Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, December 5, 2010

Review: New Finesse ReVitality Volume & Correct Shampoo and Conditioner

Finesse is one of those drugstore haircare brands that's been around forever and has always kept a very loyal following. I remember using Finesse when I was a kid, when the commercials looked like this:


"Sometimes you need a little Finesse, sometimes you need a lot!"

Please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers that song! Anyway, I've been using Finesse off and on since the 80s and, to be honest with you, their products have always given me great results. In my opinion, Finesse is probably one of the most underrated drugstore haircare lines out there these days, and I think it says something about the products that they've managed to stay on store shelves all these decades.

I was extremely excited to be given the opportunity to try some brand new Finesse products recently, and I'd like to give you my take on them. Could they possibly live up to their core line of products? Read on to see!

Finesse ReVitality Volume & Correct Shampoo and Conditioner
(retail: around $4, 10 oz)

Right off the bat, I noticed that the bottle design is dramatically different than the traditional Finesse products. These bottles have a unique shape to them, with an interesting little flip-top lid. You actually have to press the little square button on the front of the bottle in order for the lid to release. I'm a sucker for interesting packaging so I have to admit I got a kick out of this.

But let's move on to the important stuff. What does this new line promise?


 Since I could really use some plumping, repairing and restoring, I was very excited to give these products a whirl. For the record, I have fine hair but lots of it. My roots are oily while my ends are very dry. My hair is also color-treated, the texture is wavy and the length is a little past my shoulders (I recently chopped four inches off my hair! Well, I didn't chop it of course, but anyway...).

So I put Finesse ReVitality Volume & Correct to the test for two weeks straight.


The first time I used these products, the thing I immediately noticed was that they do not have the signature Finesse fragrance that I love so much. But actually, even though I love that signature scent, I really love the fragrance of both this shampoo and conditioner. To my nose, the shampoo has a delicious milky-peach fragrance to it, while the conditioner has almost a peach candy type scent to it.

Since both of these products promise volume, I was a bit scared that they'd dry out my hair. If you've used volumizing shampoos and conditioners in the past, then you know they generally have a tendency to dry out the hair because moisture often equals heaviness. Since the goal of a volumizing product is to pump it full of volume, it's hard to simultaneously give it moisture since moisture will ultimately tame, or maybe even flatten, the hair.
I am very pleased to report that these products actually lived up to their claims for me.The shampoo provided great lather and rinsed easily, leaving behind a protective (but not heavy) coating.  The conditioner actually conditioned my hair (I can't tell you how many times I've used volumizing conditioners that have left my hair tangled and feeling like hay).  This conditioner detangles my hair quite easily and leaves it smooth and silky.

My only complaint about these products after using them for two weeks is this: usually when I air-dry my hair, I scrunch it a few times and let my natural curls dry on their own.  I've noticed that when I use these products, my curls don't have their usual springiness. They're not super flat and lifeless, but they just don't have their regular bounce. 

BUT, if I'm blow-drying my hair for a straighter look, I find that THIS is when Finesse ReVitality really shines. This is one of the only shampoo and conditioner duos that actually enables me to flip my head upside-down, blow dry it and flip my head right-side-up with FANTASTIC results. Usually when I use this method, I'm scared when I flip my head back up.  My hair usually looks frizzy and I need to bust out the paddle brush and start straightening it with my hair dryer. 

But when I use Finesse ReVitality Volume & Correct Shampoo and Conditioner, I find that I'm able to quickly blow my hair dry and it's soft, bouncy and full of life with little-to-no additional styling needed! This makes these products worth their weight in gold for me.

If you have hair that's similar to mine or you have similar requirements for your shampoos and conditioners, I say give these products a shot. For volumizing products, I find they are far more moisturizing than others I have tried, and if you've got wavy or curly hair that you regularly straighten, I think you might be very pleased with the results.

Are you a Finesse fan? Have you tried any of their new products yet? I'd love to hear from you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. You know my hair is super fine too and I don't have a lot of it like you do :) But I found after I tried almost all the products from the new Finesse--it didn't matter which ones I used... they all made my hair feel a little heavy. Even the volumizing, I felt like my roots got oily faster! I could have been imagining it honestly, but I was kinda bummed. And then there's always the fact that I just have some busted hair. LOL

    I've only found a handful of great volumizers that work for me, but the saddest part is that about 80% of them are the pricey and salon-only kind :( Why was I cursed?

    And you KNOW I remember that commercial like it was last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber: OK first of all, I cannot express to you how happy I am that you remember that commercial. Yay!! :)

    I am so sorry that this left you with the greasies. I have only tried the products in this review, but for my oily roots, I didn't find any increase in oil. But granted, I do tend to wash my hair every single day (my next-day hair just *never* looks good unless I use some dry shampoo and wear it up in a ponytail!). But thank you so much for the great feedback. I'm sure that will help some readers who are considering a purchase. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember finesse; I used it a lot in middle school! THat commercial is so cute! In musician terms it ends in a "V I", meaning it ends in the fifth chord of the scale resolved to the one. It's a common, but very good end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog and so appreciate all the work you do to find and share the best deals and products with us! Glad you like the Finesse, but Ammounium Lauryl Sulfate will strip the color right out of your hair. It's a detergent found in most shampoos but it's too harsh for color-treated hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Susan Actually it's Sodium Lauryl Sulfate that strips color; Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate is gentle and won't do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought these looked like one of the Herbal Essences shampoos in the thumbnail, haha

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig