Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, July 31, 2010

Is Coinstar entering the beauty biz??

If you're reading this blog, there's a very good chance that you already know what a Coinstar machine is, and if you don't, allow me to enlighten you!

Coinstar machines are the big green "slot machines" usually located at the front of your local grocery store. Coinstar machines convert your change (pennies, nickles, dimes, etc.) to paper cash. You just pour your loose change into the big green machine and voilĂ ! In a few seconds (depending on how much change you dump in) you'll get a paper receipt that you can redeem at your grocery store for paper money, or to use toward your groceries. Either way, Coinstar can be very helpful if you've got a large amount of change you want to convert into paper money quickly (although there is a small service fee but, hey, you're paying for convenience). I've helped friends bring old coffee cans full of pennies to the Coinstar machine in the past, and it's always fun to try and predict how much paper money they'll get in return (I'm always way off in my estimation).

Speaking of estimating, while researching this post, I discovered that there is a nifty little change converter on the Coinstar site. You can enter in how much change you have (a gallon, 12 oz, etc.) and it will tell you, roughly speaking, how much paper cash you'll receive. Who knew that a gallon full of coins is worth around $228?

As many of you probably know, Coinstar also owns the extremely popular Redbox DVD rental machines, which seem to be popping up just about everywhere these days. So when I saw this article this morning, it immediately grabbed my attention:


NEW YORK (Jul. 30) Coinstar, which offers new release DVD rentals through its self-service Redbox kiosks, might be trying to do something similar with cosmetics, according to a Dow Jones Newswires report.

While Coinstar would not comment on its potential plans, Dow Jones Newswires reports that it is looking to hire a VP-level manager to oversee a new venture in cosmetics or beauty market. The job opening, posted on the Internet, indicates that Coinstar is looking to create partnerships in the beauty industry and develop vending machines.

In a statement emailed to Dow Jones Newswires, Coinstar stated: "We are continually looking at new opportunities in the self-service, automated retail space and plan to have a number of seed businesses that we're testing and evaluating at any given time. It would be premature to provide comment on any of these early concepts."

Redbox has rented more than 750 million DVDs and is available at approximately 22,000 locations nationwide, including select McDonald's restaurants, leading grocery and convenience stores, and Walmart and Walgreens locations in select markets.

OK lovelies: IF THIS HAPPENS, would any of you like to try and predict what types of beauty products will be in these vending machines? I'm guessing, given the availability and accessibility of Coinstar and Red Box machines, we won't see Sephora-level products. I'm predicting it will be drugstore-oriented beauty products.

What would you LIKE to see in a potential beauty vending machine that might be right next to your local Red Box or Coinstar machine? Or would you like to see a beauty vending machine at all? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. The problem with this would be that cosmetic products can't take temperature extremes, so the machines would have to be inside. Which would be sort of redundant, since Coinstar and Redbox machines are usually placed at grocery and drug stores, where cosmetics are already being sold. I'd totally check it out, sure, but I doubt I'd buy anything that I couldn't get a relatively close look at.

    LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog, by the way. I'm so glad I found it and I've been checking in every day since!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen electronic gadget vending machines (with ipods and the like) and I've seen pictures online of Sephora vending machines. Both of these were located inside of department stores or mall so there was no problem with temperature control.

    I'd love to see more beauty supply vending machines! It would be fun if I could quickly get a new lipstick while on my way somewhere. It would also be awesome if there were perfume vending machines where I could either get sample vials or travel sizes. :)

    Here is a picture of the Sephora vending machine on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelly4strength/4127971126/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would love to see beauty vending machines..

    it would be a quick way to grab my latest redbox selection and feed my never ending beauty cravings

    and to be able to grab a tube of mascara or eyeshadow on the fly would be fab

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've seen a few sephora vending machinese in europe and the US. i won't be surprised if more beauty centric vending machines pop up in the near future. I would love to see lipstick/gloss machines since they're small products that you can carry in your bag after your purchase.

    roxy
    http://roxybeautyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope. Simple reason: can't return something to a vending machine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen a vending machine for Proactiv, and I guess this isn't much different. The last thing I need, though, is another way to buy makeup...my mom might kill me. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark has a vending machine in the mall by my house. I could see this happening with another brand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i wonder if the machines would accept coupons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The company that does the Proactiv vending machines also does some electronics vending machines in Macy's. So I'm wondering if it would be a venture with someone like Sephora??
    It will be interesting to see what comes up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a BIG vending machine fan. There's this great thrift store in Chicago that had a vending machine for sale in it & if I had not been just visiting & had $2000 to spend on it, I would have bought it! So, I think beauty vending machines are awesome. I just love the novelty of it. Totally unique to me. I went looking for photos of the mark. vending machines and came across this blog:

    http://sporkbeauty.com/2008/12/vending-machine-beauty/

    So yes! I would totally be all about buying beauty products from a vending machine. Totally rad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hm. I would probably try buying something from a beauty vending machine, but the idea doesn't thrill me. I like to be able to see and hold cosmetics, especially nail polish, before I buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Honestly, they probably could refrigerate and heat them just a tiny bit so the makeup could be kept at a constant temperature. I wonder if they will be the tiny travel sizes or the full sizes... if they are outside of grocery stores and Walgreens places then why buy from a vending machine when you can just get them inside?


    If they put them places like airport terminals, movie theaters, convention centers and college campuses... sure. I can see someone needing emergency makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have seen a vending machine before at my local mall in the food court with Mark products. It was different palates or sets of eyeshadows, lip products, brushes, etc. It would be cool if they made it more widley avalible, and something on the chipper side of things. Mark products can get quite expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As much of a junkie as I am, yes. I would purchase makeup from a vending machine. Especially if they had harder to find items from drugstore displays where they only have three slots of a good color.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig