Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, October 8, 2009

Review: Hard Candy "In the Shadows" eyeshadow palette and Eyeshadow Primer

I apologize if this blog seems to be all about Hard Candy lately, but given the popularity of this newly reformatted line sold exclusively at Walmart, I am feeling compelled to bring you my reviews of the products I purchased last week as quickly as possible. Today I'm going to review the Hard Candy "In the Shadows" eyeshadow palette in "026 Gamble" and the accompanying tube of Eyeshadow Primer (retail: $7).




As you can see, I love how this palette comes with its own little tube of primer that is attached at the top of the palette by a little elastic band:





And I really like how the primer stays in place, even when you open and close the palette (more on the primer in a bit).



As you can see, there's a lovely emboss of the Hard Candy logo on this palette, and the colors in "026 Gamble" are lovely as well. You get two cool shades, two warm shades and neutral. There is very subtle shimmer in the lighter shades while the darker two shades have more shimmer.

For my first look, I used the very first (top) shade all over from lashline to brow, and the 4th shade down (the medium warm golden olive brown) in the crease. Also, I used the primer before I applied these colors.

Here is my eye taken at 9:00am:




And here is my eye taken at 4:00pm:



Not bad, right? I didn't see much creasing or fading. So far so good!

A note about the texture of these shadows: the lighter shades in this palette have a much harder consistency than the darker shades. In other words, the lighter powders themselves are harder and it's more difficult to pick up product with your brush, as opposed to the darker shades which are softer and easier to pick up with your brush.

Here's a swatch of all five shades on my hand:



It was really difficult for me to photograph the lighter shades because they're just so similar to my skintone that they kept blending in with the color of my skin.

Moving on, I next did a look using the 3rd shade down as a wash with the second shade down in the crease. This time I used the primer on my left eye and I did NOT use primer on my right eye.

This is the eye with primer, taken at 10PM at night after a full day of wear:



This is the eye with NO primer, taken at 10PM after a full day of wear:



Now here's the interesting part. I feel like the colors are more intense on the eye that DIDN'T have primer! Could it be possible that the primer eventually dulled the pigmentation of these shadows?

The good thing is that, either way, with primer or without, I didn't experience much creasing at all. And these shadows blended nicely with or without primer as well, although they blended a tad smoother on the eye that had the primer.

Let's talk more about the primer:



They very first thing I noticed was that this reminded of the Hard Candy Face Primer (which I also purchased and will review in the near future). The texture of this eyeshadow primer is very much like your regular silica-based face primer, except that it doesn't contain silica. It does, however, contain dimethicone crosspolymer. Here's the full list of ingredients:

Water, propylene glycol, cyclopentasiloxane, glycerin, dimethicone crosspolimer, polymethyl methacrylate, C13-14 isoparaffin, laureth-7, polyacrylamide, betaine, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, disodium EDTA (sorry if i misspelled anything but the font on this tube is teeny-tiny)

As you can see, this also contains glycerin and aloe. To me, those ingredients mean added moisture, so I'm a little unclear as to how that's supposed to help keep powder eyeshadow on my lids. I was also kind of bummed that this product contains three different types of parabens (the face primer contains no parabens at all).

Since there are no directions on the tube, I wasn't sure how much to use. I went with the less-is-more philosophy and used about the same size on my lid as you see in the pic above. Just a tiny little squirt.

I found that this applied like a face primer, meaning it went on very smoothly and it's got a wet consistency that eventually dries down to make your skin feel very soft (just like a face primer). Also, just like a face primer, it serves to fill in any small wrinkles or dryness on your lids, making the entire surface of your lid very smooth.

What struck me as odd was how it compared to other various eyeshadow primers I've used (BeneFit F.Y. Eye, Lumene, Sally Hansen Carmindy, etc.). Almost all of the primers I've used in the past have a creamy, almost dry and putty-like texture, which helps to grab your eyeshadow and it also helps to intensify the colors. This primer, since the consistency is more like a face primer, doesn't really grab the powder shadow and it definitely does not intensify the color. It made my shadow apply smoother, but overall it didn't do much to enhance the staying powder or color intensity. It's nice that it comes with the shadow palette and maybe if I play around with it a bit more (try using it with different brands of shadow, etc.) I might find a better way to work with it. You know I'll keep you posted if/when I find a better use for it!

That's all for now, but please stay tuned because I've still got plenty of other Hard Candy products that I'll be reviewing in the very near future.

In the meantime, do you plan to purchase any Hard Candy products? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I broke down and got one of the Take Me Out liners after staring at the display for a while yesterday. I wore it yesterday and started to write a review of it but ran into needing to do my make up because I only had 10 minutes until I had to be at work (3 minute commutes are lovely), and I'm actually glad that I didn't finish because I decided to give the liner a second chance and wear it again today. My experience was much, much better. Oddly enough though, like how you feel that the shadows wore better without the primer, I think the success of the liner today was because I didn't wear it over an eyeshadow. Maybe their eye products are just better left alone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was interesting R. I'm just entertaining myself reading all the review and then imagining the products, lol. I saw some people got the concealer kit, wonder how good it is, as there're different shades. If you by any chance getting it, please review. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard Candy is on every blog and I can't wait to go into Walmart and look for them. I haven't been in there in a while. I might pick up the primer and try it out myself. I'm in need of a good primer.

    Maybe you can wear the primer, then cream eyeshadow as a base.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Papaya Bunny! That is very interesting! I can't wait to read your full review--and maybe you're on to something here, because I sort of had a similar experience with the liquid liner (I'm about to post my review of that right now). Hum...I guess I have to buy a Take Me Out liner to see (oh darn!) lol. xo

    Hey Halifax! Thanks, sweetie! I don't think I'll be purchasing the HC concealers anytime soon, unfortunately, because I'm still testing all of the e.l.f. concealers that I rec'd for my big concealer review, plus I'm doing a compare/contrast of the Revlon ColorStay and Maybelline SuperStay as well. So I'm a bit concealered-out. lol. But I'd love to know what others think...keep me posted? xo

    Hey ndoodles! Just remember that you can't get the eye primer by itself--you have to buy it with one of the eyeshadow palettes. Also, don't you think it defeats the purpose of a primer to have to layer another product on top of it to make it work? I'm sorry but that's just too many steps for me! lol. But maybe you're right and it would work better that way...I just don't have the patience to do it. lol! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one if you end up buying it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Rec.-What eyeliner are you wearing in these pics? It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Michelle! Thank you so much!! In the first two pics, I'm wearing a Styli-Style liner--you can see my review of it here:

    http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2009/07/review-new-styli-style-24-hour-power.html

    And in the second two pics, I'm wearing a Prestige Total Intensity liner in "Intense Olive" that I reviewed here:

    http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2009/06/update-prestige-total-intensity.html

    Thanks again and I hope this helps! xo

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig