Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Review: New NYX Haute Model Palette from the Runway Collection

This is the first of a two-part review of some brand new shades from NYX. If you're not familiar with the Runway Collection 10 Color Eyeshadow Palettes, click here to see all of them. I received Haute Model and Velvet Rope for review, and today I'm going to show you Haute Model:

NYX Haute Model Palette
(retail: $9.75)



My camera washed out the pink shade in the above pics, so please note that it's a nice cotton-candy pink in real life. As for the other colors, they're all gorgeous jewel-toned shades that are much deeper and richer in real life. As you can see, some of them have more shimmer than others, and some contain colored sparkle, while others contain silver sparkle. Some of these shades are more intense than others, and some are a bit softer, while others are more firm in texture. In other words, you get an assortment of different textures, colors and pigmentations in this palette, that's for sure!

I swatched each shade on its own, and then over primer in the above swatches. If you look closely, you can see that some of the shades really benefit from a primer, while others look almost identical with primer and without (you can really see that in the aqua blue shade).

I recently purchased a new lamp that seems to give a much truer light to my photos (as well as expose every little flaw on my face!), so I took some photos of a look I did using four of the shades in the Haute Model palette:






I included these last two pics because 1) I happened to be wearing the NYX Sheer Gloss in Luscious that I recently reviewed for weheartthis (love this shade!) and also because I think the color combo on my eyes worked really well with my hair color. It's been raining nonstop for three days now in Southern California so my hair is all frizzed out, but you get the idea.

For the above eye look, I used the bronzey-brown shade on my lids, both of the greens in my crease, and the pink on my brow bone. I LOVE this look, and I cannot wait to wear it the next time I have something special planned in the evening. Oh! I almost forgot: the deep, dark emerald green (first row, second-to-last color) is SUPER pigmented. I used it in my crease, and I also used it wet to line my eyes in the above pics and MAMA MIA! The color pay-off is insane with this color. Seriously, a little dab'll do ya!

Final verdict: I think this is a fun palette that offers a variety of different shades, textures and pigmentations all under one "roof". For under $10, I think it's a steal, especially if you tend to gravitate toward jewel-toned shades. I did experience some fallout with the more sparkly shades, so I do want you to be aware of that. But other than that, I think the color payoff, blendability, staying power and vibrancy would make this a worthy palette in your stash if you are drawn to the colors. PS: If you've got hazel eyes like mine, then I think you might really love this one.

Please check back soon for my review of Velvet Rope!

In the meantime, do you own anything from the Runway Collection? Are you thinking about getting anything? I'd love to hear from you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

21 comments

  1. Mama mia indeed! I love the smokey look you've done, it looks fabulous on you. And I think this is the first time I've seen your entire face (well, ALMOST your entire face) and I'm oddly excited about that! Haha! You're so pretty!

    I have 4 of the 10 pan palettes, and I love them all. I just recently started building my NYX collection and I'm always wanting more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful, and I absolutely love those colors on you. You are right, they look gorgeous with your hair. Very sultry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 2 of the palettes...Champagne & Caviar-LOVE it and Bohemian that I won on Facebook-love it too! BTW, You're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quick question.....It looks really pigmented on you but I was wondering if you think this palette is pigmented enough for darker skin people like the singer Ciara.

    Just asking b/c this is the palette that I've been wanting for the past two weeks.

    I really think this palette looks good on you...smokey eyes suit you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these colors on you :) Gorgeous!

    I have Jazz Night and I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's almost an entire pic of G--- early Xmas! You're so pretty! The smoky eye you did looks great,too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I got to see half your face! You don't match the G I had in my mind, you are better!

    I want to try out these shadows, can't wait to see the next swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yaaay! I just got 5 of these palettes in the mail as well My favourite so far is the velvet rope! i love purple! these are so pretty and so pigmented!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we all had the same thought! I agree with femputer about how oddly excited I am to see your face for the first time! So pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that smokey look really brought out the green in your eyes! Lovely! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting to see more of your lovely face!!! You look totally H-O-T with this eye look! =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, you guys are making me BLUSH! Thank you so very much for the sweet words! I hate hate hate showing too much of my face because I always think I look *horrid* but I really liked how this looked against my hair color so...there you go. :)

    femputer: Oh, girlie, are you TOO kind! Thank you so much for that. xo And I'm so glad you like these palettes too. yay!

    ShakeupYourMakeup: Awww, thank you so much!! I think this palette would ah-maaaaze-ing on you!

    JP: Oooh, I've been eyeing those to palettes too! Ha! And THANK YOU so much for that. You have no idea how much that means to me. xo

    Vanessa: Yes, I definitely think this palette would work for your complexion, BUT, you'd probably have a more consistent performance if you used a primer first. So if you have a good primer that you love (I'm currently loving the Jesse's Girl primer, which is what I used in these photos) then by all means, I think you enjoy this palette. I think that dark green I used on my crease and to line my eyes would look amazing on you. Hope that helps! :)

    BJU: LOVE YOU, girl! ;)

    Lacey: Thanks so much, love! And yay! I'm so glad you like these palettes too. :)

    dangerkitty: LOL!! You are crackin' me up! Luv ya, sweetie. xo

    jb: OMG, what an incredibly sweet thing to say! What, are you tryin' to make me cry over here? Love ya, girl! xoxo

    Bold: OMG, you go, girl! How fun that you have five of these! You will never run out of looks and combos to try! :)

    virginaisforluvrs: OMG, you are just too sweet, girlie. Thank you SO much for that. You really made my day. xo

    Giselle: Oh girl, if you have green in your eyes, I think you need this one. LOL! Thank you so much for that. xo

    Carolanne: You are too kind!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you for that. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Arrghhh... I want this even though it looks like I own most of those shades. D=

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOMANNNN, your eyes are SEXAY! They always look great, but I love the change of pace on you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE how that look turned out on you! Sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lace Escapades: You know, I thought I owned just about every color in this palette too, but actually they're all pretty unique in terms of shades I have in my stash. So you never know...it could surprise you! ;)

    JenJen: You are too sweet!! Thank you SO much for that, honey. xo

    Phyrra: Thank you SO much, love! I was hoping you'd be proud of me for using FOUR colors for one eye look! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha! I too wanted to see your face! You are so pretty! dont hesitate to post! Anyway these colors are great and I think it would be wonderful on a blue eyed girl too! :) I just wish they were carried around here! Will have to check out CVS in Albany, NY when Im there! Cant wait to see Velvet Rope!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh you look so gorgeous! I was excited to see more of your face finally! I love how put together your makeup looks. Mine never looks like that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey G., do you ever get up to L.A.? I was strolling around Little Tokyo with a friend today and noticed that in a bunch of the shops there, they're selling NYX stuff. One of the shops has a huuuuuge display of it, almost one entire wall of the shop was all NYX stuff. they also had L.A. colors and some other inexpensive brands that you don't really see at the drugstore. and they had lots of 99 cent lipsticks in really cute packages. I was in a hurry so I didn't buy anything (I can't make makeup purchases in a rush) but I would have loved to have spent a lot more time poring over the stuff. anyway, just thought you might be interested since you're sort of the in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this look! You look amazing in smokey eyes!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig