Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, September 13, 2010

Review: Korres Raspberry Liquid Lipsticks

Confession: sometimes I receive PR pitches for higher-end products and, even though I would LOVE to try these products, I always politely decline.  I abide by my rule to not review beauty products that retail for over $20, but I have to be honest with you. I could not resist the powers of this new liquid lipstick from Korres.

Many of you know that I'm a sucker for a good liquid lipstick. I love the opacity and shine of liquid lipsticks, and I'm afraid that when I received the offer to review these new Korres Raspberry Liquid Lipsticks recently, I caved. Big time. Liquid lipsticks are like my Kryptonite. I think it all goes back to my obsession with the L'Oreal Rouge Pulps of the 90s (two of which, I have featured in my From the Vintage Vault series). What's there not to love about liquid lipsticks? They feel like a gloss, but are pigmented like a good matte lipstick. So it's like wearing a matte lipstick that has shine and feels much lighter on the lips. Perfection in a tube!

So that's why I'm reviewing these products today. Yes, they retail for $22, which is a bit more than the average Nouveau Cheap reader would like to spend on a lip product, but hopefully I can help you determine if you might think they're worth the splurge.

Korres Raspberry Liquid Lipsticks in Red and Fuchsia (retail: $22 each)


Let me give you a quick run-down about the formula and ingredients. Korres Raspberry Liquid Lipsticks are free of parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, phthalates, GMOs and triclosan.  They are water-based, and contain ingredients such as raspberry and pomegranate extracts, as well as certified organic acai palm pulp oil. If you're familiar with Korres products, then the natural ingredients in this formula should come as absolutely no surprise to you. Korres is known for its use of natural ingredients in creating beauty products, and I'm a huge fan of their body products such as their body butter and body wash.

The first things I noticed about these liquid lipsticks were their scent and flavor (both of which are very mild). To me, they sort of smell and taste like fresh marshmallows (not toasted, but the fresh-out-of-the-bag variety). So that's a definite plus (for me). And as you can see in the above swatches, Korres didn't hold back on pigment. These shades are bright and totally opaque! In fact, I think Fuchsia may be a bit too bright on me for daytime use. Both Red and Fuchsia seem more like night-on-the-town shades to me, actually.

In preparation for this review, I did some research and discovered that some people felt like these liquid lipsticks do not have the long-lasting quality that is stated in the description. Well, I'll be honest. They don't behave like a long-wear drugstore lip color (Cover Girl Outlast, etc.) but I'm happy about that because those types of products tend to dry out my lips a bit.  I'm able to get about three hours of wear from these liquid lipsticks, which is about par for the course with other liquid lipsticks I've owned in the past.

Regarding the texture, these liquid lipsticks are creamy, yet thin. I love how they feel when I first apply them to my lips (since they're water-based, they kind of have a cooling sensation) and they glide across my lips very smoothly (sort of like a thin gloss). But that's the only thing these babies have in common with glosses, because like I mentioned earlier, the pigmentation and opacity are NOTHING like a gloss. These liquid lipsticks are jam-packed full of color. Also, unlike a lot of glosses, the formula is not sticky at all (which I think has to do with the fact that they're water-based). So in that respect, they're more like a lipstick than a gloss.

All in all, if you were a fan of L'Oreal Rouge Pulps back in the day, I think you will probably enjoy Korres Liquid Lipsticks. Would I say they're worth the $22 price tag? Well, I can't really answer that for you. If you absolutely adore the qualities of a liquid lipstick, and you're not concerned with long-wearing capabilities, then they just might be worth it. If you want the full opacity of a matte lipstick, but the lightness and shine of a gloss, these new lipcolors from Korres might do the trick.

Do you already own a Korres Rapsberry Liquid Lipstick? Are you thinking about picking one up? I'd love to hear from you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. you had me at "korres". i love all their products, especially the fig shower gel.
    i am a burt's bees shimmers gal. here's my issue with liquid gloss:
    i have longish hair and i drive with my windows down. every time i wear gloss, my hair ends up sticking to my lips. anyone else have this problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those colors are beautiful! I've never purchased Korres full price, EVER...for a minute there, you could find alot of it at Marshalls and TJ MAXX.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Korres website also has great coupons all the time for 20%/30% off. I'm betting they'll put these in some of those really awesome sets after awhile, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too, Danielle. I avoid the super sticky glosses. If you have a Dollar Tree nearby, see if they have any of the Sally Hansen Line Smoothing Mineral Lip Treatment glosses. Great colors, smooth and moisturizing, not the longest wear, but they have a minty smell/taste I love, so I don't mind reapplying, and they aren't sticky. My hair doesn't get stuck to my lips when I'm driving with the windows down with these. On the other hand, the SH Lacquer Shines and Diamond Shines are super sticky, avoid those ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. G, don't always turn down the chance to review high end stuff. I don't mind paying extra for something that actually works. That's a bargain too sometimes, when you can't find a drugstore product that does the job right, it's better to pay the higher price for a product that does what you need/want it to, no? At least until the drugstore brands start making dupes and copying! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to try these and also the Stila liquid lipsticks. Both are a little pricey for me but I can't resist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you reviewed this! I just got the Korres lip butter today and I hope I like it as much as you like these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. danielle: See, but this is NOT a GLOSS. This is a liquid lipstick, and it's also water-based, unlike glosses, which are usually petroleum-based and that's what causes the hair to stick to your lips (I have long hair as well, so this happens to me ALL the time with glosses). This product is more like a balm or lipstick, and my hair doesn't stick to my lips at all when I use it. Hope that helps!

    Jamie: Oh don't you love it when Korres shows up at Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx? Maybe someday these will end up there! :)

    clementine: You are just full of awesome information! :D Thank you SO much for that, honey! xoxo

    Donna: Thanks for the "green light" on reviewing higher end products. I agree that they can be worth the investment, but I really prefer sticking to my "nothing over $20 rule" for the most part. So higher-end reviews will continue to be few and far between. :)

    Melissa: Oooh, I somehow managed to avoid knowing about the Stila liquid lipsticks until I read your comment. Darn you! Hahah! ;)

    PCS: Thanks honey! Let me know what you think of the butter--I've always wanted to try one but for some reason I have yet to pick one up. I've heard awesome things about those though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. G, I agree with Donna! For example some products are expensive, but you get more uses out of them than you would with a drugstore equivalent, so the more "expensive" product isn't that expensive! Plus I love Korres!! <3

    I want to get 1-2 of these lipsticks! I own 1 Mango Butter Lipstick and 1 Cherry Lipgloss and I love them both, so I'm pretty sure I'll like these as well ! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig