Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, August 6, 2009

New Essence of Beauty Portables Collection (everything's under $5!) plus a cool new Softsoap product

I was at CVS yesterday looking for an emergency replacement for my Shu Uemura eyelash curler (can you believe I lost my Shu after having it for ten years?? Don't ask me how I lost it, but it's gone) and I spotted this new collection from Essence of Beauty):

click on the pictures to supersize

All I can say is WOW! If you look at the very bottom of the displays you can see the prices of each item (prices range from 99 cents to $4.99). There are makeup sponges, tweezers, makeup remover pads, mini nail files, mini brush sets, portable hair brushes, eyelash curlers and nail clippers.

So I picked up the Eyelash Curler which retails for $2.99.




There's a little latch on the back that you pull down...


...and that becomes the lever you press to curl your lashes.


And at the bottom of the curler there is a replacement pad tucked into the unit itself. Clever!

I'm impressed. For $2.99 this thing totally works. Granted, you don't get the precision of the Shu Uemura eyelash curler, but it works and I actually won't mind using this for a while until I can afford to purchase another Shu. Also, this would be great to take along when you travel because it takes up SO much less space than a conventional eyelash curler. Seriously, it takes up just as much space in a makeup bag as an eyeshadow single. The dimensions are about 1 inch by 1-1/2 inches.

Next, I want to share a new shower gel with you. I realize that most of you won't find this as cool as I do, so I'm posting it for the 1% of my readers who might share my fascination. These are the new Softsoap Nutri-Serums shower gels:


I tried my best to capture what these look like but you have to look closely to see it: It's a clear shower gel and there are large gold "pearls" and little colored "pearls" suspended in the clear gel. ( According to the bottle, these "pearls" contain a special moisturizing serum.)



The pink formula (contains Omegas 3 & 6) has large gold pearls and little pink pearls.


The green formula (contains Vitamin E) has large gold pearls and little green pearls.

I don't know if it's that the beads are suspended in clear gel, or that the beads are different sizes, but I just think this entire presentation is so cool. I'm sort of obsessed and can't wait until they go on sale so I can see what they feel like to use. The scents are sort of generic (clean, floral-ish fragrances) that are nice and not headache-inducing.

I hope you enjoyed my latest CVS discoveries. Do you plan to pick up anything I've mentioned here? I'd love to know your thoughts.
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. i used a little portable plastic curler like that all through high school! (it was even glittery, lol, and had a lash comb and brow brush thingy that slid out of the bottom of the handle.) this one's so friggen cute!

    i JUST saw those shower gels yesterday at CVS while picking up some medicines- didn't stop to smell them though as I have a mondo bottle of shower gel i'm working through right now. can't wait to hear more! i too was attracted by little smushable serum spheres.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey beautifulmonday! Wow, the lash curler you use sounds so adorable. :) I'm happy to hear that the little spheres caught your eye as well. If you try this before I do, I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought both of those Softsoap body washes last week - I loved the look of them too:) I'll be reviewing them soon.

    I haven't seen those EoB items - I have to look out for those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girlfriend, that curler looks.. kind of awkward. Putting that whole thing near your eye.. idk it kinda freaks me out lol. Does it really work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey HomeSpaGoddess! Ooooh, I can't wait to see your review of these Softsoap shower gels! :)

    Hey Anthony! Well...you're kind of right. lol. It is awkward at first to put the whole thing up to your eye, but once you get the hang of it it becomes easier. I did have one instance where I pinched my lid (ouch!) but then I learned exactly how to position it so that it works properly every time. Sort of a trial by error. Again, it's good enough to get me through until I can buy another Shu, which is definitely holy grail. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh. Why is the Shu curler so good? It sounds pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, Anthony, it is the best. If you look at Sephora or any beauty website (even QVC, I believe) you can see hundreds of women raving about it. I think Sephora has something like 1,800 5-star reviews. Crazy. lol. It's pretty much the gold standard for eyelash curlers because it's got a rounded pad which prevents your lashes from getting a crease, or kink, in the middle from pressing too hard on the curler. The rounded pad makes your lashes look like they're literally curling upward instead of just pointing up at a 90 degree angle, which looks totally unnatural (a lot of cheap curlers do this). Also, the curler itself is thin, so you can get right in there and curl all those little hard-to-reach lashes perfect. The best, IMHO. Great, now I'm really missing mine--I think it accidentally fell off the bathroom counter and into my trash can and I didn't realize it. Waaaah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that eyelash curler is definitely something i would consider. i gotta be honest, i absolutely hate the shu uemura!! crazy i know! i use my curler from ELF and im quite happy with it. and i love that Glitz color. I love buying glitter nail polishes even though i've never worn one. i'm kinda waiting for a party or somewhere dark where i can wear it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey giz89. Wow, I'd love to know what you dislike about the Shu curler. I find this so interesting that you hate it! lol. :) But I am definitely happy for you that like the elf curler because it's just a fraction of the cost. That's great! :)

    About Glitz--have you considered wearing your glittery polishes on your toes? That way you don't have to wait for a special occasion to try them. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig