Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, May 31, 2009

79-cent shampoo & conditioner that doesn't suck



So I've heard some great things about Vo5 Passion Fruit Smoothie Shampoo and Conditioner lately and when I saw it on sale at CVS for 79 cents a bottle about a month ago, I figured I'd finally give it a try (regular price is 99 cents, I believe).

I've got to say that if you have fine, straight or wavy hair, these products are pretty awesome for the price. I've got fine hair (but lots of it) and it's oily at the roots, dry on the ends. I'm constantly looking for products that cleanse well, but gently, and don't weight my hair down or leave it frizzy. It's a tall order, especially for a 79-cent product, but these products happen to meet all of my needs.

The shampoo produces a nice, thick lather and the smell is delish (exactly what you would imagine a passion fruit smoothie to smell like). It rinses well and your hair doesn't feel like straw afterward.

The conditioner is thin and runny but it works well considering the texture. It conditions to the point where you feel like you actually used conditioner, but it definitely doesn't deep conditioner. The detangling properties aren't amazing, but I wasn't expecting much in that area anyway. (Plus, I always use my secret weapon after cleansing my hair, which helps with detangling and the general appearance of my hair in any situation.)

One other thing I'd like to note: I wasn't expecting these products to help with my curls, but WOW, I can't believe how curly my hair is after using them. Added bonus! I think that because these products don't weight down the hair, it helps enable your curls to be springy and full of life. I really believe that they could add "curl enhancing" to the label on these.

Final Analysis: I've been using both the shampoo and conditioner off and on for about a month now and I can honestly say that they leave my hair shiny, soft, and super manageable. My curls are springy and defined, but when I straighten my hair the results are fabulous as well. Either way, I'm left with soft, shiny hair that is easy to work with and I've never had frizzies or flyaways when using these products. I'm not sure how they would work if your hair is thick and coarse, or if you have very dry hair, but on my hair it doesn't seem to add any dryness, which is all you can really hope for in such an inexpensive product anyway, right?
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Oh my god. Just like all mom's used when we were kids in the 60s. Go VO5! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dahlila! LOL! Yeah, can you believe they're still going on strong (and better than ever?). Love that! (BTW, I think my mom used Breck and Wella Balsam on us back in the day.)

    Oh, and another "old school" haircare company that's still going strong is Finesse! I still use their shampoos too and I love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love VO5!! Their clarifying shampoo totally removes product build up--perfect prep for hair color. Amd their conditioners are one of the few that don't weigh down my fine hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Teresa! Thanks for backing me up on the Vo5 products! Us fine haired girls have to stick together--it's hard to find conditioners that don't weigh fine hair down too much and for less than a dollar a bottle, it's pretty amazing, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig