Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, May 17, 2010

Review: Cover Girl Simply Ageless Eye Concealer

There are so many concealers available at the drugstore these days that it's hard for me to try them all as they're released. Sometimes, my first chance to try something is long after it's considered new, which is the case with Cover Girl Simple Ageless Eye Concealer. I probably wouldn't have tried this product at all due to its hefty price tag (retail: $12.99 at CVS) but I had some coupons that I used during a sale so I ended up getting both the concealer and the blush from this line for a very good price (I'll be posting my blush review soon so please check back if you're interested).

Cover Girl Simply Ageless Eye Concealer in Light (retail: around $12.99)


As we all probably know by now, the Simply Ageless line (concealer, foundation and blush) all come in pots and the product is swirled together with a ribbon of Olay Advanced Regenerist Serum. This promises to help makeup "stay suspended over fine lines and wrinkles." That's a tall order, but if there's any product that most of us NEED to stay suspended over fine lines and wrinkles, it's GOTTA be eye concealer, right?

Whenever I'm using a pot concealer, I absolutely depend on a good concealer brush for application. My current favorite is the ecoTOOLS Bamboo Deluxe Concealer Brush, which is cheap (about $3.99 at Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc.), sturdy, super soft and big enough to apply a lot of concealer in a short amount of time (if you need precision, try using a clean gel liner brush if you don't have a small concealer brush in your collection!).

So for these before/during/after shots, I decided to do this test on a day where I wasn't feeling well and I had even extra darkness under my eyes (not to mention a desperate need for a brow waxing).

My bare skin, after cleansing and moisturizing:


After applying Simply Ageless Eye Concealer with my concealer brush:


After gently blending with my finger (any excess concealer I had left on my finger was applied gently to my eyelid to help even out the color in that area as well):


After foundation and powder application (I used Physician's Formula SPF50 Powder Foundation with a light dusting of Cover Girl Clean Oil Control power on top):


My under-eye darkness is not completely covered, but it's good enough to leave the house and not feel like everyone's staring at my circles!

What I think is MOST important to note here is that this product did what it said it would do. Honestly, when I applied my powder foundation on top of it, it was as if everything just glided over my skin. My powder didn't settle into my fine lines and it didn't exaggerate the look of the concealer. I really do think that this concealer helped immensely to create a barrier between my powder and my skin. It helps "fill" up lines, wrinkles and pores, keeping the rest of my makeup from exaggerating every little flaw on my skin.

It's funny because I had read several horrible reviews of this product before I actually tried it. I think that maybe the people who reviewed this (and hated it) might have young(er) skin. The reason I say this is because, if you do not have dry under-eye skin, fine lines, wrinkles or enlarged pores, this might do absolutely nothing but sit on your skin and make it feel heavy. In my opinion, this product works best if it's got something to seep INTO (wrinkles, pores, etc.). Does that make sense?

As for the concealing properties, this is not what's magical about this product. It definitely evened out my skintone, but as for really concealing my dark circles, it was just enough to get me through the day. The true benefit of Simply Ageless Eye Concealer is that wonderful primer-esque feeling and look it gives to the skin. It makes my foundation look SO much better that I've been actually using it all over my face, as sort of a pre-foundation step (which works quite well if you use powder foundation--I'm not so sure how it would work if you applied this all over your face before using a liquid foundation so experiment a bit if you're a liquid foundation gal).

I think I might have invented a new term! For me, this product works like a TINTED PRIMER. I don't know if I've seen anything else quite like it, but tinted primer works perfectly to describe it. It doesn't have the same coverage as a foundation and it doesn't completely eliminate dark circles, but it does even out my skintone and it preps my skin for my foundation beautifully!

You get a lot of product in this pot (especially if you use a brush to apply it), so you can definitely experiment without feeling like you're wasting product. My suggestion is that, if this doesn't work to conceal any darkness you may have, try using it in a different way before you jump ship. Try it as foundation or try it as a tinted moisturizer (or a tinted primer! hee hee) because you just never know--you might fall in love with it. I sure have.

Oh, and one more thing. Before you go running out to buy this, be warned that the color selection is less than stellar with just four shades to choose from. I am not 100% happy with "Light" for my skin, but I can make it work since my powder foundation is pretty pigmented. If you don't use a pigmented foundation and/or powder on top of this product, you're going to need to pay more attention to the color you select, so be warned that there aren't many choices. I think the lack of shades is really this product's only downfall.

Have you tried anything from Coverl Girl Simple Ageless collection? Please share your thoughts in the comments!
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I hate when the color selection is awful! A lot of companies have a tendency to release foundation and concealer colors that aren't even real skin colors! Otherwise, this concealer sounds great! Maybe after I finish up mine I'll give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, my "everyday" dark circles are worse than that! I love how you didn't have any product settling into your fine lines, but I definitely need more coverage!!

    I've tried Simply Ageless' foundation. It's not bad in the colder weather when my skin is dry, but it will definitely be too moisturizing during the hot weather. And one thing to note about the foundation is the shades run lighter than other CG foundations. I normally use Buff Beige and it was way too light. If you want to try this go a shade darker and keep your receipt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great review! I liked that you took consideration of other skin conditions. I guess this one would not be suitable for me since I'm more concerned with eye bags and dark circles rather than lines

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious how the corrector (yellow) one does for you! i got it for my mom and she says it's pretty decent. she uses it over the L'Oreal magic perfecting base (acronym for that needed asap) and both work well together.

    yay for "tinted primer"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dark circles are HORRIBLE. What drugstore concealer would you say is the best for under eye circles? I just can't find a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this! This is on my to-review list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow it contains a lot of product! MAC studio finish concealer is only 7grams, been using it for more than 6 mos and i only used 1/4 of the pot.. the concealer looks so cute! i can really see the difference, it covered your dark circles well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this, but it's the wrong color. I was confused about the color range, since there is a range of shades, and then something called 'corrector'. I ultimately ended up buying the wrong shade. It looks darker in the jar than it really is, and I have no idea what the corrector one is for! Isn't all concealer supposed to correct?

    ReplyDelete
  9. (Disclaimer: I was provided these products free of charge by BzzAgent; however, the opinions are all mine.)

    I'm in love with this collection, most especially the blush. For years now I have been a mineral makeup user, but have recently noticed the powder settling into areas unpleasantly. I don't have any wrinkles yet (thanks, good genes!) but I do suffer from dry, sensitive skin, and the mineral makeup was starting to highlight those dry areas.

    So as you can imagine, I was quite thrilled with this collection, as it really seems to glide over my skin. The foundation's coverage is adequate but somewhat sheer, exactly what I was looking for. I'm still experimenting with the concealer to find how it works best for me.

    But best of all? The blush. It looks significantly darker in the packaging, but don't let it deceive you. This blush truly goes on beautifully and naturally, without any settling or caking.

    Yes, it's a bit more expensive than typical drugstore makeup, but compared to the department store makeup I'd been using, I'm thrilled with this find.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd heard good feedback on the Simply Ageless concealer, and when I went to the store, I ended up walking away with the Corrector instead (not sure why, exactly lol ... seemed like what I wanted at the time).

    I am REALLY liking the Corrector, I have to say! It glides on like silk (somehow, this really surprised me), and it has a cooling sensation to it that feels refreshing (not sure if the concealers do the same). The corrector is supposed to be used as a precursor to their concealer, but I tried that with one of my own concealers, and it just felt like too much. I've no problem with just using the corrector on its own (fyi, I'm rather pale).

    It doesn't crease, it doesn't travel, it doesn't settle ... and I like it enough that I now want to try the foundation & blush (though I'm still considering those, since I'm addicted to PF's MW Powder Foundation)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I'll ever master the art of applying concealer on right lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, I'm so stupid. I totally wrote about a product that I apparently do NOT have lol.

    After having read this post, I went up to put on my face, and took a better look at my concealer/corrector. I do NOT, in fact, have the corrector, after all. Turns out I have the lightest of their concealers (Very Light?), and forgot how to read properly.

    I *did* think I'd purchased the Corrector -- that's the product I'd wanted lol -- but ... no.

    That said, I still really like this concealer, almost moreso than some of my higher end concealers.

    So there. I'm repeatedly slapping my forehead 'til I get some sense back ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this review - it seems like a great product for me. I just haven't found it in the store yet. Looking forward to finding it.
    BTW...when are you going to write a book? You are so wonderful at what you do. Thank you for all the great info!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went to the drugstore and the girl recommended the Covergirl Simply Ageless Corrector only! No concealer! Anyways...Later on at night that day I googled covergirl.com and it says you use them together...first corrector then concealer. Is it true? Have you tried it? Well I'm really confused.
    BTW The corrector -with yellow undertone- is awesomr for my circles.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig