Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, March 15, 2014

Spotted! New Orly Color Blast line (40 shades + 7 treatments)

Here's something interesting for you! After a quick Google search, I discovered that in 2011, Orly came out with a line of polishes for Canadian drugstores called Color Blast by Orly. I believe this was sort of an offshoot line for drugstores in the same vein as Nicole by OPI is for OPI. I don't think this line lived for very long because, in 2012, I noticed that various nail bloggers were posting swatches of shades from the Color Blast by Orly line that they found at places like Ross and TJ Maxx. But I could be wrong about that--if you're in Canada, please let us know if this line is still available there?

There's a good photo here of what the bottles from the original line looked like. As you're about to see, the NEW Orly Color Blast line has a completely different bottle, and the name of the line has changed slightly as well (it was "Color Blast by Orly" and now it's "Orly Color Blast").

If I were to make a guess (and this is just a guess), I would say that this is, as mentioned above, Orly's new offshoot brand for the drugstore/mass market in the same way that OPI has Nicole by OPI. The pricing is similar to the difference between OPI and Nicole by OPI (just a few dollars) but more on that in a moment!

I'm going to start with pics of the entire display that's now popping up at Kmart stores (by the way, Kmart has REALLY redone its cosmetics/nail polish department recently and added a bunch of new brands/products, so if you haven't stopped by Kmart in a while, it's definitely worth a trip--I'll be doing another post on that later).

These pics are courtesy of longtime reader Allison (@allibally on Instagram). Allison found this display at her local Kmart recently (NOTE: longtime reader JenJen just told me that she spotted this display at her local Meijer recently, so it's not exclusive to Kmart and you might be able to find it at other retailers in your area soon):

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap
NEW Orly Color Blast line at Kmart
(retail: $6.99 each, 0.37 oz)


There are 40 shades in this line and seven treatments. Regarding the shade names, the first line is the name of the shade and the second line is the finish category. For example, the polish below called "Rainbow Color Flip" refers to the shade name (Rainbow) and the finish family (Color Flip). Color Flip is Orly's name for duochromes. 

FIRST ROW:

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

SECOND ROW:

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

THIRD ROW:

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

FOURTH ROW:

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

FIFTH ROW:

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

SIXTH ROW:

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

Here's a closer look at one of the bottles:

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Allison for Nouveau Cheap

If you're already an Orly fan, then you probably noticed that some of the shades look like existing shades from the regular Orly line. For example, the shade Rainbow in the "Color Flip" finish looks like the original Orly Space Cadet to me. 

You might have noticed that on the display, you can see a reference to "$2.33" as well as "$6.99". These polishes are definitely $6.99--the "2.33" price is in reference to the price per 0.10 oz. Reader Gabby (@gabmirandaaa on Instagram) shared this pic (she also spotted this display at Kmart) which clarifies it a bit more:

image credit: Gabby for Nouveau Cheap

Since the bottles are 0.37 oz, you can see that $2.33 x 3 = $6.99 (total price). Kmart rounded down rather than up since the bottles contain 0.37 oz and I think the price, had they rounded UP, would be $7.23 (Mr. G and I both suck at math, but I think that's right). Anyway, using their price structuring, it's $6.99 and that's all we really need to know.

Gabby also shared this pic of the display at her Kmart:

image credit: Gabby for Nouveau Cheap

I circled the Orly Color Blast display above, to give you perspective in terms of how this compares to other polish lines within the department.

Reader Jennifer, who was the first to bring this new Color Blast line to my attention, shared this pic of the bottle she purchased at her local Kmart:

image credit: Jennifer for Nouveau Cheap
Orly Color Blast Black Holo

 image credit: Jennifer for Nouveau Cheap

Jennifer also shared this comparison of a regular Orly polish to an Orly Color Blast polish:

Orly Nail Lacquer (0.6 oz)
Orly Color Blast (0.37 oz)

Regular Orly polishes contain 0.6 oz of product and retail for between $8 and $9 at most places (certain limited edition shades can retail for $10). Orly Color Blast polishes contain 0.37 oz of product and retail for $6.99 at Kmart. Clearly, the regular Orly polishes are a better deal, but if you can't easily find Orly in your area, the Color Blast polishes could be worth it when you factor in gas money, shipping fees, etc. Plus, Kmart often runs sales, so you could wait for a sale to get a better price.

If this is, as I guessed earlier, Orly's version of OPI's Nicole by OPI offshoot line for the drugstore/mass market, then the pricing is comparable (OPI polishes retail at most places for $8 or $9, and Nicole by OPI polishes retail for $7 at most places). BUT, for both OPI and Nicole by OPI, you get 0.5 oz per bottle. I think that the Orly Color Blast polishes would be better at a $4.99 price point considering you only get 0.37 per bottle, but that's just my opinion!

And again, I don't know how (or if) the formula differs between Orly and Orly Color Blast, but like I said before, some of these colors look similar between the two lines (I obviously cannot confirm any dupes since I don't yet own any Color Blast shades). So maybe this could be more like China Glaze and Salon Perfect (both are made by AII and share some of the same shades, but with a slightly different formula and a different price point). Or maybe it's like Wet n Wild and Spoiled by Wet n Wild (some of the shades are shared by both brands but the bottle/brush is different). Who knows! I look forward to seeing polish bloggers review these, and I also look forward to hearing YOUR take on them if you try them.

I hope this post gives you a better idea of the new Orly Color Blast line, and I would love to know if you've spotted this new line in your area (and where)!

Thanks so very much, Allison, Gabby and Jennifer, for the great pictures and information. I truly appreciate it!
SHARE:

29 comments

  1. I just saw these a few hours ago at my Bed, Bath & Beyond! They were $6.99 there too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to add they were at the BB&B in Tulsa, OK on 71st Street. I didn't see the treatments there and a lot of empty holes in the display, but that could have been because it was a newer set up.

      Delete
    2. Aaaah, thank you so much for confining the price is the same there!!

      Delete
  2. The old orly at Shoppers and rexall had pretty meh colors, and were more expensive than I wanted to spend. I don't think Americans were missing out.
    I hope this new line comes to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this display at my Kmart recently, but just assumed they were all the existing Orly polishes in a smaller bottle, so I didn't give it a second look. I guess I'll have to check it out a little more closely next time I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to head to K-Mart!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose Chrome Foil looks like Rage, which is one of my favorite Orly polishes!

    G, thanks for the heads-up on Kmart, I'll have to go check out my local store's beauty department!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in Canada (west coast) and I've never heard of Color Blast nail polish. Shoppers Drug Mart here does have an exclusive Quo by Orly line of cosmetics though. It's a little confusing because some of the polishes, like the recent Orly Galaxy collection, is available here but packaged with the Quo by Orly branding and a different name. The polish itself seems exactly the same though!

    It doesn't look like these new Color Blast polishes are the same as the Quo by Orly line. I like that they have the type of finish listed. I wish more companies would do that, especially for lip products. I'm not a fan of surprise!glitter in my lipsticks LOL. I hope this collection comes to Canada because some of these polishes look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about listing finishes. I hate when I buy a gorgeous color of lipstick only to get the dreaded frost! L'Oreal seems to do this the most so I make sure to do my homework online before buying in store.

      Delete
  7. Saw these on a full sidekick display ay my Meijer too. I did notice at first glance some very dupey looking colors too. But I'm a huge Orly fan, so I prefer the full size bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen this yet but I think they're repackaged regular Orly. Someone on makeup alley noticed one of them looking like sparkling garbag. I wish they were just a bit cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. we have regular Orly at Sally's and Quo by Orly at SDM, which are dupes of older Orly collections.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw these a few weeks ago in NJ at Harmon. I didn't think much of it--because as you said, smaller bottle and higher price point. So I skipped

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't regular Orly bottles $6.99 at Sally's? They seem way overpriced. But the Tennis Ball color needs to find its way to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had them at Rexall in Toronto last year

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how they have the little nail showing you what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A full bottle is 6.99 regularly at Sally's and even cheaper if you are a beauty club member and there are tons of Sally's sales. I can't believe the price of this line! That said, The one named Sky Blue looks like it could be either Orly's Sky Blue Pink or Orly's Angel Rain. That is the only one I want to check out or see swatched because those two Orly shades are gone and I really like them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Going to Kmart asap! I hope these are there. Pastel Violet Creme I must have! (Amongst others)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Also with this price and you wanted one or more and have points on your Kmart/Sears Reward card it can reduce the cost or even get it free!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw these at The Christmas Tree Shop the other day while I was there. I thought they were cute, but I echo a couple of the other readers in thinking that they are on the high side. I didn't buy any because they were $6.99 and a small bottle. But they sure are cute! I think I'm going to wait for a sale or some other promo before picking any up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Black Holo" looks pretty much exactly like "I Wear My Sunglasses at Night" from Orly's Glitter FX collection last year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute but pricey for size, that said a few of them really catch my eye and love the little nail swatches! Hope to see elsewhere as BBB here has no my and I don't even know where the closest Kmart is, most closed :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found this just now while searching for possible swatches from this line. http://70.32.83.176/color-blast/ it looks like a possible list of the colors from the first line? I saw the new line at Kmart tonight in Fort Myers, FL. I was really surprised by that though as this is a run down store and they had old polishes mixed with new. Like Sinful's with the old caps that didn't have the SC on the cap.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad they kept the awesome grippy caps, but it's bummer they made the bottles smaller and more costly by the ounce. I can't see myself paying $7 for what is essentially only slightly larger than a mini. :/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't seen these in person, but based on the swatches, these colors might also be dupes:

    Rose Chrome Foil = Rage
    Sky Blue Color Flip = Sky Blue Pink
    Turquoise Color Flip = Halley's Comet
    Magenta Gloss Glitter = Miss Conduct
    Plum/Gold Color Flip = Oui

    I also feel like I've seen Royal Purple Color Flip, but I can't remember the name of the corresponding Orly color.

    ReplyDelete
  23. In canada we have always had Quo by Orly in shoppers drug marts for a long time, but I have never seen this version! The new summer 2014 quo by orly collection is pretty much exactly dupes for the orly baked 2014 collection - I don't have both to compare but online swatches suggest this is the case. Otherwise quo by orly polishes are different from regular orly, this is the first time I noticed a complete dupe set!!! And yes quo by orly is still pricey - 10.99 where I am!

    ReplyDelete
  24. As I type this, I am waiting for Scarlet to dry. Also picked up Magenta, both from Kohls. They're smaller, yes, but amazing colors. I Wish I had seen black holo. Would have gotten that, too. The colors are all fucking gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig