Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Review: EcoTools Skin Perfecting Brush for BB/CC Creams

I love BB/CC creams and I love EcoTools. So when EcoTools released a brush specifically for BB/CC creams earlier this year, I had to try it. I've been using this brush for a few months now, and I'm ready to give you my verdict!

 NEW EcoTools Skin Perfecting Brush for BB/CC Creams
(with bonus Prep & Prime Brush for Eye Primer and Creams)
(retail: $7.99)

I purchased this brush from the Ulta website a few months ago and what's interesting is that Ulta doesn't tell you that you'll be getting the bonus brush (click here to see the listing on the Ulta site). When I first posted about this brush back in January, I remember thinking that this set with the bonus brush might be a Walmart-exclusive since that's where it was first spotted, but apparently not!



EcoTools Prep & Prime Brush

According to EcoTools, this brush is designed for applying "eye primer and creams."



Unfortunately, this brush did not work for me--at all. It's too big for applying eye primer, and it's too stiff for concealer. It doesn't bend with the contours of my face, and the stiffness of the bristles means that it doesn't help to blend concealer or do fine detailing with foundation or BB/CC creams. I was hoping that I could use it to help blend out foundations around my nose area and other places where you may need a smaller brush for blending, but it's just not pliable enough for areas like the sides of the nose or inside corners of the eyes. 

In addition to using this brush for eye primer application which, again, didn't work for me due to its larger size, EcoTools suggests it for applying "creams." I'm assuming they're talking about eye creams or face creams, and I guess you could use this brush in place of a spatula or something like that, if you use a cream that's in a jar and you're trying to avoid contamination. But it doesn't seem practical to have to wash a brush every time you use a face cream in a jar (vs. washing a spatula). I did try using this brush to help apply my eye cream, but my eye cream just kind of slid all over the place. I much prefer my fingers for eye cream application.

EcoTools Skin Perfecting Brush for BB/CC Creams




Let me preface this review by saying that I have tried this brush with numerous BB and CC creams, as well as with liquid, cream and mousse foundations.

I was hoping that somehow this might be a magical brush that would help me to apply my BB/CC creams in a way that other brushes cannot. Sadly, that's not the case for me. I like the shape, angle, size and density of this brush, but that's it. For me personally, it doesn't do a better job than my stippling brushes in terms of applying my BB/CC creams. It does help to eliminate foundations/BB/CC creams from pooling up in large pores, but that's the case with stippling brushes too. Other than that, I don't find that this brush has any unique traits in terms of BB/CC cream application. If anything, I feel like it doesn't blend my BB/CC creams as well other brushes I own.

When dabbing on my BB/CC creams, this brush has a tendency to "poke" at the skin. Every time I dab this brush onto my skin, I can feel what I would describe as tiny "dull needle" type of sensation. This doesn't occur when I'm buffing--only when I'm dabbing. The bristles are nice and dense, which I appreciate when it comes to BB/CC/foundation application, but I just don't feel that the bristles of this brush are quite as soft as I'm accustomed to when it comes to EcoTools brushes in general. So many EcoTools brushes that I own are ridiculously soft, but this just isn't one of them.

I used this brush with a variety of BB/CC creams and foundations and my trusty Dr. Bronner's Liquid Soap in Peppermint (which gets all of my brushes completely clean with no effort at all) did a great job at cleaning this brush. In fact, this brush was restored to its fresh-from-the-package whiteness every time I cleaned it, until I used this brush with Physicians Formula Youthful Wear Spotless Foundation (which I'll be reviewing in the near future). For some reason, I couldn't get this brush clean after using that foundation, even after six back-to-back cleanings at the sink. I don't know if it's due to the natural plant oils in that foundation or what, but I just wanted to mention that you may run into problems with staining, depending on the makeup you use with this brush. After my Dr. Bronner's didn't work, I tried baby shampoo, regular shampoo and even a quick dip in alcohol but the stains were still there. I'm sure there are brush cleaners that may get out even the toughest of stains (I've heard great things about Parian Spirit), but I love my Dr. Bronner's so I haven't tried those types of heavy-duty cleaners so I can't tell you if they'll work on this particular brush.

FINAL VERDICT: I had high hopes for this brush, but I found that it didn't provide any type of unique value in terms of BB/CC cream application. I love the size, shape, angle and density of this brush, but the bristles have a tendency to poke at my skin and, overall, I don't like the way this brush blends out my makeup. I have better results with stippling brushes (including the now-discontinued EcoTools stippling brush from the Alicia Silverstone set) when it comes to BB/CC creams, and I also like using my plain ol' fingers for BB/CC cream application. Sadly, this brush is not a love-match for me, and neither is the bonus Prep & Prime Brush.

Do you own the EcoTools Skin Perfecting Brush for BB/CC Creams? If so, I would absolutely love to hear how it's been working for YOU.

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

23 comments

  1. Hmm. Looks like I might just have to splurge and get the Urban Decay Optical Blurring Brush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this brush, not for BB/CC creams, but for regular liquid foundation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It wasn't incredible for BB creams, but I got mine on sale, and I'm satisfied with its foundation application.

      Delete
  3. I think the larger brush is just ok... Like Tricia said, I like it more for regular foundation. I love the eye brush though!! I use it to apply my concealer under my eyes, then blend with my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pick up pretty much every Ecotools brush I find.. but I was not a fan of this one either. Something off about the texture of the bristles. I like either the bronzing brush http://www.walmart.com/ip/EcoTools-Bamboo-Bronzer-Brush-1229/20880423 or the flat top buffing brush http://www.walmart.com/ip/EcoTools-Custom-Coverage-Buffing-Brush/22576826 for foundation/BB creme. If they would make the bronzer the size of the flat top I'd be even happier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also own this brush and did not like it, same issues you had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for saving me some money! I love my Eco Tools, but this doesn't sound like it will work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review! I find that stiff brushes are really useful for blending cream eyeshadows, especially ones that set quickly like the Maybelline Color Tattoos, so that could be a purpose for the smaller brush.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I was disappointed in this brush too. The bristles poke painfully if you use it to pat product on, and although the shape is nice it doesn't work any better than my ELF stippling brush (which has the advantage of not feeling like I'm stabbing myself with tiny sticks when I use it).

    I do like the Prep & Prime Brush for blending out my concealer. I use NYX HD in a jar, which is a pretty thick formula. I apply it with my finger and use the brush to blend out the edges and it does a nice job imo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought this brush last month at the Ulta store and did not get the bonus brush. I'm not too disappointed that I didn't get the other brush because I really don't need a brush to put on my eyeshadow primer. I do like this brush for liquid foundation. I think it's a nice brush for the money and blends my foundation nicely. I also did not experience any poking of bristles like you did, G. I have cleaned mine and it is stained but I have just been using shampoo, not a special brush cleaner. Thanks for your review :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. have you tried real techniques? they are the best. i love the expert face brush with the buffing brush, or the stippling brush with the buffing brush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, RT are really tops! My second fav is the Rite Aid foundation brush. G., speaking of the PF Spotless...how pathetic is that "special" brush that comes with it?? Plus they reccomend dripping the foundation into the bristles, which only makes you lose all the product into them. I've been dripping some onto a paper plate, then dab my RA foundation brush into it, works well so far...but even the lightest shade could be lighter imo.

      Delete
  11. What a bummer. I was curious about this brush because I love their Airbrush Concealer brush.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a bummer!!! If I can find a deal on this, I think I'll fall for it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am curious what is your fav brush for foundations is? I havent found any they all just make the product sit on top of my skin...giving the RT sponge a go much better than a brush but the flawless finish still eludes me....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the RT buffing brush. It takes a time or 2 to get the hang of it, but it's great.

      Delete
  14. The sephora pro airbrush 56 is life changing!! It applies my mineral, liquid, and mousse foundations flawlessly. Well worth the price which is a little hard to get past at first. If you think you've given up on a foundation try again with this brush and you might be surprised! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just bought my first Eco brush yesterday (the kabuki one). Thank you for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have this set. I use the smaller one for eyeshadow, and the larger one for regular liquid foundation, and I really both.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bought this brush set and it stained the first time I used it that I vowed never to use it again. I guess I ought to return it but I threw the sleeve it came in away. Really not happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used it with my PF Super CC+ but I always felt that it got streaky when I tried to blend it- I get better results with my fingers or a sponge. Maybe I'll try using it with regular foundation like some others have suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bought these. I use the "eye primer" brush to pat in/blend my liquid concealer (Milani or Revlon Age Defying) under my eyes and think it works well for this purpose.

    The BB/CC cream brush is too prickly and doesn't give/bend enough--a real disappointment after I bought the Ecotools kabuki brush set (with the stubby handles) which give/bend too much-- but at least they're soft.

    For buffing I prefer a flat top or angled flat top kabuki from a cheap set I found on Amazon. In the reviews these are purported to be dupes of Sigma kabuki brushes and I'm impressed- they are dense and soft and a pleasure to buff with and cost less than $30 for a handful of brushes.

    Real Techniques brushes are my next top choice, although they are not as soft as the Sigma knockoffs, they are very affordable and effective.

    This Ecotools BB/CC cream brush misses the mark. Still have it, but it's on my "giveaway" list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had the same issues but it does work well for me applying cream blushes. And the eye prime brush for cream shadows.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig