Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, May 18, 2009

Revlon ColorStay Mineral Mousse Foundation Review, Part 2






[Note: I just noticed that the skin on my hand looks red in these photos. Blame the blackberry! I obviously wouldn't have swiped this foundation on my skin if it were red, especially since I'm trying to show you what a good color match it is--sorry about that!]

After spotting this display at my local Rite-Aid a few weeks ago, I knew I had to eventually get this product. Then, after reading Pink Train Case's awesome review, I knew it was only a matter of time before this foundation was mine.

Being a huge fan of ColorStay liquid foundation, I had high hopes for this new mineral formula. Let me spare you the suspense and say that I was NOT disappointed.

As you can see in the photos, this product comes in a smallish tube (I put a bottle of Seche Vite in the first picture for perspective). But the great news is, you don't need a lot of this product to cover your face. What I like is that the opening of the tube is very small, so you can easily control how much product flows out. It comes out in a tiny stream, like a mini tube of toothpaste. The consistency is definitely light and "moussey" and once you spread it, you can immediately notice the difference in texture from the traditional ColorStay liquid version. Like I said, it's light and airy, but do not let that fool you. You definitely get the coverage that you've come to love from ColorStay. I tested it on a clean, moisturized face free of any concealer, just so that I'd know *exactly* how much coverage I'd get.

I am delighted to say that this covered my dark circles with easy, but I do have one TOTM blemish that needed an extra bit of help with some concealer when all was said and done. Also, I love that you can truly build the coverage you need. I used a light hand at first, which worked well for the parts of my face without any discoloration or blemishes, but I applied a bit more on the areas that needed more attention and, as long as you work quickly, you can get fantastic, heavier coverage if needed. But again, this IS a ColorStay product, so you do have to work quickly or it's going to dry and, after that, there's no budging.

Also, for my fellow germaphobes, I took a picture of the safety seal (if you can really call it that since it's just a tiny little sticker). But hey, at least this product has something, as opposed to many of the ColorStay liquid bottles that have NO safety seal at all. On these tubes, you can tell if someone has tampered with the sticker and tried to pull it back, so YAY! I knew my tube was contamination free!

The cons: Like Tanya at Pink Train Case mentioned in her review, this is NOT a product for dry skin. I have super oily skin right now, and this foundation settled into some dry areas on my nose that I didn't even know existed prior to application! Seriously, my nose is SUPER shiny when the weather warms up, so I was surprised that I could see fine little cracks in the skin on my nose after about an hour of wearing this. So my advice: Exfoliate well and follow with a good moisturizer before you use this product.

The pros: Buildable coverage, excellent texture and it feels good (not heavy) on the skin. Also, the fragrance is not nearly as strong as it is in the liquid formula. I love the natural, yet matte look of this foundation, and I LOVE the fact that I'm writing this at 11:00PM at night and it's still going strong (I put it on at about 10AM this morning). THAT is worth every penny to me.

Also, I should note that I did apply powder after I let this foundation set for a minute (NYC loose translucent powder) and throughout the day I was absolutely delighted to discover that I needed NO touch-ups, and just a few dabs to the nose with a blotting paper (and for you loyal readers, no, I didn't use a toilet seat cover...yet! LOL!).

You can pick this product up for around $13, although this week at Rite-Aid they're having a 40% off sale on all Revlon ColorStay products, and you KNOW I took advantage of that.

PS: I am a MAC NC20 and the "Light" foundation is a perfect match for my skin. "Light" is the second-to-fairest option in the range.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I want to try this out. How is the moisture factor? loving your blog.
    Come check out mine if you get a chance. Hope to see you around there soon!
    xx Belle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Belle! Like I mentioned in my review, this will show any patch of dryness you have on your skin, so you've got to be well-hydrated before you apply it. But I don't necessarily think it's drying (but I've got extremely oily skin). On my skin it leaves a matte finish, so I'm afraid that if you have dry skin to begin with, it may be a bit much. I hope that helps!

    Thanks so much and I will definitely check out your blog today! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig