay!!

9. Wet n Wild Coloricon Eyeshadow Palette in Comfort Zone (full review here). Do I really need to get into why I love this palette? The versatile colors, the pigmentation, the creamy-dreamy consistency, the staying power, the blendability...this palette's got it all. And of course it's just $4.99 at Walgreen and Walmart. Perfection!

10. Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Eyeliner in Taupe (full review here). If you read my full review, you know that I am going crazy for these new automatic liners. And Taupe is just the most perfect daytime liner I have come across in quite some time. It applies like silk, it lasts all day (even on my lower lash line) and it works with every shade in the Comfort Zone palette for a quick daytime look. It's my go-to pencil of late and I cannot get enough. I wish PF would sell this shade individually!

So there you have it: the ten beauty products I'm absolutely loving right now. Do you own any of these goodies? Do they work well for you? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

31 comments

  1. What a great list! I have been wanting to try that PF SPF 50 powder...now I am totally going to get it!!! I agree that the Maybelline brow pencil is amazing!!! Love it! I think I might have to try that Maybelline concealer too! Thanks for the list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the PF mascara recently after seeing it on your blog, it's got the coolest packaging ever! Can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the EOS Balm in Lemon Drop..you can use this in both your lips and guess where else?...your elbows! it works wonders!. The Maybelline Difine-a-Brow is my holy grail as well for the same reason as you. The Hard Candy Glamoflauge..wow, this one is my favorite of concealers, I use it with either a water based foundation or a tinted moisturizer that is a bit too dark for me and it gives it a more full coverage look but not the feel of one. I also have the Wet n Wild 8 pan palette in Comfort Zone...what can I say...I love love luv all the colors in it =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I know the PF foundation is your favorite, and I was wondering if you had any suggestions for PF foundations for darker skin? I'm NC35 in the winter and the PF foundation you use doesn't go that dark :(
    I can imagine myself using the PF Healthy Wear bronzer as a foundation haha!!
    Oh well.
    On Sunday I'll hit up Rite Aid for their 40% off Covergirl and try some of their foundations <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Hard Candy concealer! It covers EVERYTHING. I use a super thin layer under my eyes and brows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the EOS balms in Summer Fruit AND the Honeydew Honeysuckle. <3 them both. My sister just got her first one b/c I rave about it so much. I might have to get Tangerene too. I have 2 diff shades of the Maybelline Define-A-Brow and <3 them, though I'm wanting to try the WNW brow products. I want to get Comfort Zone, but haven't seen it, so I have a few of the trio's and <3 them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this G, I love posts like this! I've tried so many things on this list thanks to you and I love them all. My favorite favorite thing I have tried is the Maybelline SuperStay Concealer. It does an awesome job of lasting all day on me. The only thing is that with my skin tone I think I need a little more (or different) color correction to hide my darkness, but this really is the best concealer I have ever tried.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great reviews! I love PF so much to and always love all your reviews =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sent a second e-mail about winning your giveaway. I sent the first yesterday but apparently you didn't receive it. I have been having trouble with e-mails getting where they are supposed to go, lately.

    If you don't receive this e-mail, please let me know. I really am responding, here! lol

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have quite a few favorites! I didn't find the CG Lip Perfections moisturizing, but they're still a good lipstick. The Maybelline Concealer is AWESOME and the Define-a-Brow pencil is my one and only brow love, lol. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I picked up the Comfort Zone and Petal Pusher palettes(I originally passed on Blue Had Me At Hello... but after seeing the swatches, I might have to get it to round out the collection!) I absolutely love Comfort Zone. I am interested to try the Hard Candy concealer and the Physicians foundation... and I've only heard good things about EOS lip balms, so I'd be interested to try that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is a new under eye concealer by hard candy, has anyone tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I might just have to pick myself up that same concealer too~ Oh~ the other day I saw the PF mascara...I should've gotten it! Ah. Oh well~ next time. Great products though. :]

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great list you got there! I love the EOS lip balms, they're just so moisturizing! I absolutely LOVE the PF mascara! I just did a recent review on it too! Lastly, the PF eyeliner, amazing! LOVE LOVE LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I'm going to check out the PF blushes. I love their mineral foundation. It doesn't get shiny on me like BE does.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Physician's Formula stuff!! :)
    I've never tried EOS lipbalms...maybe the tangerine one would be next on my list? :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm always on the hunt for the "perfect" mascara. I've seen this PF mascara in drug stores and never in a million years would have even considered trying it because of the gimmicky packaging. But after reading your review I might just have to give it a try. I do love their blushes and bronzers that also work double duty as eyeshadow. They're great multi-taskers that save time and moolah! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't say I'm surprised by any of these faves since you mention them quite often! I think the only thing that doesn't change with my makeup at all is what I use for my brows; face makeup changes less often and eyes and lips change sometimes more than once a day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two thoughts occur to me here:

    1) Good LORD we love us some long product names! (PF, I'm lookin' at YOU!)

    and...

    2) I've added at least 2 products to my MUST HAVE list, thanks to you! (If/when I try them, I'll definitely drop you a line.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want to try all of them, you're such a bad influence lol!! x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the SPF 50 foundation, but I wish it was paler, as I'm far lighter than NC20 :P It's a great foundation though.

    I so need to try that Maybelline SuperStay concealer.
    I'm on the hunt for my holy grail concealer right now, trying a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the review! I am going to try the brow pencil myself! I am always looking for the perfect pencil!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! Thank you ladies so much for all the wonderful comments. I had no idea this new feature would be so popular--I'm so glad you enjoyed it and I'll be sure to do more of these types of posts in the future! :)

    Ellie: What a great idea! You should try the Tangerine next since shea butter is so great for the skin! :)

    Gaby: I wish I had a better rec for you! My number one complaint about drugstore brands is that they tend to not offer many options for those with deeper skintones. Have you tried one of the lighter foundation shades from brands like Black Radiance or Black Opal? I hear they have some good foundation choices. :)

    Deborah: I just saw that yesterday! But no, I haven't tried it yet (but I hope to in the future!)

    MissPukka: You should definitely give them a try!

    Jean: Yep, the names are soo long! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I picked up Comfort Zone on eBay, as we don't have WnW in Australia (boo!), and I've had it for two weeks but still haven't used it! I swatched it and oohed and ahhhed a bit, but that's as far as I got. I think I might have to get it out tomorrow and have a proper play.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have that same Maybelline brow pencil and love it! Such a great dupe for MAC and it lasts all day. And you can't go wrong with Comfort Zone!<3

    ReplyDelete
  27. So your blog is called NouveauCheap...but you keep making me want to buy all this great stuff you keep posting! I think I'm spending more money!! LOL!

    Thanks for all you share!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been looking for great natural product reviews for awhile and this is just FANTASTIC! I'm a big fan of Physican's Formula as well and I LOVE their powders and blushes. Do you have any recommendations on natural moisturizers?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm trying the Define a Brow because of you G! I need a pencil that lasts. I've been using Tarte's Amazonian clay mousse which is like a cream liner for brows, but not sure I can still get it on QVC and haven't seen in stores, plus, this looks so much quicker and easier to use. Thanks for mentioning it!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig