Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, February 27, 2010

My nail care story (including how I totally saved my cuticles)

Over the course of the past few months, I've received emails and comments asking me to do a post on nail care. I've even had some readers ask how to grow your nails, because mine apparently look strong and healthy in my swatch pics.

So I'd like to set the record straight on a few things, people. First, looks can be deceptive! Truth be told, my nails are neither long, nor healthy. In fact, they're pretty darn thin and weak. They peel, they chip, they break and my cuticles are a total mess. Just about the ONLY thing I do is file them on a regular basis. I've been asked to do a tutorial on how I get the squared-off shape that I have, but honestly, I wouldn't even know how to describe it. I just use a regular 99-cent file that I get from Sally Beauty, and I file the sides and the tips of my nails until I'm satisfied with the shape. Oh, and I occasionally buff my nails (to remove ridges) with a regular ol' buffer (the one I'm using right now is from Revlon and I got it at my local 99-cent Only Store. It's just one of those 4-sided buffers that you can get anywhere).

So now that that's out of the way, I can tell you my key to getting my nails to "appear" healthy. For me, the best (and only) way to avoid breakage, peeling, splitting, and generally nasty-looking nails, it to keep them polished 90% of the time. Yep, that's the magic word. POLISH. Over the years, I've discovered that if my nails are freshly manicured, they're far less suseptible to breaking, splitting and peeling. Even though my nails are not strong, they don't seem to break nearly as often when I have pretty polish on them. I try to give myself a mani every few days, and once or twice a month I let my nails "breathe" and go without polish for a few days. So there you go--THAT'S my big, mysterious nail care secret. Ha!

I've said it before but it's worth repeating: my holy grail base coat is Orly Bonder Rubberized Base Coat. You can get it at CVS, Rite Aid, and wherever else Orly is sold. It's pricey at $7.99 a bottle, but it's worth every drop. I've tried so many base coats over the years, but for me, Orly Bonder is the only base coat that truly extends the life of my mani by several days. I recently caved in and bought CND Sticky base coat, and now I'm kicking myself for wanting to "cheat" on Orly Bonder, because my mani didn't even last a full 24 hours with Sticky.
And now, I'd like to tell you about how I TOTALLY saved my dry, disgusting cuticles, but first a few words about you, my lovely readers.

I swear to you, I have the BEST readers of all time. I'm not just trying to suck up to you so that you'll love me, I promise! (Plus, none of you would be so gullible as to love me just because I showered you with praise, right? lol!) I really, truly mean it when I say you are THE BEST. I have learned so many tips and tricks from you gals (and guys) that I just can't even think of a way to repay you!

And speaking of tips, I received an amazing one a few weeks ago when my wonderful reader, Rebecca, told me about a tip that her manicurist gave her, and now I want to pass it along to you. If you have dry, icky cuticles, you might want to try rubbing a little Mentholatum on them! If the actual brand name Mentholatum is hard for you to find in your area (I couldn't locate it my CVS), you can try a substitute like Vicks VapoRub, or do as I did and buy the CVS generic version of Vicks:

CVS Medicated Chest Rub (retail: $6.79, 3.53 oz)

Mentholatum is the product that Rebecca and her manicurist use, so it's probably the best way to go, but the CVS generic version contains camphor and menthol (just like Mentholatum) plus some eucalyptus oil (those are the only three ingredients!) which doesn't seem to hurt.

Now let me warn you, the scent of this stuff is STRONG. If you're not ready for it, it can blow you away. But once you're used to it, it actually doesn't stick around for long since you're just applying it to your cuticles. Once a night, or once every other night, I've been applying just the tiniest amount to my cuticles and I really rub it in while I'm watching TV. After the first time I used it, I was amazed to see that my cuticles looked PERFECT the next morning (not dry and white and icky like they usually do).

Believe me, I've tried zillions of different cuticle creams over the years and, for me, no matter how much I used, my cuticles seemed to go right back to their ugly dry-looking state the next day. This CVS Chest Rub has been the only thing to give me long-term improvement that really seems to last. My cuticles have seriously never looked better!

As with anything you buy at the drugstore, use this at your own risk. I'm not responsible if you have an allergic reaction, etc., and definitely be sure to follow the directions on the jar. You can't use this product on wounds or open skin (so don't use it if you've got hangnails or anything like that), you can't warm or heat this product, and you DEFINITELY do not want to be touching your eyes or mouth after you've used it. Ouch!

I'm just sharing MY experience with you, and if you use it sparingly on just your cuticles, you might just see fantastic results like I've been seeing these past few weeks. I'm truly amazed!

That's it for my nail care story--please feel free to share your own tips and tricks in the comments. I'd love to hear them!
SHARE:

22 comments

  1. Orly Bonder is definitely worth the money!! I am extremely hard on my hands and I can usually get a week out of a mani without chipping. This is huge for me.

    Vicks Vapo Rub as a cuticle cream?! I never would have thought to use it for that purpose. I will definitely have to try this tip out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, thanks for sharing =D

    Wow I never knew that Mentholatum could do wonders for dry cuticles! Thanks for letting us know ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a doctor tell me once to use VaporRub for toenail fungus/athlete's foot/cracking heels....so it's logical that it would work on cuticles.....

    great tip!

    :B
    ~Tiffani

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE orly bonder and it's the only base coat I use. I'll have to try your tip about Vicks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried Orly base coat...but I think I will. I love when my fresh nails last atleast a day :)

    And awesome tip on the mentho! I have a jar or two laying around so I will give that a try before bed. LOVE reading your blog, you do have the best readers :P

    Tiffanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO doing this with the mentholatum...or whatever. Just sent DD to look through her stash and see if she has any, because I think I threw out an old jar a while back.

    My cuticles have been getting a little better - I use the grapeseed/A/D oil on my eyes each night and then rub the rest into my cuticles. But they still get cracky/flaky/white/ick during the day without constantly re-moisturizing, so I am looking forward to pretty cuticles!

    As for the Orly Bonder - it's another thing you sold me on, and after I told DD and her BFF (who is a cosmetologist!) what you said and how much I liked it, they are now converts, too! Ahhh...having a cosmetologist get it at her price isn't so bad, either - we are paying about $2 a bottle for it and the other polishes - China Glaze, Orly, OPI, etc. Kinda makes up for not having CVS or RiteAid here LOL.

    You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tip. I am going to try the Vicks out on my cuticles tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been searching for something that actually works on my cuticles! I'll have to give mentholatum a try, thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My oh my, the secret to healthy cuticles in a jar of Vicks Vapor Rub? ha! :) I've a few jars around the house so tonight I will let these babies soak it up with Vicks!

    p.s. Thank you for your comment doll! and yes, didn't Audrey have eyebrows to die for?! and I love love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That orly bonder base is amazing, I'm so glad you told me to try it! This stuff holds on through fingerpicking blues!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Recessionista, if you really want to strengthen your nails quickly, you need to try a product called "Nail Magic" that is available at Sally's Beauty Supply for about $8 a bottle. It transformed my soft, peeling pathetic nails in a matter of about two weeks. Only thing about it is, that it stings your cuticles when you first start using it, but I found that it never causes me any stinging any more. You can also use it as a base coat, and as a Bonder user, I can honestly say that it works decently underneath polish too. It has a light pink tint to it, so it looks nice on its own as well. Check out the reviews on Makeup Alley....it's a fabulous product.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! Now i really want to try that Orly bonder!
    I have terrible nails because i have a nervous habit of not only biting the actual nails but the cuticles and ski surrounding too :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. So true! My nails look much better when I have polish on them (and they don't break, snag or tear as often either). Oh, and everyone has to try Mango mend (or their lotion). It is the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  14. mooosley: Yay! Another Orly fan. :) And definitely, please, keep me posted on the Vicks! I would absolutely love to know if this worked for you!

    Gaby: You are so welcome, honey! Let me know if it works for you too, ok? :)

    Tiffani: Wow, that's great to know! What a multi-use product this is! I'd love to know if it works for your cuticles, so keep me posted, ok? :)

    Janet: Yay! Another Orly lover! And definitely let me know if the mentho does the trick for you, ok? :)

    Tiffanie: Yep, I sure do have the best readers, and I'm so lucky that you're one of them! :D I would love to know how Orly works for you if you try it, and also the mentho! Please keep me posted, ok? xo

    Denise: TWO BUCKS A BOTTLE for Orly, China Glaze, OPI etc? Who needs CVS when you've got prices like that??? I am SO jealous, woman! lol! :) And I am SO thrilled to hear that Orly worked for you, your DD and her BFF! That is amazing!! Now, if only the mentho works for you too! Keeping my fingers crossed. Keep me posted? :)

    Mz. More: You are so welcome! Please let me know if it worked for you, ok? Can't wait to hear! xo

    SeeingSunshine: You and me both! And finally, I found my dream product! Please let me know if it worked for you, ok? :)

    Miss Go Lightly: You are too kind, m'dear! :D And please keep me posted about the Vicks. I'm so curious to know if it works for you too! xo

    PoorCollegeStudent: That's pretty much the coolest endorsement for Orly Bonder I've ever seen! :)

    Gruesome: Wow! Thanks so much for the tip and the great info! I am all over it! Can't wait to pick up a bottle and try it out! :)

    Lillian: Hi honey! I used to be that way with my cuticles and surrounding area as well. But I tell ya, taking extreme close-up pics of my fingers for this blog has really helped me kick that habit! lol. And let me know what you think of Orly Bonder, ok? :)

    JT: So glad you agree about the polish thing. It's amazing, isn't it? Oooh, I am so getting some Mango Mend the next time I'm at Sally! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. ...I have Bonder and hate it. XD So what am I doing wrong? ;-; How long after I apply it should I put on polish? My nail polish always chips and peels like crazy when I use Bonder. Though I might try using it with a different top coat and see if that works better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hana: Wow, you HATED it? I'd have to say you're in the minority here (at least for me and the commenters above) so I wonder if maybe you got a bad bottle or something? I honestly have never met anyone that this product hasn't worked for. :) I don't wait long at all after I apply it--I usually just make sure it's at least a little dry to the touch and then I apply my polish. What kind of polish are you using with Bonder? I have noticed that there are a FEW polishes that don't work as well with it (sometimes Borghese and Revlon) but other than that, it makes Sinful Colors, Maybelline, OPI, China Glaze, Sally Hansen, etc. stick like glue to my nails (and my nails are NOTORIOUS for peeling). Also, I love Sally Hansen MegaShine top coat the best with Orly Bonder, but I've also used Seche Vite and tons of others and they've worked just fine. Let me know, because now I'm determined to make this work for you! lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My last polish that I used with it was Sinful (the new Rise and Shine one). I'm fairly sure I've used Sally Hansen with it before. ...and it's so weird but the Sally Hansen Mega Shine top coat is the one I use with it that I wasn't sure was working. O.o I'm so confused now! I don't think it could be a bad bottle. I got it from CVS when they first started carrying Orly at my store, so it should be fairly new.

    I used it when I polished my nails on Thursday night and then I noticed lots of tipwear by Friday evening and a couple hours later a big chip just peeled right off. That was using Bonder and the MegaShine. -_-

    Normally I get at least a couple days before any tipwear and usually about a week or more without chips using my combination of Sally Hansen Nailgrowth Miracle Salon Strength Treatment (long name) as a base and Wet 'n' Wild MegaLast Quick Dry Ultra Gloss Topcoat.

    So yeah, weird. Maybe I'll try again when I take this polish off though. I keep wondering what I'm doing wrong, since everyone seems to love Bonder and the MegaShine top coat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That cuticle saving tip sounds AMAZING!I have the most horrendous cuticles anyone can imagine, so will be trying this asap.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I used the CVS version of Mentholatum last night and seriously there is huge improvement in my cuticles in just one night! I also picked up Orly Bonder when I bought the Mentho and used it under Zoya polish and I already have a tiny chip. To be fair though, this is only the second time I've used Zoya polish and the first time I used it, it chipped within 24 hours as well. I'll try Bonder with a different polish brand and see how that works.

    ~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, so i found that my nails would do the same thing when i would file them. So i decided to stop & it worked. my nails stopped breaking & peeling & now they're growing very well. To get the square shape, i just cut my nails straight across, no file.

    try not filing for a bit & see the difference. p.s. i thought i was the only one who could not use a file :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing this cuticle tip, I'm going to try it out and keep you posted on how it works. My cuticles ALWAYS look horrendous, and now that it's winter they're worse than ever.

    *runs off to look for Vick's, moooooooooooom!*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Vicks Vapor Rub is the best stuff ever!!! I have used it since I was teeny and my mom would put it on me and my siblings' chests whenever we got a cold. I even have memories of being about six years old and drifting off to sleep with the smell of it filling my nose, making me feel all safe and warm- reminding me of my mom. Sniff. Anyway, I love the rub... =)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig