Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, August 30, 2009

Review: Maybelline Color Sensational Lipsticks in "Hooked on Pink" and "Peachy Scene"

As the summer draws to a close (which I find hard to believe since, as I type this, it is 107 degrees outside) I figured I better hurry up and review the pinks and peaches I bought in a recent Maybelline Color Sensational BOGO at CVS. The next review I write for this collection will most definitely be for darker fall/winter shades, but for now let's enjoy these pinks and peaches, shall we?

(For a complete review of Color Sensational lipsticks and lipglosses, including my thoughts on the formula and texture of these products, click here). Or if you don't have time to read my original review, here's the short answer: These lipsticks and glosses ROCK. The texture is creamy and luscious and the color is true to the colors in the tube. The staying power is great for such a creamy product and I haven't experienced any bleeding or feathering whatsoever. I highly suggest giving these lip products a shot if you haven't tried them yet.

OK, back to my review of these colors...

In addition to "Hooked on Pink" and "Peachy Scene", I am also including "Pink Me Up" in these photos (reviewed in the link above) because you know how much I love this color and I want to show you how the other two shades compare against it.

L to R, "Peachy Scene", "Pink Me Up", "Hooked on Pink"

"Peachy Scene" looks way too orange in most of these photos, so here's the truest photo I could manage to take--you'll notice that it's more on the pink side of the peach spectrum:
L to R, "Peachy Scene", "Pink Me Up", "Hooked on Pink"



"Peachy Scene"
"Pink Me Up"

"Hooked on Pink"

Once again, the color in these photos is not exactly 100% true to life, but it's close enough to give you a feel for what we're dealing with here.

As you can see, "Peachy Scene" is a shimmer, and this is my first and only shimmer that I own from this collection. What I noticed first about this shade was that it's not quite as smooth and creamy as the creme formula. This isn't surprising to me because, in my experience, cremes are always a bit more creamy and smooth than shimmers. But what I didn't expect was for the shimmer to seem almost muted. I think that's because the overall formula of Color Sensational lipsticks is soooo creamy. Adding shimmer to such a creamy fomula seems to have lessened the usual high-impact effect you get from a shimmer lipstick. In the end, the look of this lipstick on my lips is similar to if you took a super shimmery lipstick and topped it with a layer of Vaseline. Yes, the shimmer is still visible, but the outcome on the lips appears a bit muted. Shimmer aside, this a bright, cherry peach that I wish I had around in May or June because I think I would have gotten a lot of use out of this shade at the beginning of the summer. If you're a peach girl, this color looks lovely with peach blushes for a fresh-faced summertime look.

As for "Hooked on Pink", I love love love it. I may be a bit biased because creme lipsticks are my all-time favorite anyway, but this color is just gorgeous berry goodness. This is a medium (bordering on dark) true berry shade that's not too blue or magenta (are you listening, yellow-toned girls? A deep berry we can wear!). It's dark enough to wear in the fall and winter, yet not so dark that everyone around will you say, "Hello, Ms. Lips!" when you enter a room. You can wear this shade in the daytime with a muted eye look, or in the evening with a bit of a heavier eye and it would look so pretty. I'd stay away from an extreme smokey eye or anything like that because it is on the darker side of the pink spectrum, but again, it's safe for work and truly a versatile shade that I know is going to get tons of use from me this fall.

Once again, if you want to see my full review of Color Sensational lip products, including my review of "Pink Me Up", just click here.

So tell me, have you tried Color Sensational yet? And if so, what colors are you loving?
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. It's only a smart 111 here, I completely feel your pain! UGH, and the fires are totally killing my eyes & sinuses. It's sad! But-- Pink Me Up is gorge, and Hooked on Pink is to die for! I love em'! These look great on you doll ;)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do I do? I really don't need any more lipsticks but now I want all three of these!! They all look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them! You've gotta check out Madison Mauve. I also love Coral Crush, Red Revival and Very Cherry. I think the pink I have in the collection is Pink Peony and it's pretty, too. Madison Mauve is just gorgeous!

    Love your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm waiting for a BOGO! I have a coupon too :D! But Lord knows I have way too many lip stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Hooked On Pink- I wonder if the shade is available in the UK as I think the names and colours over here are slightly different? I bought one called Ambre Rose this week- really pretty pale peach-pink with a shimmer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving Yummy Plummy and Plaza Pink, too. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Amber! Oh I feel for you! Remember the San Diego fires a few years ago? There were fires to the north, south and east of where I live all going at the same time and I remember how hard it was to breath, and also the layers of thick ash covering the ground and cars and...oh it was such a mess. Just try to stay indoors as much as possible, ok? And today feels a tiny bit cooler here....hope it's the same there! xo

    PS: Thanks for the compliments on these lip colors. I can't wait for you to try/review 'em! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Michelle! Thank you!! :) I'd love to know your thoughts if you pick any of these up (and no pressure but you really should try at least one of these--they are awesome! lol). xo

    Hey Phyrra! Thank you!! I've got to try that Madison Mauve on your recommendation! I'll post a review when I get it. :)

    Hey ndoodles! You're smart to wait for a BOGO and use a coupon too! It will practically be free. :) Can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get one!

    Hey Joey! OMG, thank you!! *blushing* :)

    Hey bjl! It's so confusing when they change the names like that, but the color you bought, Ambre Rose, sounds a lot like "Peachy Scene". Can you tell from my pics if it's the same shade?

    Hey femputer! Ooooh, I'll definitely have to check out both of those shades! Thanks sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i recently scored these at my biglots for a dollar a piece! i was freaking out!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig