Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, August 31, 2009

Review: New Wet n Wild Natural Wear Mineral Foundation


Continuing my reviews of the newest Wet n Wild products, I'm delighted to introduce you to Wet n Wild Natural Wear Mineral Foundation.



Let's start with the packaging. How cute is this container? It contains three parts: The bottom houses the brush, the middle contains the powder and the top is the lid for the powder. All three sections come part as follows:


I received two shades: "Light" (on the left in the first photo) and "Fair". "Fair" seemed to be the best match for my NC20 skin, so the rest of the pictures above and below are of "Fair".

According the Wet n Wild website, Natural Wear Mineral Foundation "...gives you the flawless-looking coverage of a liquid foundation in a light, mineral-based formula. It smoothly evens out skin tone and brightens complexion." Also, there is a "Mineral Veil" product in this collection that serves as a finishing powder. I did not receive Mineral Veil to review so I'm basing this review on the Mineral Foundation by itself.

The shades available are: Fair, Light, Medium, Tan and Mineral Veil.

Here are some pics of "Fair" on the back of my hand, before and after blending:


As you can see, this product does not settle into fine lines. It's definitely not chalky--it easily glides on the skin and blends effortlessly. One application will give you sheer coverage, but you can build for more coverage without the product getting cakey or hard to work with. Currently my skin needs medium coverage, so I played around with this and found that I prefer the combo of using my regular concealer, two applications of Natural Wear Mineral Foundation, followed by a light dusting of loose powder. This left my skin looking slightly matte, but just a little dewy. This foundation gives an extremely natural-looking finish to the skin, and I think that any of you who prefer sheer coverage in a foundation might really enjoy this.

For me, the staying power was similar if not identical to other drugstore mineral powder foundations I've used in the past. By noon I found I needed a little oil-blotting to my T-zone and in the afternoon I needed to re-apply my powder.

Oh and the brush! Let me tell you that the first time you use it, you might think it's a little stiff. I highly recommend that you keep using it because it definitely softens up a lot on the second time around and now that I've used it several times, it's quite soft and not scratchy at all. Plus, I have experienced no shedding whatsoever with this brush. Yay!

Have you tried Wet n Wild Natural Wear Mineral Foundation yet? I'd love to know your thoughts!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and gratis samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.

SHARE:

16 comments

  1. See! Here's another case where I TOTALLY would have passed on a W&W product until you reviewed it :) I'm the same shade as you in that it looks like. Don't ask me why I'm a MAC NW15 or NW20 (depends on time of year) and you are an NC20 either... seems like since we are cyber-twins that we'd be the same in that department too!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are the ingredients in it?
    I've seen some drugstore mineral makeup say it's mmu, but when I compared the ingredients list vs that company's regular powder (I think it was revlon) it was pretty much the same ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amber! Oh that is so strange!! I usually would go for the second-to-lightest shade but it thought that this shade had a touch more yellow in it so that's why I went with Fair instead of Light. So maybe the pics are making it look more red than yellow...but yes, since we're twins I find this different in our skintones almost unacceptable. lol!!

    Hey Phyrra! OK, I'm pretty embarrassed to admit this but I can't read the ingredients! My eyes are getting so bad and the type is so small...even with my glasses on I can't make out the letters clearly enough to be able to type the ingredients. Let me check with my WnW contact and get back to you, ok? Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey no worries ;)
    I was just curious and wanted to ask.
    I'm kinda picky about what I accept in mmu foundation, so wanted to know how they made theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really nice.. I am curious about the ingredients, too. I never used to pay so much attention to ingredients in mineral makeup, but then I became sensitive to bismuth and now avoid any mineral m/u with bismuth in it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Phyrra and Anon! Don't worry, I'll get you that info as soon as I can. I think it would help a lot of my readers so I'm thankful that you asked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so getting this today! I tried the WnW Natural Wear pressed powder and it's great! The smell is a bit strong---it reminds me of chalk or Playdough or something---but nothing bad.

    I also love the packaging. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey dangerkitty! Oooh I'm SO glad you like that Natural Wear pressed powder!! Yay! I really am loving the finish that it leaves on the skin. I agree about the scent--it has actually grown on me, to be honest! And I think you're right--it's got a playdough note and maybe that's why it's grown on me! I love playdough. lol. :)

    I'd love to know what you think of the Mineral Foundation when you get it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phyrra and Anon: I was able to obtain the ingredients list from my WnW contact. Here you go, and I hope this helps!

    The Natural Wear Mineral Foundation is made from a mineral mica base, with mineral colors, such as titanium dioxide and red, yellow, and black iron oxides.

    The complete ingredient list: Mica, Zinc Stearate, Triethoxycaprylysilane, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Bismuth Oxychloride, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hm. The bismuth Oxychloride can really cause a lot of itching, which isn't good.

    My mineral foundations have the following ingredients:
    A.
    Ingredients: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Iron Oxides

    B.
    Mica (CI 77019), Zinc Oxide, Titanium dioxide (CI 77891), Silica (Silicon dioxide), dimethicone, cyclomethicone, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

    C.
    Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Zinc Oxide, Pure Silk Powder, Boron, Silica, Iron Oxides, Jojoba Oil (vegetable derived), Magnesium Myristate. May contain ultramarine blue.

    D. (this one is mica-free)
    Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Rice Powder, Silica, Iron Oxides

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Phyrra! Thanks for the tips about these ingredients--I'm sure this will be helpful for some of my readers. Luckily I haven't experienced any itching with these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to help :)

    Mica can cause an allergic reaction in some people as well, but there area a few companies out there that make mica-free mineral foundation. So if you need help with that, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Phyrra, you rock!! You are officially my go-to person for all things MMU!

    BTW, I'm getting some samples of Orglamix (from Etsy) e/s to review...do you like their products? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Natural Wear powder is excellent. If you use a kabuki brush, you can just buff it on like a mineral foundation, with just as much coverage.

    Unfortunately, the Natural Wear Mineral Wear powder foundation is neither natural nor good for you-it contains parabens, which are carcinogenic. I'm surprised they included these parabens in a "natural" product, but that's where it pays to have done your homework.

    So, just go for the Natural Wear powder as a foundation without the harmful chemicals.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Anon--thanks for the tip about the powder. I am still using this and loving it more every day.

    As for the mineral foundation, I hear you about parabens. Sadly, it seems that just about every product I find at my local drugstore these days (whether it be eyeshadow, foundation, primer, cleanser, etc.) still contains parabens. I'm hoping that more and more companies will start to include paraben-free products in the mix...soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well… I visit your website first time and found this site very useful and interesting!

    Cynthia Kurtz
    Bath Products
    Give the Gift of Beauty, give a Natural Bath Products Spa Gift.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig