Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, October 29, 2010

Patchwork manicure?

A lovely reader who goes by "J" sent me a link last week to a manicure that I haven't been able to get out of my head. Have you heard of a "patchwork" manicure before? Check this out. Now, the blogger who did this mani didn't really explain how to do it, but my reader "J" said it can be done with simple scotch tape, and you just tape off the colors in stages and keep layering as you go. Easy enough, right?

Well the other night I decided to give it a shot with three random colors that I had lying around. For this mani I used Revlon Rock, Maybelline Grey-T Glamour, and Maybelline Grand in Green.

This was my first time ever doing anything like this, so I wasn't really going for perfection--just enough to see how the overall look appeared on my nails. I'm not big on the color combo, but again, this was just an experiment. Also, when I painted my second nail, I realized that I did it in the wrong order (I was trying to get all the nails to look the same) so then I just decided to go big and make EVERY nail look different.




Ha! Sorry for all the "clearance" stickers on my bottles of polish, but you know I get my polishes on clearance whenever possible!

So anyway, if you look closely you'll see a lot of mistakes, and the purple color bubbled up in certain spots, but I think I kind of dig the overall look of this manicure. With the right color combo, I think it could look quite stunning!

If anyone reading this knows of the origin of this manicure, please leave a comment and let me know. I'd love to know who created it, and see more pics if anyone knows of some other blogs? I love giving credit where credit is due, but when I google "patchwork manicure" nothing seems to come up. Maybe this manicure goes by another name as well?


Have you tried a manicure like this? If so, do you have any tips for flawless application?
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. That is soooo cute! I really want to try it, but I'm horrible at detail work and not that great at painting my nails in general. -_- Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THIS I love!!! What a fun manicure! Can't wait to try this out!! =] And I think you did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, I love this design on you! I've had success with using the 'Delicate' blue Scotch painting tape (with the orange colored core). I find that it makes crisper lines than the regular masking tape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this design and the color choice is awesome. :)

    No apology needed for the clearance stickers. A good polish addict for sniffing out a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi, thank you for saying that. I was thinking of stealing my husband's blue tape to use for manicures, but wasn't sure if it would work. Now I know. My husband doesn't thank you tho... lol

    G, I actually like the color combination. Maybe you would like it better if you had a light or bright to make it pop? You could try a striper in maybe red to follow along the lines. Like your patchwork has piping!

    I'm also glad you made your mistake, I think this manicure is more interesting and artistic than if it was all matchy matchy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. G, this is who I have seen do this the most, and she has a tut as well...
    http://chloesnails.blogspot.com/

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so freaking cute! I'm def gonna try that after I take my current nail polish off. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow such a nice pattern. It's original in some way. nice color combination
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's super cute! Would you please do a tutorial on it? I think a lot of people would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you did a good job, it looks very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. G, okay so I just saw the link you posted about the previous mani on The Face Doodler, and I'm freaked out, lol. It's crazy, I had no idea about her design and that she too called it the Patchwork design, but it does look as though she came up with it first, the only dif is that I mix my colors. So I wanted to clear the air. I had just never looked on blogs till a few months ago, and only was on MUA, so I had never seen the design before. But I def don't want to take credit for it.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig