Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Dear Drugstore Cosmetics Companies:


Dear Drugstore Cosmetics Companies:

If by any chance you happen upon this blog, I hope you'll take a moment to read this letter.

As an avid drugstore cosmetics consumer, I'd like to take a moment to remind you (although I'm sure you're already quite aware) that many of your wonderful products arrive at drugstores without safety seals. While I understand the added cost of affixing safety seals on many of your products (which can't be cheap), I'm wondering if you have also calculated the cost of how many products in your displays must be thrown away due to over-enthusiastic women who feel the urge to open up a tube of lip gloss, lipstick, etc. and swipe it on their hand, lips, etc. to see the true color of your beautiful products. While I have a very limited perspective when it comes to "damaged" products I see at drugstores, I can tell you that in my limited perspective, I often see upwards of 25% of the inventory of a given display in a "tampered state" on any given journey to my local drugstores. And I know that I cannot be alone in this observation.

While it is A-OK to forgo safety seals on department store and high-end makeup (because there are testers available and when we make a purchase at a department store the inventory is kept safely behind the counter) it is essential to affix safety seals on drugstore makeup, even if you do graciously provide us with testers within your displays. For the most part, testers in drugstores have no policing or monitoring. Therefore, they are usually messy and uninviting. In which case, the over-enthusiastic women who feel the need to test your products on their bodies will forgo said testers and open up new product--new product that could have been mine had I not had the keen eye to observe that the product had already been used.

I know I am not alone in developing this "sixth sense" when it comes to evaluating whether or not a product I plan to purchase at the drugstore has already been tampered with. There are "tells" which involve inspecting stickers (does the stick look like it has already been peeled back?) and in the case of lipstick, I can open it, roll up the tube and closely inspect it to see if the texture of the surface looks like it has already graced a person's hand or lips. It's sad that we women have had to develop this skill of evaluation, because drugstore products should always be clean and untouched. And this COULD be the case if you would add a plastic safety seal to each and every product you offer to us.

And while I'm at it: If you do place a safety seal on your lipsticks, please ensure that you also include a see-through window on said lipstick tube. We consumers need to see the actual lipstick shade in order to determine whether or not the color might work for us. We have all been burned by the color (sometimes this is a sticker, sometimes it is a piece of plastic) that is placed on the end of some lipstick tubes that is supposedly the exact shade of the actual lipstick. This color very rarely is an exact match. If you can't make the actual lipstick color visible to us, it's the equivalent of selecting a shade of lipstick in a pitch-black room. A 100% gamble.

I want to commend the companies that already place safety seals on their products (and there are many of you out there) but I have to say that many of the most obvious products that warrant safety seals (liquid foundations, lipsticks and lip glosses seem to be the main culprits) do not have them.

Make no mistake, I am writing this letter from a place of love. If you take even a moment to look around Nouveau Cheap, you will see that I have a very deep passion for drugstore makeup. With very few exceptions, drugstore makeup is all that I use on any given day. So that's why I'm writing this letter. Let your products be even MORE available to us! Take away the fear and disappointment we experience when the only shade of lipstick remaining in your lovely display has clearly been used and thus, cannot be purchased by us--the women who really, really want to buy your products.

Sincerely,
The Recessionista

PS: And please, please, please could you also add a safety seal to your eye-makeup-remover bottles? It has always confounded me as to why such products, which need to be of the UTMOST hygienic purity, do not have so much as a plastic ring around their openings! Thank you in advance. :)
SHARE:

24 comments

  1. really, really great post!
    i agree 100% with everything you've said xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Even most mascaras here in Finland are sold unsealed... Disgusting :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I'm sure I'm not the only reader applauding right now.

    Even though this would initially cost companies more money in packaging and/or production costs, it should cut down on damages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! I totally agree! It's really sad to see the poor makeup damaged, used, and unloved =[

    I recently got swap items from a girl in the UK and everything was SEALED so tight it took effort to get it open...but at least I knew it was clean!

    and drugstores should really get some testers, so women dont resort to this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ehh, I personally feel a window to see the color on packaging would look tacky on some items.

    I do believe that all drugstores should provide testers for the product though, as well as seal the products, that way you could test colors, but also not worry about getting a tampered item.

    ReplyDelete
  6. preach it sister!!!! coudln't agree more. (one of my beefs with L'Oreal, for example, whose products i LOVE and buy on a regular basis.) they can do it for mascaras and eye products- make it happen with the rest!

    this has even greater weight considering how many community-acquired diseases are out there (and becoming drug resistant), many of which can be contracted through contaminated surfaces and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noobarella: Thank you so much!! :)

    Nea: Yikes! Mascaras without safety seals? That is scary. :(

    mooosley: Thank you so much for that. I agree--the ultimate savings from damaged goods HAS to outweigh the start-up costs for safety seals, right? I mean, with what we see on a daily basis, it makes so much sense. :)

    cutiegingerbread: Thanks! And go UK! That's awesome to hear. :)

    Ariana: I should have clarified that the see-through windows should be on lipsticks if testers aren't available. I agree that this window wouldn't work on every type of lipstick tube, but if there is no other way to get a peek at the actual product, I'll take visibility over aesthetic value any day. lol. :)

    beautifulmonday: lol!! Thank you, sweetie. So glad to know that so many of you share my opinion. :D And I totally agree-I don't understand why L'Oreal can't put safety seals on Color Juice glosses and all of their lipsticks (of which I am a longtime fan). They take great precautions on their other products, so why not these, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen, sister! Very well said. I don't like having to play CSI: CVS to make sure I'm getting clean makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nikki: LOL!!! CSI: CVS!! OMG, I am cracking UP over here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen! I really wish that drugstore brands would take the time to shrink wrap their products to prevent tampering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so right! I just went to Walmart hours ago to pick up a Hard Candy Painted Lady lipstick in "Fire Alarm" and 5 out of 6 of the "Fire Alarm" lipsticks they had available were smooshed, used, tested, scraped, you name it! I was lucky to find one in the very back but when over half of the products are used, there's a problem. The other lipsticks in different colors had been tested also.. Too bad Walmart doesn't provide testers. Maybe it would help the problem.. at least a little.

    ReplyDelete
  12. JT: Thank you!! Yes, shrink-wrap would be *awesome*!

    Kali: Thank you SO much for taking the time to share your experience here. I REALLY hope people from these companies read your story, because sadly, you are so not alone. This happens to me so often...it's just plain frustrating. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well said, Recessionista! I loved this post because everything you wrote is entirely true! I was at Walmart the other day and saw a little girl testing out all the Hard Candy lipsticks on her fingers! I was planning on picking up a few of them, but I definitely did not go near them after that. Though it had plastic wrapping around it, it did not prevent the lipstick from being opened and tampered with. Companies need to make REAL safety seals that seal up the opening! I, too, have developed an eye to detect the slightest hint of a USED product, such as the not-so-smooth surface of a pressed powder (or eyeshadow) and the not-so-sharp point of an eyeliner. It amazes me that people will test anything that is not packaged with plastic and a cardboard backing. While this does guarantee a new untouched product, it is also very wasteful.

    And also, there were many instances where I did not buy a lipstick simply because I could not see the actual shade of the lipstick bullet. And no, those color swatches on the outside of the tube don't help. Instead, I have to rely on bloggers to post swatches, but the process of trying to find the exact shade I'm looking for is a bit tedious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hear hear. Well-said. I hope they are listening!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope they'll read this!

    I'm pretty sure every drugstore makeup I've bought here were plastic sealed :D
    But then again, most American drugstore makeup brands are sold in department stores over here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kudos! This is much needed, I hate when I walk into wal-mart and half the products have been opened and used.

    Some women need to learn that you shouldn't actually use the testers to apply make-up due to sanitary reasons, but that doesn't mean you can open up a brand new one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rita: I am SO happy that this posted resonated with you! And I right there with you in being able to scan the surface of powders, check the points on pencils, and let's not forget look at the edge of the opening of a tube of gloss for signs that the applicator has already been pulled out and placed back inside! LOL! Like Nikki so eloquently pointed out, we're all CSI: CVS on this stuff! What's next? We bust out some magnifying glasses? Come to think of it, that *would* help! LOL! :)

    Lipstick Rules: Thank you SO much for that! I'm so glad you agree, honey. :)

    Fifi: Wow, well consider yourself lucky in that respect! And see, if they can seal these products for shipping overseas, then that TOTALLY proves that they CAN do it for products here in the US as well! Geeze, that kind of makes me angry...I mean, if they have the capability to do it (which you have just confirmed) then they really should be doing it for every product that leaves their facilities. Hum...thanks for the info! :)

    Arezu: Thank you, sweetie! And yes, testers can be loaded with germs so it's best to avoid them, BUT, at least with a tester we can *look* at the color of a lipstick (even if we don't swipe it) which helps so much, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. YES 1000000%, lol!
    thank you SO much for writing this post, you said it all perfectly:-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. charziparzi: Thank you SO much for that, honey! I am relieved to know that I'm not alone is this. Seriously, it gives me a little bit of comfort to know we are all suffering from the same tampering frustrations! Now if only they will listen and fix this ASAP! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I couldn't agree more with this post. I do not buy makeup that doesn't come sealed. It's sad because I know I'm missing out on some great products, but I don't want to risk getting a tampered product.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anon: Thank you! I hear you about missing out on certain products because they're not safety sealed--I do the exact same thing and I know there are some great wand-style lip glosses out there that I wish I could try but I just won't do it because I can't be certain they haven't been used already. :(

    Fabuless Beauty: Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with you here 110%!

    The lipstick doesn't bother me much because I don't wear lipstick as much, but when I do, it does annoy me that the safety seal is on the ones w/o the clear top.

    And I absolutely LOATHE it when people open up makeup remover bottles. It's so unhygienic and rude! It fathoms me why some people even open them in the first place.

    Great post, Recessionista!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes! Thank you for this! Thank you! I cringe @ the thought of other's bacteria, ringworm, MRSA & heaven only knows what else is out there!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig