Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, October 30, 2015

Ulta Holiday 2015 Artistry Kit: Reader Pics and Swatches

image credit: Eva for Nouveau Cheap
Ulta Holiday 2015 Artistry Kit
(retail: $20 in-store and online at Ulta)

So I saw this Artistry Kit on the Ulta website recently and naturally it caught my eye because these palettes look very similar to the Hourglass Modernist Palettes ($58 each at Sephora). Those Modernist palettes received some mixed reviews, and well the price is certainly not budget-friendly for a lot of us, so I've been meaning to visit my local Ulta to see this Artistry Kit in person.

I haven't made it to my Ulta since these came out, so I'm grateful that reader Eva emailed me some pics of this kit that she spotted at her local Ulta recently. I wanted to share them with you in case you were curious what these looked like in person as well.

image credit: Eva for Nouveau Cheap

Have any of you taken the plunge and purchased this set yet? Thoughts? Remember that if you buy one right now, you can use the current $3.50 off $10 coupon toward your purchase in-store or online (valid through 10/31), which would bring it down to $16.50. 

And if you order online, you can use code 205730 for $5 off your $15 purchase, which brings this down to $15 (code expires 12/31/15).

UPDATE:

image credit: Rebekah Egresites for Nouveau Cheap
Ulta Holiday 2015 Artistry Kit

Reader Rebekah Egresites purchased this set, and kindly offered to share some swatches with us. Take a look:

ALL SHADOWS SWATCHED WITHOUT PRIMER

image credit: Rebekah Egresites for Nouveau Cheap
"Dupe" for Hourglass Modernist Palette in Color Field

image credit: Rebekah Egresites for Nouveau Cheap
"Dupe" for Hourglass Modernist Palette in Exposure

image credit: Rebekah Egresites for Nouveau Cheap
"Dupe" for Hourglass Modernist Palette in Graphite

Rebekah writes:

The mattes are pretty standard, the shimmers are gorgeous, and there are some shades with flaky glitter that look pretty, but you want a tackier base to use them.

I used them twice and liked the way they looked on my eyes. I think whether they're worth getting depends on two things: How many higher-end shadows you already have, and whether you want something that looks like the Hourglass palettes. They're not as dusty and sheer as the Hourglass ones, so that's great, but they're not as smooth and pigmented as Lorac or Urban Decay. The textures remind of Tarte shadows.

Thanks so much, Rebekah, for the swatches and insights. So helpful!

Also, I just want to mention again that if you're interested in these and you order online, you can use code 205730 for $5 off your $15 Ulta purchase, which brings this down to $15 (code expires 12/31/15).

Thanks again, Eva and Rebekah, for sharing these pics. I really appreciate it!
SHARE:

29 comments

  1. So pretty! The Ulta eyeshadows I have tried worked very well, but irritated my eyes, so I won't buy them personally, but they really are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This disappoints me. Do they have to blatantly rip off everything the same exact way? Come out with your own unique brand and cute packing ... don't copy. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Competition between brands is the best for consumers. If one brand is more competitive then good for them. Those Hourglass ones were very disappointing anyways!

      Delete
    2. A lot of people can't afford the high end ones, so it's nice to have affordable dupes like this.

      Delete
    3. I like when companies dupe products. Who want to pay $50 for 1, when you can get 3 for $20 (or less) . It doesn't make sense to buy the expensive version.

      Delete
    4. Look at all the Naked dupes. I have not purchased any, but I'm sure the folks who can't afford the Naked palettes appreciate the dupes.

      Delete
    5. I've never been impressed by any makeup at Ulta( except the nail polish). I'd love to hear what other people think or what the stand-outs in the line are.

      Delete
    6. What ISN'T duped in the makeup world (or fashion for that matter)?? I don't buy ANY high-end makeup. EVER.

      Delete
  3. I saw this at ULTA yesterday, and it made me giggle. I think the salesperson may have thought I was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! That's hilarious. I bet these are more pgimented than the Hourglass ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have these, and swatches. Lemme tweet em at you...
    The mattes are pretty standard, the shimmers are gorgeous, and there are some shades with flaky glitter that look pretty, but you want a tackier base to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! I was at Ulta last week, but they didn't have them yet...had a shelf assigned to them though. Looking forward to seeing them in person.

      Delete
    2. Do you like them? Are they worth the purchase?

      Delete
    3. I used them twice and liked the way they looked on my eyes.
      I think whether they're worth getting depends on two things: How many higher-end shadows you already have, and whether you want something that looks like the Hourglass palettes. They're not as dusty and sheer as the Hourglass ones, so that's great, but they're not as smooth and pigmented as Lorac or Urban Decay. The textures remind of Tarte shadows.

      Delete
    4. Thanks so much, Rebekah!! Updating this post now with your pics! xoxo

      Delete
  6. I had to go look at my Hourglass palettes and I can tell you the top palette in the pic is a dupe for Hourglass Color Field, the middle one is a dupe for Exposure and the last palette is a dupe for Graphite. I'm going to have to check this Ulta palette because I'm very curious about it now even though I already have the 3 Hourglass palettes I mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. please let us know if you get them how they compare!

      Delete
  7. I bought one of the Hourglass pallets and wound up returning it back to Sephora. The color payoff just wasn't that good, even with eyeshadow primer. These are 3 for $20 (actually under with that epic coupon!) and these are definitely gonna wind up on my shelf. I really loved the Hourglass design, it's really interesting. honestly, I'm glad that Ulta duped their product. Makes me want to buy it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Randi, I have yet to be impressed with the pigmentation or performance of any Ulta brand makeup, but these palettes are so pretty. I'm fine with dupes as long as they don't infringe on trademarks. Can anyone link to swatches of these? I can't find any via a quick Google search.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One thing that I do splurge on is eyeshadows. I've yet found a really good drugstore eyeshadows. I bought the nyx butt naked palatte and I tried using it but I just couldn't get them to work out as nicely as my higher end eyeshadows. & with the ulta brand I've never found anything good. I've tried about everything and the only thing I still have in my collection are 2 matte lipsticks. So anyone with any suggestions I'd love to try some..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, where do I begin? Wet n Wild eyeshadows (the 8-pans, trios and singles are a GREAT place to start), Maybelline Color Tattoos, L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadows (in the pots), NYX Prismatic Eyeshadows, Milani Bella Eyes, Makeup Revolution palettes (at Ulta), basically any and all ColourPop eyeshadows...I could go on and on. Hope that helps! And you can always do a search on this blog for "eyeshadow review" for more ideas. :)

      Delete
  10. I think that some Ulta single eye shadows are pretty good. You have to be willing to have a couple of duds in order to get a winner. But I find that the standouts for me are the powder blushes. I have several that I use as my daily workhorses. Flushed and Heartbreaker in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my single eyeshadows from Ulta, too. The regular powder shadows are good but I really love their "brilliant color" and "color pure" single shadows. Those two, their gel eyeliners (the color "penny" is a perfect metallic taupe) and their powder blushes are awesome.

      Delete
  11. I was placing an order and needed to get to $50 for free shipping. I put the in my bag and I figure if I don't like them I will just return them. Wish they had really free shipping. I know a lot of people who order anything to get to the limit and then just return. I think it would save Ulta money to just have free shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the color selection here. I like plummy stuff and greens. The third would be a nice bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm well I know that the Ulta Salon Formula nail polishes are pretty bomb. I like their Color Coat cream eyeshadows (more shimmer than Maybelline Color Tattoos, and high in pigment), gel pencil liners, loose eyeshadow, mineral lip glosses (high pigment, comfy), and lip butter (but ONLY in Chicago - I've tried other shades and had problems with too much shimmer and bleeding).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Considering I bought 2 of these palettes when they first came out (The hourglass ones) I should have just waited and picked these up. The quality of the shadows was nothing to write home about. I think I may pick this up this season and compare them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did my usual end of year rewards points Christmas shopping and saw they have these marked down to $10. I decided to throw these in the cart with the rest of my things and used the $5 discount code on the back of the latest Ulta catalog I got in the mail. In the end I got them for $5. I have so many premium palettes I really didn't them, but for five bucks they'll be worth giving them a try, if nothing else they will be pretty to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These may be a dupe in the way the look, but content is not duped. I wear hourglass because of what is NOT in the ingredients. The duped product itches and burns my skin. The Hourglass products do not.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig