Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, March 27, 2011

Review: NYX Tinted Lip Spa in Vintage

There's a beauty supply store here in San Diego that carries a boatload of NYX products, and for a great price. They have NYX nail polishes for $0.99 each and lots of cosmetics too. So if you're in San Diego, definitely check out OK Beauty Supply in Rolando (near SDSU). It's awesome (they also have the biggest selection of Jordana polishes I've ever seen, as well as lots of Sinful Colors polishes and makeup). 

So when I was at this beauty supply a while ago, I spotted the NYX Tinted Lip Spas for $3.99 each (they're $5.99 on the NYX website). I couldn't resist getting one since I'm a huge fan of tinted balms, and I've been curious about this collection for a while now.

 NYX Tinted Lip Spa in Vintage
(retail: $5.99 on the NYX website, 0.17oz)

Right off the bat, I love the look of this tinted lip balm. I adore the see-through window on the top of the lid and the low-key black packaging.


Here's the description from the NYX site:

Tinted Lip Spa is specially formulated with Vitamin E and extra moisturizing properties to nourish and condition lips while adding color. 

I have to agree with this description 100%. When NYX says "condition lips while adding color" they are NOT lying. These puppies are pigmented!




The above swatches were taken after just ONE swipe on my skin. In fact, the color shows up even MORE vividly on my lips! I am seriously impressed by the high pigmentation of this tinted balm. Vintage might very well be the most pigmented lip balm I've ever owned.

Granted, when I say "highly pigmented lip balm", I still mean that this product is sheer, so don't expect the pigmentation of a lipstick. The finish has a sheen to it (too subtle to be called a shimmer) and it's actually barely perceptible on my lips. It comes across as more of a sheer matte, actually.

The color Vintage is NOT as pink as it appears in these pics. I would say it's a true peachy-orange-coral shade, which is great if you're like me and constantly on the hunt for peaches that don't have much pink in them.

As for the fragrance, it's minty, and the flavor is minty as well. BUT, it's not all mint--there's something else going on as well. This is going to sound really weird, but the taste I get on my tongue after I lick my lips almost reminds of the flavor of licking a stamp, but with a little mint thrown in. I know, that's an odd comparison, but I can't think of another way to describe it. It's not off-putting to me, but it's also not something I love. I'm pretty neutral to it.

The texture of the NYX Tinted Lip Spa is creamy, creamy, and then more creamy. My goodness, I love how this feels during application, and I love how smooth and silky it feels when I press my lips together. I do want to note though, that due to the creaminess of this product, the staying power isn't incredible (especially for me, since I'm a chronic gloss-eater). I can get about two hours of wear before I need to reapply.

FINAL VERDICT: Off-beat flavor and fragrance aside, I LOVE this NYX Tinted Lip Spa because the pigmentation is absolutely amazing on my lips. One swipe and I'm good to go, which makes this THE perfect tinted lip balm to keep in my purse for quick, mirror-free application. I adore the creamy texture of this balm, and I don't mind having to reapply it every few hours. Vintage is a lovely peachy-coral with very little pink to it, so warmer-toned gals might find a new favorite in this one.
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. Is there a nationwide chain store that sells NYX? I can't find it anywehere. These are really pretty colors btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish that there was a store that sold NYX in my area! Woe is me! This balm looks amazing...odd taste or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are these better than the Palladio tinted lip balms? I have several shades of them and love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The swatch looks amazing, but I don't know if I could handle the mint/postage stamp scent/flavor :P Their lipglosses are great, but the cherry scent is just too much for me.

    @AKB, Ulta carries NYX.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Ulta doesn't carry this products unfortunately -_- but if I ever order from Cherry Culture I am definitely trying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I also live in San Diego and wanted to see if you knew ofany places that carry NYX besides Ulta... Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicole: I mentioned the place where I got this at the very beginning of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. duh so sorry I missed that will def have to check it out thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The scent sounds terrible, but the color is gorgeous! Thanks for the review G!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig