Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, April 12, 2010

A vanilla for all seasons...

A lot of you know that I am a total fragrance junkie but, according to the poll at the bottom of this page, not many of you come here to read fragrance reviews. So I try to keep my fragrance reviews to a minimum on Nouveau Cheap, but sometimes a fragrance in my collection is so lovely, so wonderful, so close to my heart that I've just gotta scream it from the rooftops and this song automatically starts playing in my head:



In fact, if you wait until the 0:40 mark in this video, that's actually what I look like when I put on this perfume! Ha ha ha! My eyes almost roll back in my head and I am SO excited to be wearing this:

Bath and Body Works Vanilla Noir Eau de Toilette
(retail: $26.50, but also available in body mist for $12)

Now some of you may be saying, "Recessionista, why talk about a warm vanilla fragrance in the springtime, when most of us want to smell like flowers and citrus and clean, fresh scents?" And I would say to you, "Sweethearts, this is a vanilla for all seasons!" I actually received this fragrance several months ago for review (I think it was in November of last year) and it sort of got lost in the holiday shuffle. But when I rediscovered it this January, and really took the time to appreciate it, it quickly became one of those fragrances that makes you say, "Where have you been all my life?"

Take a look at the notes in Vanilla Noir:

  • Fragrance Top Notes: Living Black Plum, Exotic Dark Berries, Bergamot

  • Fragrance Mid Notes: Silky Gardenia, Purple Carnation, Vanilla Orchid, Tuberose Mist

  • Fragrance Base Notes: Living Vanilla Bean, Vanilla Extract, Whipped Toffee, Cinnamon Stick, Cashmeran, Sandalwood, Sensual Musks

  • To my nose, the fruit notes in this fragrance, along with the gardenia, orchid, carnation and tuberose, give this vanilla the tiny bit of floral and sweet elements that it needs to make it something you can truly wear any time of year. Yes, there is lots of vanilla here (which makes it oh so delicious) and the whipped toffee and cinnamon stick notes may have you saying, "This is for cold weather only" but I truly believe that the other notes that mingle in this fragrance make it a soft, sweet, musky vanilla that literally seems to melt and become one with my skin. And I don't think it will make anyone in your office say, "I smell Christmas cookies" when you walk by (yes, that's happened to me more times than I can count, but never while wearing this fragrance).

    If you are a fan of Halle by Halle Berry (my favorite drugstore fragrance of all time) then I think you will also love Vanilla Noir. The sandalwood background in both of these fragrances is very similar, so to me, they are definitely fragrance sisters.

    If you are already a lover of all things vanilla, I am almost positive you probably already own this, or have at least tried it. But if for some reason this scent has managed to escape you, by all means, give it a whiff the next time you're at your local BBW store. And if it doesn't reach out and grab you, spritz a little on your wrist, leave the store and wait an hour. Then smell your wrist and see if it hasn't dried down into a soft, gorgeous veil of satin on your skin. This is what happens every time I wear it, and I hope you have a similar experience with it as well.

    Oh Vanilla Noir, I'm so excited...and I just can't hide it!

    You can find Vanilla Noir online and at your local Bath & Body Works location, and of course you can wait for a good sale and get the body mist, shower gel, body cream, etc. and immerse yourself in it from head to toe (hey, sounds like a great idea to me!).

    A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
    SHARE:

    14 comments

    1. I have loved Vanilla Noir since the scent came out last year, and I so want the body mist! Right now all I have is the lotion, but it's so moisturizing and smells so good I would never use any other!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I absolutely LOVE Vanilla Noir. It's awesome.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm really happy you shared this review with us. A lot of women are really secretive with their perfumes because they don't want others to smell like them or something? I really love warm vanilla smells. Have you ever smelled Sensual Amber from BBW? i actually really like too... and they used to have a vanilla fig smell. It was more musky than sweet =)

      ReplyDelete
    4. I can't believe I missed this scent! I love vanilla with sandalwood scents! I love your fragrance reviews. I'm a big fan of now smell this so I enjoy your fragrance reviews, especially when they are budget perfumes! And I have you to thank for my discover of scentiments! I will have to try this before B&BW does what they always do and discontinue my favorite scents!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I didnt notice this scent at BBW but I'm sure I will like it ]. I too love Halle, I got my mother some of it for Christmas, :)

      ReplyDelete
    6. GREAT choice! I'm in love with Vanilla Noir. It's a scent equivalent to a perfect pair of jeans. Goes great with a lot of things and never goes out of style.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Not a huge fan of vanilla scent, knowing it's used to hide the smell of cigarette smoke. I like it as a note though, so I'll smell this up!

      btw: you've been tagged! http://bit.ly/95IkLJ

      ReplyDelete
    8. I haven't tried the perfume, but I have the body wash, lotion, and body spray. They're nice, but I find the body spray to be reeeeally spicy. It's a bit too much for me. :(

      ReplyDelete
    9. Vanilla is my favorite scent, no matter the season! I will be sure to try this scent :)

      ReplyDelete
    10. I am SO going to B&BW tomorrow! :-) I adore vanilla scents!

      ReplyDelete
    11. I will def wait for a sale! I love the Halle scent, funny enough, I was thinking about it today whilst in CVS!

      Believe it or not, either 1 or 2 years ago I purchased about 7 of these perfume's, most in tangerine and a couple in apple, for under $3 each. I later realized they were all placed on clearance b.c they were making way for the new packaging (the current one).

      Anyways, enough rambling, I am so glad you did this post!!!

      ReplyDelete
    12. beachbumbeauty13: Yay!! A fellow Vanilla Noir lover! So happy you love this one too. :D

      Phyrra: I was hoping you'd see this! I know you love it, and I have to say, I am equally in love. Such a wonderful fragrance! :)

      Rainy Days: I never understood that! lol. I love sharing my "greatest hits" with the world! :)
      And yes, I love *all* the ambers from BBW, even the ones they don't make anymore. I'm such a BBW nut. :)

      PCS: You are TOO sweet, honey! Thank you so much for that! And yes, if you're a vanilla girl, you NEED to at least sniff this one. I think you will LOVE. But of course keep me posted? I'm curious to know what you think of it! xo

      adorepink: OMG, if you love Halle, you NEEED to sniff this one. But definitely test it on your wrist and let it dry down. It will change and the longer I wear it, the more the similarities to Halle come out. Hope you love it too! :)

      Erin: I could not agree with you more!! LOVE that analogy! Absolutely perfect. :)

      Elizabeth: Sorry you have that association with vanilla since there are so many lovely vanilla scents out there. :( And thanks for the tag--I'll be sure to check that out!

      Hana: Oh man, I'm sorry the body mist is so different than the edt. The edt is a bit spicy at first, but the dry down is sooooo lovely. The spice totally goes away and it becomes soft and powdery.

      Kate: Yay! I would LOVE to know what you think of it when you try it! :)

      JenJen: Yay!! Please, please keep me posted? I can't wait to see what you think of it, honey.

      J-Ezzy: OK, if you love Halle, you neeeed to try this! And I would love to know what you think of it, of course! And yes, I LOVE it when BBW changes their packaging--the sales are insane(congrats, btw!). I also live near a BBW outlet and it's CRAZY. They have barrels of stuff for $1, even full-size products. It's almost too much to process. lol!

      ReplyDelete
    13. I bought this scent a few years ago when it was in a much different packaging for the holiday season. I'm not a fan of vanilla perfume really, but I LOVE this scent!

      ReplyDelete
    14. First Time Poster: This scent was discontinued over the holiday season last year which totally disappointed me since it's very hard to find vanilla fragrances that don't overwhelm my senses and Vanilla Noir was subtle but sexy. I noticed in one of your posts that the Bath & Body Works Outlet carries discontinued products. Do you think it's still available there? I was trying to stockpile this scent but almost everything was gone when I realized/was told that the scent wouldn't be returning.

      ReplyDelete

    I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

    Please refrain from comments that contain:
    • Links to your own blog or website
    • Advertisements or referral links

    Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

    © 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
    BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig