Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Day odds 'n' ends!



First of all, Happy New Year, my lovelies! I hope you're all enjoying the day and that you had either a magical, crazy, exciting night last night, OR a warm, quiet, peaceful one, depending on your taste and lifestyle. :)

As for myself, the boyfriend and I had ourselves a couch picnic and enjoyed a Mad Men marathon (I'm only up to the end of season 2 since we're watching it for the first time on DVD so pleeeeease no spoilers!). For dinner we made noodles with steamed broccoli, carrots and baked tofu--we poured a homemade peanut sauce over the whole thing and it was deeeelish. For dessert, I tried making some vegan chocolate lava cake (I'm not vegan but I like the idea of not using dairy products in dessert because, well, desserts are bad enough for you without the fat and cholesterol, right?). So back to the chocolate lava cake--it was a DISASTER. The banana I used was overripe and had a funky taste to it, then I misread the ingredients and added 1/2 a TABLESPOON of salt instead of 1/2 a TEASPOON, so the whole thing ended up tasting like a weird salty banana with bitter chocolate mixed in. We tossed it in the trash and ended up eating butterscotch chips (purchased to make cookies) straight out of the bag like candy for the rest of the night. No wonder I feel sick right now. :)

Right now I'm being incredibly lazy and switching back and forth on TV between the various marathons they're running: Barney Miller, Myth Busters, The Next Iron Chef and Most Shocking. And I can't wait for 8:00 tonight when E! airs Office Space, which I have probably seen 5,000 times but can never miss whenever it's on TV. [Office Space fans: I can do the BEST impersonation of "Corporate Accounts Nina Speaking JUST a moment" you have ever heard!]

But before I go back to being a couch zombie, I'd like to share some odds & ends with you! :)

1) My awesome pal Amber at Beauty Junkies Unite just did a fantastic review of the brand spankin' new Maybelline Lash Stiletto Voluptuous, which one of my readers informed me is a dupe of a Lancome mascara. Check out Amber's review here, and while you're at it, please send her warm wishes as she recovers from bronchitis. Get well soon, girlie!

2) PLEASE, if you haven't already, vote in my poll at the bottom of this page. I would LOVE to know from you, my dear readers, what you would like to see more of from me in 2010, so the results of this poll are extremely valuable to me. Please vote, ok? And thank you!

3) I've got an e.l.f. at Target update for you! The display that appeared at Targets across the nation back in October was actually part of a holiday promotion and it was never intended to be permanent (I just found this out last week). So if you've gone into Target recently and seen crazy clearance prices on e.l.f. stuff, that's why. But the great news is that e.l.f. WILL be back in Target stores PERMANENTLY, beginning in March of this year. I spoke to the Chief Marketing Officer of e.l.f. recently and they are very excited about what will be available--lots of single items, and the products will be from the e.l.f. line and the Studio line (no Mineral line products yet). I will be receiving a complete list very soon of what you can expect to see at Target in March, so please stay tuned. The minute I get it, you know I'll post it!

4) I want to apologize for really lagging on responding to comments lately. I LOOOOVE hearing from you and I treasure each and every comment I receive. I usually can respond to comments the same day they are received, but it's just been extra crazy these past few months. I know that when I leave a comment on a blog and I don't receive a response, I kind of take it personally. I always think, "What, did my comment not matter to the person? Did he/she just totally ignore what I had to say?" So BELIEVE me, I never want YOU to feel that way if you leave a comment here and I do not respond. I read ALL comments left on this blog, and I have every intention of responding, but sometimes I'm not perfect and life gets in the way. But I want to assure you that this is the ONLY reason for my lack of response. It's not because I don't find your comment valuable or unworthy of a response--I assure you that's not the case at all. I love you guys so much and I am constantly amazed at your wonderful, thoughtful, and insightful comments. So please, if a comment you have left here has gone unanswered, do not let that stop you from commenting again in the future, ok? Thank you!

5) Can you tell me if you are you enjoying the feature on my right-hand side bar, which is the articles from my Google Reader? I try to update it every single day with new beauty news that I discover from the various websites that I subscribe to, but if you don't find it interesting and you find yourself never even looking it, I want to know! I'd rather devote my time to things that YOU find useful, so please leave a comment here telling me if you love it, hate it or are just "meh" about it, ok? Thank you!

Thanks to everyone reading this for making '09 one of the most fulfilling years for me on a personal level. It was a big, scary step for me to start a beauty blog and I could not have done it without you. The fact that you spend even a second of your day on Nouveau Cheap makes me so happy that I want to skip around in circles and throw faerie dust into the air! :)

Bursting with love and gratitude,
R. xo
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. I LOVE peace & quiet. :O)
    I LOVE Mad Men & can't wait til the new season begins. In the meanx I'll be hoping to watch new episodes of Damages very soon. It so bothered me that "V" ended so quickly & we have to wait until March for new episodes! I make non dairy deserts all of the x b/c one of my kids has a milk protein allergy. SOrry your desert was a bust. We all learn from mistakes though girl, it's all good. Love ur blog. I still haven't figured out all the nuances of comment moderation features, so plz forgive me if I have not responded to a comment. Technically challenged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear about the ELF - not sure if you had seen my blog but I had posted asking what had happened to it last weekend! That definitely makes sense though since everything was in a gift set type of form. Here's to hoping that the new line at Target will interest me more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the update on elf products at Target. Since the packaging of the elf gift sets had a festive silver bow and ribbon design, I think I've always suspected that they were limited edition for the holiday season only. I guess I was right! I'm really looking forward to seeing the Studio line in stores because I've been wanting some of their brushes for the longest time! I've heard that the Studio Powder brush is comparable to the MAC 187 for buffing foundation.

    Also, I enjoy seeing the features on the right-hand sidebar. They're very informative and I love hearing the latest beauty news. =)

    Lastly, I want to give you a huge thank you for creating this blog! In my own honest opinion, I am starting to get a little tired of the beauty bloggers who use their blog to flood their readers with (Photoshopped) photos of themselves, brag about their expensive designer brand purchases, or rant about all the little inconveniences in their daily lives. I understand that people write blogs for their own personal reasons, and I don't mean to target any one person specifically. My point is that I don't like reading blogs that aren't worth my time. That's why I love THIS blog so much. It satisfies the product junkie inside of me without slapping department store price tags in my face. It doesn't make me lust after brands like MAC, NARS, and Bobbi Brown because you have shown me that dupes do exist. In fact, cheaper brands like Wet 'n' Wild and NYC might even be BETTER than the expensive ones, in terms of staying power, color intensity, and packaging ingenuity. I've always known that a girl can be budget-friendly and still wear the latest makeup trends without breaking the bank. You have proven it so. If I could only read one blog per day, it would be Noveau Cheap. And please note that, indeed, I do check your blog every single day. Please don't ever abandon this blog!

    Have a wonderful New Year, Recessionista!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you always respond! Gotta try to learn that from you :D

    I'm excited that ELF will be permanent w/ studio stuff. That's awesome to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. for the elf cosmetics..they have a lot of the cosmetics online, i think i een saw brush sets and mineral stuff if im not mistaken and you going to freakkk!!! they are having a 50% and 75% off sticker sale in CVS!!!!!!! amazing, i already got very good deals

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you! You've created an awesome blog with awesome information that has inspired many purchases over the past 9 months I've been a reader. a DAILY reader, mind you. Generous with info, helpful with tips, I'm thrilled to find someone who enjoys the bargains and cheap finds. You've inspired and influenced many a purchase - much of your top 2009 awards are in my possession - with much agreement!
    Re: info on right side of the screen, though I love the available information I'm spoiled by your writing and product choices so I seldom peruse, probably at a personal loss. I assume you'd submit nothing you didn't recommend but I have my limitations and must limit my searching to known quality or else I'd NEVER leave the laptop. Must leave the laptop. :)
    Thanks again for all the awesome info. Kudos!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog. I've been reading it for about a month now, and I love that you're all about drugstore and inexpensive brands! Thanks to you, beauty blogs have kinda become a guilty pleasure for me. Its odd because I'm a total tomboy an have slacked completely in the beauty area for the past few years, but you've actually inspired me to start a beauty related blog of my own (I just started it today, so its not much lol). Ugh... that really sounds like I'm advertising and I'm really not trying to! I just wanted to let you know that you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the ELF update! I was wondering on that one too. Phew!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think those news are quite interesting. I perfer links like those as opposed to those commercial groups when members have to link their peer every single week...Daily update might be too often though, since people usually don't look down at the corner everytime they make a visit (I guess...).

    ReplyDelete
  10. re: 1- i'm afraid to look at a mascara review as i already have plenty thanks to your blog. lol! hmm, a dupe eh? i can't seem to resist dupes.
    2- done
    3- thx for the info. i thought i was going crazy.
    4-i didn't know you felt that way. i feel bad about leaving you hanging. by the time i want to reply to a post it's already days late. i'll try harder but i still suck.
    5-yes, i like it. i'm new to all this makeup info stuff. the feature on the right hand side introduced me to other bloggers, i think that might be how i found you?
    Thank you for all you do! ---and i'm too lazy to create an account. so i'll probably remain anonymous for a very long time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I 2nd SuZJ's comments!Your blog is awesome & I read daily also.Am anxiously waiting your review on The Eraser. PhotoReady was not enough coverage for me (although very nice product)and I returned it.Happy New Year Rec.!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I third what has already been said - your blog is awesome! It's a must read for me.
    To be honest, I never actually looked down at the right corner until you specifically just asked us to - I never noticed it! Your reviews and articles are much more important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1xellus1: Thank you so much for that. I always get bummed about recipe fails, but you're right--you learn from them! And I'm so glad to find another Mad Men fan! Yay! And "V" too! You rock! I seriously need to start watching Damages because you're about the 10th person who has told me it's great. xo

    PB: You're so welcome. I think I missed that on your blog (which I love, btw, and read in my google reader!), but I know that a lot of people were voicing concerns. When I heard that news I was like, "So THAT'S why it's all on clearance." Totally makes sense now. :)

    Rita: I think I read your comment about 5 times and then I started tearing up (in a good way!). I just don't even have the words to thank you for what you said. It means more to me than you will ever know that you have not only found my blog, but that the things I choose to write about seem to resonate with you. When I first started the blog, I was very fearful that if I didn't cover any high-end products, people would get bored and eventually stop coming around. It's exhilarating to find that quite the opposite has happened and that there are several women out there who are just like me! There's a difference between being cheap and being SAVVY, right? You nailed it when you said that half (or more) of the time the drugstore lines have more innovative products and the pigmentation can often be better than the dept. store stuff. I can't even count how many times I've purchased a high end eyeshadow only to find that my Wet n Wild eyeshadow palette kicks butt over the one I just spent $40 on. Never again! So don't you worry--I will not abandon this blog, as long as the drugstore lines keep cranking out new and interesting products! Thank you SO much, from the bottom of my heart, for your comment. It means the world to me that you've found this blog and that you keep coming back. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. ndoodles: Thank you! It's a challenge sometimes just because of the time crunch, but I never want a comment to go unanswered if I can help it. I feel like it's the least I can do when you guys have taken time out of your busy lives to write something here. :) xo

    gossip girl: Thank you! I actually posted about the CVS sale--it's great, isn't it? I'm so happy you were able to get some goodies! xo

    Suz: You are the best, I swear. You seriously have been with me since the very beginning and I will never forget that! And what means even more to me is that you STILL visit my blog to this day, and participate in the discussions. A lot of the people who used to post comments when I first started have moved on to other things (which is natural and normal and I am SO not criticizing them for that) but it makes it even that much more special that you've continued to support my blog and actually find it interesting enough to come back to...even after nine months! That amazes me and I am truly honored and humbled by your support. xoxo

    Aedd: Thank you SO much for your comment. I didn't take it as an advertisement at all--in fact I'm DELIGHTED to hear that I may have inspired you to start your own beauty blogging journey. For me, this blog has been fulfilling in more ways that I can count, so congrats to you for taking the step and I hope you find it as rewarding as I have! It's A LOT of fun! And you know what? Tomboys deserve fun products too! So I am looking forward to seeing you evolve--keep me posted, ok? xo

    Candy: You are so welcome! My pleasure. :)

    Citrine: Thanks for the comment! I actually take a few minutes to look for interesting beauty news every day, but a lot times there ISN'T an interesting news item so I only post a new one when I see one. lol. Thanks honey! xo

    Anon: Thank you for taking the time to address all of the things I mentioned in my post. :) Don't worry about not commenting--you are SO not leaving me hanging! I would never feel bad if someone chose not to comment--it's your choice and I totally respect that! I just feel bad if I don't RESPOND to a comment. I don't feel bad if YOU don't comment! I hope that clears that up, honey! And I don't mind at all if you choose to stay anonymous--it's just hard for me, as a blogger, to know if you are the same anon commenter that has left comments on other posts. There's just no way for me to tell if you've commented on my blog before if you're anon. Does that make sense? lol! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle: Thank you so much, honey! I LOVE that you find my blog interesting enough to return to on a daily basis!! And as for the Eraser, I should have that review up by Mon. or Tues.! xo

    Easy, Peasy, Breezy, Me: Thank you SO much for that. To be called a "must-read" is just simply mind-blowing for me! :D You ROCK! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. International florists in Canada, we have ushered in revolutionary changes in the flower industry of Canada.
    Canada flower shops

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice effort, very informative, this will help me to complete my task.
    send gift to Korea

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig