Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, June 29, 2009

Review: New Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick and Lipgloss


[For my updated review, including two additional shades and new swatches, click here]

I've never been a huge fan of Maybelline lip products, so it is with much happiness that I tell you how much I adore their new collection: Color Sensational. Both the lipsticks and lipglosses in this collection contain pure pigments and honey nectar and I will explain what these two ingredients mean to me, in terms of performance, in this review. (Note: For pics of the Color Sensational in-store display, click here).

Let's begin with the lipstick (case above--sorry for the weird glare but I wanted to take a pic of the transparent magenta case in full sunlight).

Maybelline Color Sensational Lipcolor comes in 48 shades(!) broken down into "Pinks", "Neutrals", "Plums" and "Reds". I purchased a shade in the "Pinks" catagory called "Pink Me Up" which is a neutral, medium pinky-brown creme that borders on the cool side (my pics make it look like it's more on the warm side but in real life it's got a tad more blue). It very much reminds me of several Bobbi Brown shades I own (which is probably why I was drawn to it!):

Here are my lips before:

And after:


What I absolutely love about this lipstick is the fact that, unlike a million other drugstore lipsticks I've owned, what you see is really what you get. I am so used to purchasing a lipstick based on the color in the tube and then, SURPRISE, it looks like a completely different color when I put it on my lips. Not so with "Pink Me Up". I can honestly say that you what you get on your lips is as close as possible to the color in the tube (obviously you have to take into account the natural pigment of your lips, which affects *any* lip color you wear). But what I'm trying to say is that you get NO surprises with this lip color (except for the surprise of how accurate the color is when you put it on your lips!). Truly amazing. The scent of this lipstick smells, to me, like a very subtle combination of honey and vanilla. Not obnoxious at all, and there is very little flavor.

I tried to capture the similarities between the color in the tube compared to the color on my lips here:


Also, I've got to say that this is one of the creamiest lipsticks I've used in a long time and it definitely rivals high-end lipsticks in that arena (I guess that's thanks to the honey nectar in this product). But the great thing is that, even thought it's super creamy, I didn't experience any bleeding into fine lines, which I've found happens to me with some of the more creamy lipsticks I own. Also, the staying power is wonderful considering the creaminess of the product. I noticed that there wasn't a ton of product transferred to my drinking glass, which is nice, but there is some transfer. I'd say I can go a good three hours before I need a touch-up, which is a lot longer than I'm used to for a non-matte lipstick. All in all, I think this a fabulous new lipcolor and one that I will certainly reach for again and again. Now that I know that the color in the tube is very true to the color on my lips, I can't wait to pick up some different shades. The pure pigments contained in these lipsticks might help you take the guesswork out of choosing drugstore lipsticks that will work for you.

Next up: Color Sensational Lipgloss. Now, you probably know I'm not really a lipgloss girl, but the Walgreens BOGO 50% off called to me and I had to pick one of these up as well. I purchased "Hooked On Pink" which is a medium-bordering-on-dark berry with very subtle gold shimmer. The shimmer is so subtle that I couldn't really pick it up with my camera (also the color looks lighter in these pics):


It's got a standard doe-foot applicator:


And here's what it looks like on my lips:


My oh my, I wasn't expecting to love this as much as I do! Let me first say that, once again, the color in the tube is sooo close to the color on my lips (I hope you can see this when you compare my lips to the tube above). This is definitely not a sheer berry but I think that since these products contain pure pigments, they will generally lean toward the opaque. Also, it is so creamy (thanks again, honey nectar!). And it smells and tastes like yummy berry punch (but not to fear--the smell and taste fade quickly if you don't like berry punch). I love that the doe-foot applicator is on the smaller side, which allows for a lot more precision when applying this product to your upper lip. Also, the feel of it! Oh, it is like the Cadillac of lipgloss! So smooth, so cushiony, so luxurious. But magically, just like the lipstick, it doesn't seem to creep up into my fine lines.

For me, here's the best thing about this gloss: This product actually lasts longer than 30 minutes on my lips! I've said this before but I've got reiterate: I am a gloss-eater. When I wear glosses, I simply cannot resist playing with my lips. I rub my lips together constantly until every last trace of gloss has faded away. It usually takes me about 30 minutes to an hour to destroy a layer of gloss on my lips. When I put this gloss on my lips, I "ate" the gloss as I do any other gloss. I rubbed my lips together constantly (how could I not when it feels so smooth and cushiony?) and when I looked in the mirror after about 30 minutes of "smooshing" I was shocked! The color, the shininess, the gloss....it was all still there! This never happens. So I continued...another 30 minutes...looked in the mirror again. The color was still there, but instead of fading to what is usually a ring of color on the outer border of my lips, this faded consistently, all over my lips, and left a nice, subtle berry color behind. Almost like a tint! Ladies, I think I may have finally found the gloss that was made for gloss-eaters like me. I just could not be more pleased with performance of this product and I will definitely be picking up additional shades.

I hope you've found my reviews helpful, and if you have any questions or comments I'd love to hear them. Also, if you've tried any of these lip products I would love to hear your experience!
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. what an awesome review. im glad you really like the products. you are right the color of the lipstick is the same on your lips. its so pretty! this is a must see soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Becky! Gosh, thank you so much for the kind words. You really made my day because I was starting to feel like this review was waaaay too long and that I gave way too much information. lol! It's great to know that you read it and that you might find it helpful. So thank you so much--I really appreciate it! :) Oh and please tell me what you think if you end up buying anything from this collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this specific lipstick color really enhances your natural lipcolor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mari! Thank you so much! There are so many colors in this collection to choose from, so it's wonderful to get some validation that I picked a good shade for my lips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say, this review is well-written and bubbling with just the right amount of enthusiasm. I completely agree with your review. About two months ago, I purchased two of these lipsticks at a limited CVS display containing only about 20 colors, b/c they had a buy one, get one sale. I got the Red Revival, which I LOVE!!!, and the Hooked on Pink, which for some reason seems drier than the red one. The other day I went to Kmart, and I saw the full 48 color display. omigosh, I had to hold myself back from buying 10 more! The colors are FANTASTIC!!! I love this line, and am saving up to buy at least 4 more colors. Even though I currently have about 50 assorted lipsticks, I absolutely HAVE TO buy more shades from this new line. Great review! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jen! Thank you so much for your kind words about my review. That totally made my day! :) Also, I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who has become totally obsessed with this new collection! lol. Have you tried the glosses yet? I'd love to know your thoughts on those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you SO MUCH for convincing me to try these! I'm NOT a lipstick gal, I believe I mentioned that before. (These are BOGO free this week at Walgreens! EEK! Go get the colors you didn't get last time! :-P) But, I took a chance, and OMG I so glad I did! I love Pink Me Up! These are so creamy and dreamy and soft applying! And I haven't had ANY feathering! YIPPEE!!!

    Let's build a shrine, girl, 'cause I think these just might be the holiest of grail lipsticks! :-D And I've got YOU to thank for it! So, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. femputer!! OMG, I am soooo happy that you are loving these as much as I hoped you would! :) Yay!! And I'm glad that Pink Me Up worked for you!! I totally agree about how creamy and wonderful they are. Oh and I did pick up two more shades because of that darn BOGO! lol! I'll review those shortly. And you are sooo welcome--I'm so glad I could help you find a lipstick that really works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG. I hate these! I wanted to like them so much, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you're the first one to say you hate these (at least on this blog!) lol. I'd love to know what you don't like about them--is it the consistency? Or maybe you didn't find a color that worked for you? I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi
    thanks for the review! i am constantly on the hunt for a lasting lipstick and so far this one is working. i can't wait to find a matching gloss to it! i too am a "lipgloss eater" and i so want to find one that after 30 minutes you can't tell i even had any on, so thanks again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, my fellow lipgloss eater! lol! I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised by these glosses. They're not too sticky and they really do last so much longer than the usual drugstore glosses. Please keep me posted--I'd love to know what you think when you get one! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey doll! My review on the lipgloss and lipstick will be on my blog this week. I wanted to like these so much. I love the ads.

    These did NOT do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey sweetie! Wow, I am so bummed! I love this line so much--it makes me sad that it just didn't work for you, but everyone's different, right? I'm looking forward to seeing your review--I'd love to know exactly what didn't work about these. And I'm so sorry! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just tried this because I found a color that looked similar to a lipstick I just bought, Dior addict lipcolor in beige negligee. I heard that it was the color Drew Barrymore was wearing at the SAG awards and I loved how it looked on her. The color "born with it" looks exactly like it! I feel so bad for spending $26 on the dior lipstick and I only spent $6.99 on this lipstick! I even like the texture of this one better!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig