Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Review & Swatches: Sinful Colors Spring 2015 Citrus Twist Jelly Toppers

So when Sinful Colors was on sale last week at Walgreens, you know I had to go on the hunt for all of the new Spring 2015 shades that I posted about here. Sadly, I wasn't able to find too many of them, but I DID find the Citrus Twist Jelly Toppers, which I promptly purchased. There are three jelly toppers in this collection--let's take a closer look!

Sinful Colors Spring 2015 Citrus Twist Jelly Toppers
(retail: $1.99 each at Walgreens, Rite Aid and Kmart; 0.5 oz each)

Keep reading for swatches...

1513 Ring the Belini, 1514 Zest of Times, 1515 Horizon Shine

All three of these shades are jellies that contain small, iridescent flakes. These are not the large, shard-like, never-lay-flat types of flakes though. They're small and they are not bumpy to the touch. I've worn all three of these polishes without any top coat and I could not see or feel any bumps at all. Yay!

Macro of Ring the Belini

Above is a macro of Ring the Belini taken in low lighting so that you can better see the iridescent flakes. 

Three coats of Ring the Belini, no top coat

Now I realize that these are technically toppers, but you know how much I love my jellies, and I don't care what anyone says. If they're jellies, I'm wearing them ALONE. As jellies. So that's how I'm showing them to you.

I love jellies because, not only do that look so beautiful and translucent on the nail, but they're also so forgiving when it comes to application. You don't have to worry about brush marks or lining up each coat perfectly on top of the other. Jellies basically applied themselves, no effort or skill required. The only thing you need is patience in between coats (to let each one dry) because you WILL need at least three coats with most jellies.

As for Ring the Belini, this is a gorgeous orange jelly with lots of small-to-medium flakes. These are NOT large shard-like flakes, but this polish contains the biggest flakes of all three shades. I had no issues at all with application, other than the fact that this polish required three coats for decent coverage. You're never going to really get 100% opacity with a jelly, but three coats gets it so that you don't have a lot of VNL (visible nail line), which is really all that I care about. Dry time was average for all three coats.

Macro of Zest of Times

Three coats of Zest of Times, no top coat

Zest of Times is another three-coater if you're going to wear this polish alone (not as a topper). The flakes in this hot pink/magenta jelly are a considerable amount smaller than the flakes in Ring the Belini. They're so small that they MAY appear as iridescent glitter from a distance. I had no issues with this polish at all in terms of application. Yes, it's sheer, and yes you'll need at least three coats if you're wearing it alone, but it's an easy three coats. Dry time was average for all three coats.

Macro of Horizon Shine

Three coats of Horizon Shine, no top coat

Horizon Shine is sort of a cross between tomato red and maraschino cherry red. Basically, it's a warm red that can look more like dark orange depending on the lighting. Regardless of the color, I love jellies like this and this is definitely a favorite of mine. The flakes in this polish are about the same size as the ones in Zest of Times (not as large as the flakes in Ring the Belini). This one only required two coats for decent coverage, but I slapped another one for this pic, just because. No application issues at all with this one and all three coats dried just like the others (average dry-time).

Additional thoughts: I love this collection, but you knew I would. If you love flakie jelly polishes, then I'm pretty sure you're going to love these too, since they're so easy to apply, and the flakes are very well-behaved. Yes, these are technically toppers, but I will probably never wear them that way, just because I love my jellies all by themselves. I'm sorry for not swatching them over a black creme or something like that, but I just can't bear to do it and interfere with that beautiful jelly finish!

Do you own any of the Citrus Twist Jelly Toppers? If so, which shades do you own and how do you like them?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. Ugh! Need! WHY must my local drugstores all be CVS? Must find Walgreens asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all beautiful, I think I especially love the red. I passed these up nearly a month ago, so I hope I can find a display again. Would've loved to see one of your famous jelly sams, G.! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed on wear-jellies-by-themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of these! I got Horizon Shine, but passed up Zest of Times. I am seriously regretting that decision now! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The macro shots are gorgeous! I really like these but Horizon Shine is my favorite! I just may get this one. I wonder what it will do over white? Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found all three and I love them! I wore 2 coats of Ring the Bellini over 1 coat of SC clementine and it was so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I skipped these thinking I wouldn't like them, but after seeing the swatches I need them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I need that red!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah, I snapped all three of these up the moment I saw them! They are absolutely gorgeous! Cannot wait until the warm weather hits so I can bring these babies out. If anyone has a Kmart in their area, that's where I got mine so check there too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got all three today from Walgreens. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who buys Sinful Colors here. The LE's are always in stock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never made it wags last wk. Hopefully will find these this wk....TO THE HUNT

    ReplyDelete
  12. JUST saw all of the new Sinful Colors' shades at Walgreens yesterday, and I convinced myself I didn't need any of them. Now, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go out tomorrow and immediately buy Horizon Shine. :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. *sheepish grin* I bought Horizon Shine the other day. I had no idea it was a jelly or a topper... oops! lol I'm excited now, and I wish I had picked up the pink. I'm so not a nailpolish fanatic. I own 24, including this new one, and my top and base coats... Pink, orange, red and glitters, with one neutral just because... so adventurous. :P Thanks for your informative posts! I never would have known about jellies otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used Ring The Belini over Energetic Red and it glowed! You really should look for the opalescent toppers, too, though. Unbelievably beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig