Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, November 2, 2009

The Coastal Scents 56 Blush & Eyeshadow Palette is a dupe-making MACHINE!

You guys know that I love discovering dupes, but I had NO idea what I was in for when I received the 56 Blush & Eyeshadow Palette (retail: $19.95) for review from Coastal Scents recently. This thing is BANANAS for making dupes, so please stay with me while I try to explain it all.

First let's take a look at the actual palette:

(click images to enlarge)








You get six generously-sized blushes and 50 smaller eyeshadows in this palette. There is a beautiful combination of colors here and some are matte, some are shimmery and some are sparkly.

Right off the bat, I have to say that I've read a lot of reviews about this palette and one of the most common complaints is that the blushes aren't very pigmented and they don't have good staying power. But I've got to say, my experience was the total opposite. I'm quite picky about my powder blushes, so I had low expectations for these. Boy was I surprised to find out that the pigmentation was GREAT, and the staying power was right up with the best drugstore blushes I've owned. Seriously, I don't understand why these get a bum rap because they're definitely one of my favorite things about this palette. Oh and don't let these pics fool you--the colors of the blushes are SO much prettier in person. Here are my favorite three:





Now let's get to the eyeshadows. First I will say that my only criticism is that not all of these colors are created equally. Some of them look like they're going to be shimmers, but when actually applied they turn out to be sheer matte shades with a tiny bit of sparkle to them. Also, some of these shades are a lot more powdery and fragile than others that have a harder, almost baked consistency.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, let me tell you that this palette has a TON of potential to create some pretty darn amazing dupes! First let me show you some obvious dupes that needed no help at all:


Left = MAC Electra. Right = CS silver (location on palette: 1st row, 5th eyeshadow down).


Left = MAC Romp. Right, CS bronze (location on palette: 8th row across, 3rd eyeshadow down).

IMPORTANT:

When I discovered the two dupes above, I also realized that these two CS shades are the two most important shades in this palette if you want to create some other dupes. Let me explain.

If you want to make a dupe of MAC Tilt, just follow this formula:

Take two CS shades and layer them until they match MAC Tilt!




So easy! Here's another one:



Here's one more:



The possibilities are endless with this palette and I know that I have only scratched the surface with these dupes. So just remember: the shimmery silver and the shimmery bronze are KEY to making dupes by layering different colors. Also, if any of you want the exact location on the palette of the other shades I used, just let me know and I'll leave that info in the comments for you.

Do you own any Coastal Scents palettes? Do you find that they're as rich with dupe potential as I do? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and gratis samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. I've heard great things about the 88 color palette and have considered picking it up, but have stayed away because it reminds me of the palettes my mother would buy me (color workshop maybe?) when I was in high school, where everything had horrible staying power and it was bright and chalky. That and the fact that palettes overwhelm me and scare me away sometimes with their excessive choices and inability to look in a drawer and instantly see the shade and pick it out on any given morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you reviewed this palette because I was just considering it. I'd love to get the 88 matte palette-- there areso many great reviews on that one too. I'd love to try out those gorgeous colors and they're supposed to have great pigmentation :)

    &&& I tagged you in a survey!
    http://beautygurugals.blogspot.com/2009/11/anyone-up-for-game-of-beauty-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Papaya Bunny! I totally know where you're coming from because I actually shared your exact sentiments before I got these CS palettes. I tend to shy away from palettes in general because my theory has always been that you really only LOVE one or two colors in a palette. But this blog has made me a lot more open-minded about things and I'm really trying to embrace color more than I have in the past. So getting this CS palette sort of forced me out of my comfort zone. lol. I'm always overwhelmed when I have too many color choices, but in reviewing this palette I really got a chance to take my time and appreciate a lot of the colors one by one. I tried several different looks (a different look every day) by using just one or two shades at a time, and now I'm convinced that, for the price, it's a great way to experiment with colors without shelling out a lot of money buying singles. So my advice is, if you buy a palette, just go slowly through it. Take your time and figure out what works for you, and remember that you don't have to use a ton of colors for each look--just pick out one or two colors to wear at a time and eventually you might start to feel more bold and use different combos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shela! Ooooh, a tag! I'm on it! I'll check it out on your blog and hopefully post my response tonight. :) And you're welcome for the CS review! I also rec'd the 88 Warm palette from Coastal Scents. I'm testing that one out right now and should have a review posted in the next week or so. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. the subject of dupes totally fascinates me but what you've done, mixing colors and coming up with dupes is a different level all together. wow! there should be a book or something. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got a couple CS palettes and they don't get that much love from me because some of the shades are quite bright---why I never thought of blending the colors together I don't know why? I love the bronze and green shades you blended. I'll have to check out the dupe shades and play.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, never did I think of blending the colors together but I love palettes and I am definitely gonna add this to my wishlist. The middle blush swatch looks amazingly gorgeous, it loos like a lighter shade of MAC raizin. Thanks for the info dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the 88 matte palette. I had the 88 shimmer but I sold it cause I bought the BF-beauties palette and fell in love with that one. Their palettes are much more pigmented than CS and much cheaper (faster and cheaper shipping too)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOh pretty! CS makes some great eyeshadow colors. Gotta say though, I've never paid much attention to this palette. I always hear about the 88 palettes or the neutral ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have several of the CS palettes. I love them. I think they are good quality shadows, & like you said the possibilites are endless :)

    thanks for the dupes & tips!

    katy:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I mean, WOW. I am enthralled by your color blending capabilities. Seriously! 0.0

    ReplyDelete
  12. I purchased the 88 palette (matte & shimmer) but the one off of ebay :\ It's taking a LONG time to arrive. I didn't buy the one from CS or BHcosmetics because it's much cheaper (its the same thing, just doesnt say Coastal Scents on it)when purchased straight from hong kong - although it seriously takes a really long time to get here (it's taken me 1 month)

    I'll definitely have to play around with the colors =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anon! Wow...I don't even know what to say! Thank you SO much for that! You really, truly just made my day. xo

    Mama Mish Mash! Get to blending, woman! lol!! If you've already got some palettes, try mixing and few colors and let me know how it works for you, ok? xo

    rayqueenbee! I'm so glad I could give you an idea that inspires to you play around a bit with these types of palettes. I would love to know if you end up ordering this one and if you like the blushes as much as I do! xo

    Marie! Thanks for the comment and tip about that other company. I'll have to look into that and check out their palettes! :)

    Ndoodles! When I was initially deciding on what I wanted to receive for review (CS allowed me to select my products) this one caught my eye because of the blushes. I mean, what a deal for six blushes and all those shadows, right? So even though this one's not talked about as much, I just had to give it a try and I'm so glad I did. :)

    Katy! You are so welcome! Thanks for backing me up on these. They are just too fun and I swear you'll never run out of ideas. :)

    femputer! WOW, thank you so much, honey! Coming from you, that is the highest compliment and I don't take it lightly. But wait...how can I ever top this now? lol!!! xoxo

    Siluet! Thanks for the info about those other companies that sell palettes. I had heard that there was a seller on ebay that sold these, but I also heard that it takes forever to get them. So in a way, I think I'd rather pay a tiny bit more and know that I'm going to get my goodies quickly. I get SO frustrated if something takes longer than 1 week to get to me. I'm so impatient, I know. lol. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. awesome post cuz my 88 palette has been long tossed to the side!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yummy411, I think it's time you dusted it off and started blending some masterpieces over there! lol! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I just learned of this brand recently. Is it only sold online at their website? This palette looks fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig